Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JaySB posted:

The Vitor fight was bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

...and the pitch! posted:

Way to go Max Holloway.

Was there anything controversial last night?

Mario Yamasaki let a guy eat around 30 seconds of unanswered clean ground and pound shots before mercifully calling an end to a fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is going to end up with him fighting TJ at 135 for the interim title.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Work Friend Keven posted:

The pound for pound goat of all time is going to quit MMA and become a full time binding of isaac streamer because they won't let him fight Ray Bort.

Nah he'll just move up to 135 and wreck everyone there, too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'd almost wanna see a DJ/Cruz rematch first at 135 before anything else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SquirrelGrip posted:

why not let dj fight tj at 135 for an interim

That's my guess is what will happen when they shutter 125.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the PPV points setup has been basically the same forever. We first saw the structure back when Randy was having a contract spat with the UFC.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gay Horney posted:

I've never seen anyone come back to the stool and say "I'm hosed I can't take him" like Potts did, has anything like that ever happened?

Had never watched this before and I can't think of any other time a fighter says that and hasn't quit on the stool.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skip My Posts posted:

where does he say that?

If you have fightpass pull up the fight. It cuts to his corner right after the end of round one and his corner has to convince him to answer the bell.

Edit: lobstermobster posted it a few posts ago.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 9, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KyloWinter posted:

Is CTE worse in football than mma?

Absolutely, but mostly because in football after someone gets concussed they go right back to getting smacked in the head again sometimes within minutes but definitely within weeks. In MMA when someone gets concussed, the fight is usually over, and the person is medically suspended for months on end. The number of subconcussive impacts a football player takes, especially guys on the offensive and defensive line, dwarfs the amount of strikes to the head any fighter absorbs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also, yeah, the number of professional NFL players is extremely small. There are about 70ish per team (counting practice squad) throughout the regular season. Less than 2300 people a year are able to say they were NFL athletes, and many of them will not play more than 2-3 years. Those majority of the players aren't getting million dollar paydays and instead make a few hundred grand, wash out, and open a car dealership before they eventually eat a bullet because they stared at a picture of their own kid for 20 minutes this morning and couldn't figure out who they were.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Offensive lineman is basically wrestling anyways which is part of why Neal was so loving good at it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

willie_dee posted:

Ex UFC fighter turned elctro pop dancer has got a pretty big brand deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XRaMP4QPwU

It looks like they just showed up and robbed an unattended watch store.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

david carmichael posted:

Yeah I only thought of Clara because I was really thinking of bobsled and powerlifting where an enormous part is bigass asses. I'm just saying that there is a lot of sports that are transferable to other sports at near-elite and elite levels. Obviously it's not happening every day and the herschel walkers are stupendous athletes. But there are people who have low level professional success at sports that they haven't done enormous amounts of sport specific training for just because there is a large overlap in required skills and training protocols

I think a prime Bo Jackson could have crossed over to MMA, but Bo Jackson was once in a lifetime.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Southpaugh posted:

Did Lewis gently caress up a weight cut or something vs Hunto? He seemed way more shy about eating shots than normal (even more than I would expect someone to be against Hunt). I only remember him shooting for a very sleepy takedown around R3/4, which Hunt just stepped around. Strikes me as strange that he'd be so timid having called Hunt out in the first place.

I think he was wore out because he spent the entire fight running from Hunt because Hunt hits very loving hard and was surprisingly fast for coming in at 265. Hunt's cardio was on point. Lewis got outworked by one of the best heavyweight kickboxers of all time.

I don't think it's that he was timid, but rather playing smart. At the beginning he was tagging Hunt pretty well with this strategy and he won the first round. Hunt was relentless, though, and just flat wore him out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JaySB posted:

I don't think he underestimated his punching power because there's highlight reel knockouts in abundance when it comes to Hunt. He probably just has never been hit that hard before.

This. Lewis was cautious from the start and it helped win him round 1. He just wasn't expecting the short little pudgy guy to be as fast as he was nor hit quite as hard as he did.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Matoi Ryuko posted:

[in ufc lawyer voice] theres no such thing as a championship fight

Technically true. It's part of their argument against the Ali act covering MMA that their titles are meaningless.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fat

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lloyd Boner posted:

JDS vs Ngannou for 215 in September.

I like this fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Street Horrrsing posted:

Seems like a great way to knock off a contender while not moving jds any closer to another title shot

JDS is going to sleep.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bundt Cake posted:

why not? you think jds is shot?

JDS isn't as good as he once was and is only going to continue to get worse. Ngannou is gonna KO him and it's probably going to be bad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Or Ngannou is going to mystified by a heavyweight who can throw a jab.

I had to watch the Arlovski fight again to see if there were any jabs, but Andrei doesn't get to throw much at all before getting dumpstered.

Ngannou has 20lbs and a 6 inch reach advantage over JDS, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm not saying JDS is completely shot nor am I trying to say that he couldn't wreck probably more than half the current heavyweight roster without much trouble.

Francis Ngannou is a loving killer though that is bigger, stronger, and a lot younger than him, though. (just had to look it up and JDS is a few months older than me :suicide:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also Conor has lost in hilarious ways before. See for example Nate Diaz and Joe Duffy fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkjwIZhT5hg&t=117s

• Locked thread