Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Surely the newspaper can give Caleb a more flattering photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

snoremac posted:

Surely the newspaper can give Caleb a more flattering photo.

When you look like a star mole's anus, that's probably as flattering as it's gonna get.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Thanks Pauline

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Zenithe posted:

Thanks Pauline

So when Pauline comes back again in ten years who will be the new evil after China then Islam?

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

So when Pauline comes back again in ten years who will be the new evil after China then Islam?
India?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cyborgs.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Cybernetic Indians.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Americans

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Not sure if :thejoke: but Pauline does anticipate a cyborg Indian (who is also a Chinese lesbian) being the new supreme leader in 2050.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/32215758/asian-lesbian-cyborg-pauline-hanson-book-the-truth-one-nation/#page1

quote:

Perhaps the strangest claim in the book is that Australia would soon be overrun by Asians if it did not cease all immigration, continuing to suggest that by the year 2050, Australia would be ruled by President Poona Li Hung, a part-cyborg lesbian of Chinese and Indian descent.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Pauline Hanson: "My racism is augmented."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/inside-the-greyhound-export-racket-ringleaders-found-guilty-of-464-charges-20170602-gwiy5s.html :(

Good loving work NSW Labor you fuckwits

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Not sure if :thejoke: but Pauline does anticipate a cyborg Indian (who is also a Chinese lesbian) being the new supreme leader in 2050.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/32215758/asian-lesbian-cyborg-pauline-hanson-book-the-truth-one-nation/#page1

Is she posting from the Shadowrun universe? Maybe she's reading an old source book - the next thing she's going to complain about is Elves taking over the East Timor oil fields.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 4, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Why do we have such an antagonistic relationship with East Timor anyway? I know we want to steal their resources, but aren't there more subtle ways to do it? Seems like a wasted opportunity to set up a client state.

[Edit: after reading the Wikipedia page it appears that's what we're trying to do, but we're not that good at it.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 4, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

open24hours posted:

Why do we have such an antagonistic relationship with East Timor anyway? I know we want to steal their resources, but aren't there more subtle ways to do it? Seems like a wasted opportunity to set up a client state.

[Edit: after reading the Wikipedia page it appears that's what we're trying to do, but we're not that good at it.]

Australian diplomacy and subtle don't exactly go hand in hand.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Australian diplomacy and subtle don't exactly go hand in hand.

I was under the assumption that most of the poo poo in East Timor was Americas fault, and we were licking their boots?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Zenithe posted:

I was under the assumption that most of the poo poo in East Timor was Americas fault, and we were licking their boots?

A lot happened since 1975.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Dastyari was in Borough having a meal when it was attacked [ABC]. Definitely sounds like he wasn't in much danger but that doesn't sound like a fun place to have been at all.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

open24hours posted:

Our intentions were clear the moment we sent John Farnham.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Graic Gabtar posted:

Our intentions were clear the moment we sent John Farnham.

Pretty sure the Geneva Convention forbid such treatment

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Sorry for the odd request but does anyone know if there's a print article anywhere that summaries the extent of the human rights abuses in the overseas detention camps? Searching for information on the topic brings up a lot of different articles that each focus on one awful element of it at a time but none that I can find that give a big-picture overview and the more specific articles require some understanding of what is happening already.

I have some non-australian friends who have no exposure to this issue at all and I'm having difficulty communicating the entire scope.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
On phone or I'd check but I'd search the Human Rights Commission for a start.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
same

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Serrath posted:

Sorry for the odd request but does anyone know if there's a print article anywhere that summaries the extent of the human rights abuses in the overseas detention camps? Searching for information on the topic brings up a lot of different articles that each focus on one awful element of it at a time but none that I can find that give a big-picture overview and the more specific articles require some understanding of what is happening already.

I have some non-australian friends who have no exposure to this issue at all and I'm having difficulty communicating the entire scope.

I think Amnesty have published a couple of reports over the years

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Serrath posted:

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work/asylum-seekers-and-refugees/publications/forgotten-children-national-inquiry-children
The Forgotten Children Report details a lot of it in relation to children.

http://www.border.gov.au/ReportsandPublications/Documents/reviews-and-inquiries/review-robert-cornall.pdf
This discusses conditions on Manus but is a bit out of date (and helpfully published as an unsearchable PDF).

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13642987.2016.1196903
There's a brief discussion of some of the issues at the end of this article as well.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
It took the ABC 4 agonisingly slow minutes to call the London attacks terrorism after official word was put out that it was in fact a terrorist attack. Imagine how much better the world would be if in fact they were just running their mouths off about what ever the gently caress they felt like instead of doing their job and reporting things as they become known.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Bogan King posted:

It took the ABC 4 agonisingly slow minutes to call the London attacks terrorism after official word was put out that it was in fact a terrorist attack. Imagine how much better the world would be if in fact they were just running their mouths off about what ever the gently caress they felt like instead of doing their job and reporting things as they become known.

that's one of the shitteist things I've ever read

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And it took two "journalists" to write it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Feminism under attack as women defend men’s rights

As a fresh-faced 18-year-old Daisy Cousens left school firmly on board the feminism bandwagon. Like many millennial women she’d been seduced by what she now sees as an “entrenched victim mentality”, convinced the scales were tipped against her because of her sex. “I assumed I’d have to work twice as hard as men for half the recognition and that violent predators lurk around every street corner,” she says.

It took her years to discover she’d been duped. “I realised the feminist view did not reflect my life experiences. I grew suspicious. I couldn’t believe that somehow in Western society women were paid less than men or had fewer rights than men. And given my experience of men, I refused to believe there was an undercurrent of misogyny among all the wonderful men in my life,” says the 28-year-old, who is part of a growing global band of female activists speaking out about the demonisation of men. Some of the leading lights in this group will hit our shores next month to speak at an international men’s issues conference.

Cousens’s turnaround happened when she was working as a research assistant at the Menzies Research Centre, which led her to start asking questions. She found, for instance, that the much heralded “wage gap” largely could be explained by differences in men and women’s work and lifestyle ­choices. That was the beginning.

Cousens discovered a thriving online world questioning the feminist narrative and revealing the silencing of critical issues affecting men and boys. She’s now writing — mainly in The Spectator Australia and Quadrant — about what she sees as a “silent war on men”.

She is one of many women hosting screenings of Cassie Jaye’s controversial documentary The Red Pill, in which the young feminist filmmaker looks seriously at men’s issues and decides they warrant proper attention. Jaye renounced her feminism in protest against the way extremists were silencing discussion of such matters. Ironically Australia is the only country to ban a series of screenings in response to protests from small groups of feminists.

Cousens is confident of a full house for her screening, given the media coverage planned for Jaye’s appearance at the International Conference on Men’s Issues on the Gold Coast from Friday to June 12. The conference promises to be an interesting time for Cousens because, as a wannabe Honey Badger, she’ll also be meeting Karen Straughan and that’s as good as it gets.

Straughan, another speaker at ICMI, is one of the founders of the Honey Badger Brigade, a band of brash, witty female activists who’ve taken up the fight for a better deal for men and boys. Six years ago Straughan was a Canadian waitress and divorced mother of three who started blogging about how easy it would have been to use the family law system to destroy her ex-husband. She was astonished at how law and social institutions were stacked against men.

Straughan posted a blog (girlwriteswhat) that included this pithy summary of marriage today: “For women, marriage is all benefit and zero risk, and that’s why women are whining about men’s reluctance to tie the knot. But for men, it’s the other way around — no guaranteed benefit, and the kind of risk an adrenaline junkie would eschew.” Next came a YouTube video, Feminism and the Disposable Male, that has raked up more than 1.5 million views.

Through her social media activities, Straughan got to know other women interested in men’s issues, such as Alison Tieman who, with Straughan, started a Honey Badger radio show. Then there’s blogger Janet Bloomfield, whose take-no-prisoners writing style soon attracted a big audience for her JudgyBitch blog promoting “the radical notion that women are adults”.

When protesters threatened to shut down a men’s rights conference in Detroit in 2011, the Honey Badger Brigade flew in to act as “human shields”. It helps to have women involved because female activists can’t be dismissed as sad losers, suggests Straughan. “Men run the risk of being perceived as dangerous or threatening when speaking up,” she says, adding that male activists tend to be “mocked as whiny man-babies or dismissed as dangerous extremist reactionaries who want to make it legal to beat your wife”.

And the name Honey Badgers? That came from a funny YouTube video — The Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger — that shows the vicious animal sticking its nose into bee-filled holes, gnawing on mice, tearing the heads off snakes and shaking off venomous cobra bites. It’s pretty silly, admits Straughan, but watch her shrug off the constant abuse she receives from feminists or reducing Naomi Wolf into a quivering heap on a television panel and you’ll see there’s something in it.

During Straughan’s visit to Sydney next month she will be appearing on Sky News’s Outsiders program, giving a talk at the Sydney Institute and doing a Q&A with viewers of Mark Latham’s Facebook page.

Then she’ll head up to the Gold Coast where she’ll join impressive speakers presenting at the men’s conference, including a striking number of women — such as Jaye, who is presenting a special screening of her movie.

Then there’s Erin Pizzey, world-renowned as the founder of Britain’s first women’s refuge, who back in the 1970s attracted the wrath of feminists by speaking out about women’s violence. Her determination to promote the truth about domestic violence — that it isn’t a gender issue — led to death threats, forcing her for a time to leave the country. She has been campaigning for more than 40 years about this vital social issue. Unfortunately ill-health has prevented Pizzey travelling and she’ll give her lecture via Skype.

Another Canadian speaker, Janice Fiamengo, is a professor of English literature whose hugely popular weekly YouTube program, The Fiamengo File, highlights the damaging impact of feminism in academe. She is scathing about women’s studies, which she believes has devolved into an intellectually incoherent and dishonest discipline replacing a callow set of slogans for real thought.

Local female men’s rights activists are excited about the chance to discuss with these luminaries how to get men’s issues on to the public agenda. Women such as Melbourne mental health advocate Rae Bonney, whose work with male-dominated workplaces reveals many of the contributors to the high male suicide rate, such as facing a biased family law system.

She says: “It’s both alarming and heartbreaking that so many of our social systems prevent men from getting the help and support they so desperately need. Every day I hear another story of a man who’s lost absolutely everything, often facing unproven accusations of violence and abuse.”

Bonney is on a high after hosting a recent Melbourne screening of The Red Pill, one of many I’ve organised through Fan-Force, a system that allows people to host local screenings of movies of their choice.

“We had nearly 200 people, including young women, couples and of course many men. There were a few tears and much applause before and after it ended. There’s a real sense that at last men’s issues are getting the attention they deserve,” says the delighted Bonney.

One real sign of a shift in the cultural dialogue is an upcoming event on ABC2’s Hack Live on June 20, Is Male Privilege Bullsh!t?, a debate where Jaye and various Honey Badgers will have a rare opportunity to show there are two sides to this story.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/feminism-under-attack-as-women-defend-mens-rights/news-story/85689a2a6b7a29b290113dda8f06debb

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

starkebn posted:

that's one of the shitteist things I've ever read

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

There are dozens of us, dozens!
by Bettina Arndt

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Hack discovers there's money in telling conservative men what they want to hear.

I bet she becomes more extreme as she becomes less relevant, like our own Anne Coulter or Katie Hopkins.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

She is one of many women hosting screenings of Cassie Jaye’s controversial documentary The Red Pill, in which the young feminist filmmaker looks seriously at men’s issues and decides they warrant proper attention. Jaye renounced her feminism in protest against the way extremists were silencing discussion of such matters.

I see they're cutting back on sub-eds at the Arse as well.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I'm not reading that, jfc.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

:byodame:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How do you renounce your feminism, is there a form?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Actually it's a dick you have to suck.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"Yes, welcome, put your brain in this tray and your vagina in that one. Congratulations, you've renounced feminism and can now write for the Australian."

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Hand in your vag, you're off the force!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Hand in your vag, you're off the force!

:clap:

• Locked thread