Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Work Friend Keven posted:

The highest buys a DJ lead ppv has ever done is 125k, you can't get ppv points on nothing.

Yeah I can't remember how the points are structured, but you have to clear a certain threshold to get paid on points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

The only thing worse than "bland or boring fighters" are fighters who are trying to ape people like Conor and Chael when they have no charisma or personality. The only thing I think more fighters should do is have an opponent in mind for the post fight interview rather than "I'll fight anyone".

Apparently that's too hard because 99% of fighters say that poo poo post-fight. It's obnoxious because generally it's not true and most guys are in it to get paid and would want to fight a Conor McGregor to get a huge payday.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Gay Horney posted:

Yeah why would the UFC promote its most dominant champion?

Because the most dominant champion sold fewer PPV buys than James Toney and his gold belt in jiu-jitsu.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Rigel posted:

lol, that one is a classic "stupid or liar"

I hope they are lying to us when they say they can't promote Cody vs DJ

we'll have to find out next time Cody headlines, because Cody vs. Cruz was attached to a Rousey headlining PPV.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I mean, are the Diaz brothers actually a draw though

Yes, they just never want to fight ever unless they get paid (as they should)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

it seems like sage northcutt and PVZ...own!?!?!?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Cyber Dog posted:

The thing is, you don't have to promote DJ. Just give the mic to the other people, put them on main cards, etc. Those that stand out are gonna fight him and sell it.

all of DJ's opponents are worse at promotion than he is

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If the division is a net loss to the UFC, maybe the new owners just don't feel like doing poo poo with them anymore and this is all just a pretense to cut loose a bunch of roster guys.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

TheCool69 posted:

I find it pretty harrowing that Dana seems to be intentionally loving with DJ..

I mean why ? Why treat an champion and a "Company guy" so lovely? What is the benefit in that?

Eventhough the flyweights have not made McGregor money for the Company it's not like UFC is in the red because of them? They are still making Money and selling ppvs and adtime?

WME-IMG inherited like $2bn of debt from the purchase of the UFC, that is a shitload of debt to pay off and maybe they think they can further cut salaries and expenses.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Burning all of the bridges is usually not a sound business strategy for people in debt.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-is-doomed-quotes-from-ceo-eddie-lampert-2017-6

capitalism.txt

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Veskit posted:

I've been following it enough but i severely doubt that there's a written minimum that you are allowed to get points on a PPV fight during the negotiations of the fight itself. There's a difference between you get no points on the fight, and you'll start accruing points when you hit this amount of buys. If you think about it that's not even enforceable

look up Eddie Alvarez' contract offer that came out when he was suing Bellator. PPV points are tiered in that more buys = you get more money, but you've got to cross a 200k buys threshold to get paid on points.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Why is the UFC refusing to give him points if he's getting less than 100k buys?

Because it's in the contract he signed.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Veskit posted:

Yeah I saw that but that's not really what Dana said is it?

I'm not speaking to what Dana said, I'm speaking to what YOU said and

Veskit posted:

I've been following it enough but i severely doubt that there's a written minimum that you are allowed to get points on a PPV fight during the negotiations of the fight itself. There's a difference between you get no points on the fight, and you'll start accruing points when you hit this amount of buys. If you think about it that's not even enforceable

Like it's in the contract itself. You don't get paid on points until 200k+ buys. This is not speculation.

Like the only person I can think of that contested his contract was Randy when he tried to leave to fight Fedor, and he lost.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Best Friends posted:

On the one hand, this guy is extremely good at basketball, and is totally reliable. On the other hand, he never once got in a screaming argument with another basketball player. Look, as a fan, all I'm saying is I'm going to need a detailed breakdown of how he's helping the NBA's bottom line before I agree it's bullshit that management routinely kidnaps him and hits him with hammers.

Basketball is a real sport, MMA is barely a step removed from pro wrestling.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's also not really true that DJ hasn't been promoted. He headlined 3 Fox cards in a row and his drawing ability on PPV after that is middling to none.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

Germaine De Randamie winning the 145 title in controversy then immediately relinquishing it is probably the most embarrassing title run in UFC history.

the title is running back to non-existence, sounds good to me

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

JaySB posted:

Brendan Schaub is just sitting there like :smug:

I'm not saying that any of the current UFC Heavyweights could hack it in the NFL. It just puzzles me that they choose to dedicate their lives to the lowest paying of the contact sports. There's a reason we haven't seen a great heavyweight boxer for a long time. These guys all decided they could try to make it to the NFL or NBA.

take a look at derrick lewis going to town on some ribs pre-fight and tell me that he's "dedicated" his life to MMA.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Put RJJ vs. Anderson on the undercard plz

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The main event is gonna start at 10pm PST, go 10 rounds, and will be thoroughly unremarkable unless Floyd effortlessly clowning Conor gets you hard.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

This is why the UFC needs a Universal Championship.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Triticum Guzzler posted:

[gsp drops to his knees] pleaze, i want to turn dat life support off so bad. pleaze, give it to me!

:vince:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

nobody is going to be able to do what conor did anymore wrt leverage, they'll just make more meaningless belts and strip the champ

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

all hail the best flyweight of all time, sergio pettis or ray borg

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

...and the pitch! posted:

Plus he was mean to the Maineiac

sometiems a borken clock etc. etc.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

i like to think that Matt Hughes got fired for giving Ari Emanuel a swirlie

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

I thought I read somewhere that the studio got cold feet about her acting ability.

TLDR - Apparently Edmund is also her acting coach.

*ronda improvs, badly as the director looks on in disgust and the line producer mean mugs her*
CHAMP. You can do whatever you want!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Floyd Mayweather is already dead, he cannot hope to visualize and manifest his future like Conor does.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

i don't bet on mma but boetsch was probably a good guy to bet on because johny is fat and dumb and like half a foot shorter

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Scrapez posted:

Ferguson is God awful as an analyst. I don't even know how he got that gig. Do they not screen test them at all?

in the past maybe Lorenzo and Dana would keep poo poo like this from happening, but in the WME world they have no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

Hendo needs to unretire so he can swirlie Ari Gold or some poo poo.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Tony Ferguson is a belligerent drunk who accused a guy who was having custody issues of being a deadbeat dad because of his own daddy issues. That he's weird as an analyst should've been a given.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

coconono posted:

if DJ told more people to suck his dick and called Samoa Joe fat, like a whole lot, I would watch his fights.

same

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

He's actually the shortest reigning champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Matoi Ryuko posted:

huge borg fan here; resistance is futile lol

Borg? Sounds Swedish.

• Locked thread