Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Thought Hughes was retired. Weird that he's still training.

I guess this is why BJ knew better than to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Just to be clear, I know guys train after they retire. I was just making a bad joke.

Do you think Matt Hughes wife will try to have sex with him while he's in critical condition?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Does boxing have a proportionally higher rate of death than other combat sports? If so, why?

Because instead of getting stunned, knocked down, and tko'd like in mma you get repeatedly battered to the brain by a guy with enough padding on his hands to just daze you slightly over and over.

After that occurs for a long time, it's really bad on your brain.

Usually it's the fights that go 10 rounds. Crazy that happened in 2.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Jesus Christ, Johny. In your home state no less.

His career sure took a nosedive quickly. He's done.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

God drat, Yamasaki.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Ferguson is God awful as an analyst. I don't even know how he got that gig. Do they not screen test them at all?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Memento posted:

Just watched the fight night with my wife. Her best take was "wow look at Johny Hendricks' tan. He clearly spends a lot of time walking around with his shirt off.

I bet everyone around him wishes he wouldn't"

He goes shirtless most of the time to counteract the meat sweats after every meal.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Is Mighty Mouse getting points or money based on the PPV profitability? If so, he should fight TJ. If not, he should fight a can. If he's making the same amount, there's no reason to take the risk.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Auron posted:

The endless cycle

DJ would 100% make more money fighting TJ; whether is contractually or through a backdoor deal. It wasn't going to be the main of a PPV anyways.

and yes its a coward move to duck somebody to fight somebody easier

Oh the old "backdoor deal." Please elaborate on this sweet deal where Dana White showers MM with cash money out of the goodness of his heart.

Then most UFC fighters are cowards because I god drat guarantee you that you if you put the same amount of cash on the line and told any fighter they can face someone that's a real threat or someone they'll beat handily, they're choosing the easy fight. It's a smart business decision. This isn't the schoolyard where they're trying to figure out who the toughest 9 year old is. They're trying to make money because this is their occupation.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Auron posted:

Yeah there's been multiple instances where fighters have been open about their purse not exactly being their pay; Cowboy has come forward on multiple occasions IIRC.

Yes, DJ wants to make money, then loving fight somebody that's going to make you more money and/or help your brand.

So since Cowboy got some extra money that means MM will too? I have a hard time believing that especially given the fact that Dana and the UFC aren't particularly fond of MM since he doesn't follow along like a yes man with their plans.

The TJ fight isn't going to make him more money, that's the point everyone is making. The TJ fight isn't going to help his brand if he loses it and it may not help even if he wins because TJ isn't a marquee name. It has awful risk/reward which is the point.

And call it ducking or whatever the hell you want. If someone turns down a fight for monetary reasons, I have a hard time calling that "ducking." Is McGregor ducking every UFC fighter because he's going to fight Mayweather for gobs of cash?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The Assassination of Dana White's Character by The Coward Demetrious Johnson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Who needs a UFC belt when you have a Little Caesar's pizza box chair?

The Reebok deal ruined Johny's entrance attire for his next fight.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 2, 2017

• Locked thread