Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

what huge promotional pushes have sage and van zant received? being on dana white lookin for a fight?

Pvz was on network television or whatever for awhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think dj is great and I understand why he wants tj to prove he can make weight, but I don't understand what makes the UFC more evil than usual here

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
It seems overly simple but a lot of guys made "do not play guard for any reason and immediately scramble to stand up before you are even down" part of their game. Chuck and aldo spring to mind. But also, I can think of chuck being stuck in guard and getting smashed against rampage and aldo being unable to scramble against max without getting shitrocked

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

His defense was actually really good for someone who just got knocked down with punches and kept getting punched. Most dudes would have been finished right but Aldo kept moving. Every other time has been when he's tired and already winning.

Yeah its entirely speculative but at the start he was trying to create space and scramble rather than try to eliminate space and reclaim half guard/guard. Could he have avoided those big long shots if he wasn't trying to scramble? Who knows

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Also tying Lewis and DJ together: that is why people think they could beat up lighter weight champions. There are all kinds of regular burly gentleman walking around that could have a good shot of beating up the best p4p fighter alive. Size and strength matter a lot, but the disparity has to be quite large to really overcome a skill gap. Unfortunately, dj is like 150 max and 1/2 of the US population weigh 100 pounds more than him

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

horse poo poo. frank walks around at 155 and regularly beat the poo poo out of guys who weighed 175/180 lbs shredded who also happened to be among the best fighters in the world.

Frankie beat a bunch of guys who ended up at 145 and lost twice to a guy whose main skill was big thighs

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I walk around at like 210 and once spent a minute unable to get out from under the side control of a (very low level) female pro strawweight. Mighty Mouse would easily handle me in a grappling match and beat me even easier if striking came into play, and I'm willing to bet I'm more fit/capable to fight than 90% of the population.

That rules.

This now has my wondering if I could escape from beneath an 80 pound non-elite pro woman and I'm going to go against the grain here and say I probably could

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

and are also among the most skilled mixed martial artists in the world

you're not going to get an argument from me about size and strength mattering, but random joe who weighs 240 would get hammered by mighty mouse, it wouldnt be close, and no he wouldn't really have a chance. the fact that a lot of people think they would have a shot at beating the 5'3 best fighter in the world because they weigh more is really funny and seems at odds with my experience in combat sports between people who know what they're doing an people who don't, and then going to the extreme ends of both scales.

Demian Maia, arguably the greatest MMA grappler of all time and has a claim to top 10 bjj practitioners of all time, couldn't beat Mark Munoz who was approx the same size because mark was too strong to get dragged to the ground. And we can all agree that Mark Munoz had basically no training

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

frankly its not that easy to switch from 1 sport to another even if you happen to be good at both. because you will be competing with people whove done the sport since they were children. additionally maybe someone would rather make a career in the sport that pays less but they happen to enjoy more. you die at the end of your life anyway so theres no point doing a job that you hate

It really really really depends on the sport. Some sports are relatively easy to transfer into at an elite level and don't require an awful lot of sport specific training and rather require you to be strong, fast, and/or powerful (bobsled from sprinting/football/etc, powerlifting from gymnastics/football/shot put etc). There are positions in football that have lower barrier to entries skill wise and you can get to at or around the elite level if you are just an extravagantly burly boy

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Brock Lesnar, probably the best physical talent the division has ever seen, couldn't make it onto an NFL team.

Iirc he got an NFL Europe offer despite not having much football experience

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Another good example is Clara Hughes, who rode the bike and won Olympic medals. This led to her having the sport specific skill of "giant quads" and she started speed skating and used somehow transfered this intangible skill into winning gold medals in speed skating.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

thats not such a good example because track cycling, time trialling and speed skating are extremely similar in a lot more ways than just requiring bigass quads+glutes, even the tactical nuances of one sport are relevant to the other, theyre raced in very similar ways and the logistics of speed skating mean a lot of their training is done on a bike anyway. theres a long history of athletes switching successfully between the two. not to mention shes a singular talent in a sea of lesser talent and hardly a case study of how easy it is for the average professional athlete to go from 1 world class discipline to another. its not so easily done at the professional level. maybe at the high school level

Yeah I only thought of Clara because I was really thinking of bobsled and powerlifting where an enormous part is bigass asses. I'm just saying that there is a lot of sports that are transferable to other sports at near-elite and elite levels. Obviously it's not happening every day and the herschel walkers are stupendous athletes. But there are people who have low level professional success at sports that they haven't done enormous amounts of sport specific training for just because there is a large overlap in required skills and training protocols

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Hunt made him work really hard and walked him down non stop and lewis crumpled ubder the prrssure but still avoided getting ko'ed which was commendable

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Fs1 is replaying the thing and seeing dan kelly eat that left from brunson still makes me sad

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
You should watch the fights of takanori gomi

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Conor will lose because his visualization powers conjured up himself as orthodox snd pbf as a,southpaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Johny missed weight

• Locked thread