Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gay Horney posted:

I read the thing and saw he doesn't get points I was just thinking more in terms of boosting his numbers so he has more bargaining power with the UFC, where the real money is.

Yeah but even if he does get points and numbers, you're just throwing money at the people who are loving him over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

(In Ned Flanders's beatnik Dad's voice): "We don't know how to market you, man! We've tried nothing, and we're all out of ideas!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Veskit posted:

I've been following it enough but i severely doubt that there's a written minimum that you are allowed to get points on a PPV fight during the negotiations of the fight itself. There's a difference between you get no points on the fight, and you'll start accruing points when you hit this amount of buys. If you think about it that's not even enforceable

If you go back one page you'll see a copy-and-paste from a UFC contract that shows exactly what that scale is.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TJ's going to kill himself to make weight and then get smashed by DJ in the ring. This will rule.

I mean... wolf tickets.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Snowman_McK posted:

Lineker is substantially smaller, like by a full three inches (That's the height difference between JDS and Michael Bisping), has fought at featherweight (or tried to) 8 times, and has missed weight fully half those times

flyweight, but yeah. But Lineker also has a head the size of a pumpkin.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Snowman_McK posted:

Anthony Pettis does not, was a tiny lightweight, and still hosed up his weight cut.

And Anthony Johnson has wins over a top-ten Heavyweight but was able to make Welterweight. And then he missed weight at Middleweight. And Demian Maia fought for the title at Middleweight and is now a top-ranked Welterweight.

Now that we have enough data points to accurately assess TJ's ability to make 125, I think that :shrek:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like how Cody pulls and bobs his head till he gets a reaction, then makes like he's going to jerk back but suddenly comes instead and sticks all over Dom.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skip My Posts posted:

eat train sleep

jesus christ. This one is simple but good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mewse posted:

Good on Holm for biding her time for that shot, too. It felt pretty absurd when Goddard had to step in and warn both fighters for timidity, that was not a fight I was expecting to end with a KO.

Mir-Mirko

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the Machidas were so close to being right

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dan Didio posted:

Johnny Hendricks missed fuckin weight!!!

Significant weight-missers in the UFC

John Lineker 5 (two divisions)
Charles Oliviera 4
Kelvin Gastleum 4
Johny Hendricks 4 (one bout cancelled, two divisions)
Anthony Johnson 3 (two divisions)
Thiago Alves 3 (two divisions)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Evinger is cool enough that I'll cheer for her. She's also probably Cyborg's best opponent since the first Marloes Coenen fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rigel posted:

Holy crap, 214 is starting to look kinda bananas

https://twitter.com/UFCONFOX/status/880200625316806656

:peanut:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lid posted:

Is Demian Maia the first fighter to fight their way up to a title shot in two different divisions, unlike the usual "was a contender/champ at the other weight so lets fast lane them to the title"?

Demetrious Johnson for sure. Machida had to beat Munoz and Mousassi at 185 before he fought Weidman.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah DJ's complaint was that they kept switching things around on him and jerking him around while DJ played nice for years through the loss of major sponsors and non-promotion. I got the impression from his post that Ray Borg just happened to be the name that was lined up when he finally put his foot down.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

well, he doesn't really need one since borg is a legitimate contender at 125, and mm was already forced into agreeing to this fight under his usual conditions.

This is the bit that people keep conveniently forgetting, causing this discussion to become an agonizing circle.

So anyway... when are our next fights? Friday? Oh hey the other Johnson is fighting Justin Gatchy. And Ed Herman vs C.B. Dollaway, in what is basically a parody of a prelim middleweight fight. And Teruto is fighting Gray Maynard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nm

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 30, 2017

• Locked thread