Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

in that case you can keep it tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Andrew Bolt posted:

DANCING POLICEMAN. TERRORISTS WOULD SMILE.

They call it "heart-warming". But this viral video of a policeman dancing during Justin Bieber's performance at the Ariana Grande benefit concert for the victims of the Manchester suicide bombing strikes me as disturbing.

We want people like him to protect and hit back - not go dancing and emoting.

What bull. Families grieving, funerals being held, troops in the street, police having to shoot to kill, extra security ... and we're "not bowed"?

You know who truly is not bowed when they see scenes like this?

The terrorists.

UPDATE

More dancing.

Seeing that makes me wonder if the West can really win in the end.

comments posted:

We've created a generation (or more) of man-children through shunning and shaming traditional masculinity. And we wonder why we're in this predicament. It's all very pathetic.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 5, 2017

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Starshark posted:

I see they're cutting back on sub-eds at the Arse as well.

They probably aren't wrong. It is normal for this type of critic to claim they are feminist and not a feminist at the same time. Obvious they have a pretty narrow idea abut what feminism entails, and downplays or questions anything that isn't clear-cut legal discrimination. Then they use their position as the rational, sceptical feminist to attack the bad, radical feminists. You can't really argue that women should have less rights, or have to suffer unduly because of their gender. So its easier to adopt a progressive label and claim that the actual feminists have gone to far, corrupted it, fighting against their interests etc.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

One of the smartest people in Australian universities weighs in.

quote:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...27efc81f9eb9eaa
After the jihadist attack on Britain’s children in Manchester, ­Islamic State warned: “What comes next will be more severe on the worshippers of the Cross.”

Islamists incited jihadis to “hunt prey” in Britain. Whitehall confessed there are 23,000 suspected jihadis in Britain — 20,000 more than it had admitted previously. On Saturday night, the terrorists went hunting. They drove a van into innocents on London Bridge before stabbing dozens more in Borough Market.

The British government responded to the enemy combatants by declaring war on the enemies of the Cross and killers of British children. It invoked war powers.

It closed the borders to states that fund terrorist propaganda and combatants. It shut down the mosques where treason is preached as divine Islamist destiny. It classified the 23,000 people sworn to jihad as aliens and enemies of the commonwealth.

In a time of crisis, Britain recovered its resolve and snatched freedom from the fangs of tyranny.

I write from a thinning vein of hope. Britain did none of the above. It did not recover its resolve by battling the foot soldiers of Islamist tyranny where they stand. Instead of fighting jihad, the police tweeted official advice from the UK government: “What you should do in a terror attack: Run, Hide and Tell.” If that’s reverse psychology, it’s working.

The political class is committed to running and hiding from the ­Islamist threat within — perhaps because its members can hide.

After the Manchester bombing, the police force amassed to protect the anti-Brexit, politically correct heart of London where cosmo­polites still toast the illusion that porous borders and multicultural ideology are the measure of free society.

Yet all the while, the West is forced to sacrifice the liberal order as our freedoms are surrendered one by one to accommodate the Islamist menace within: The surveillance state, the deployment of paramilitary forces, the erosion of free speech, the attack on public reason, the defence of sharia over secular law, of barbarity over ­civilisation.

How many more innocents must die, how many more freedoms must we lose before politicians admit the failure of Western accommodationist policy in the face of Islamist aggression?

In response to the latest jihadist attack on London, One Nation senator Pauline Hanson lashed out at the Liberals, Labor and the Greens for “their campaign that Islam is good for Australia”.

Labor leader Bill Shorten took the bait and channelled Barack Obama by claiming that terrorists win when “communities start to fray and become suspicious of one another”. It sounds rather like blaming the victim.

Should Britain not act against jihad when 23,000 suspected terrorists are harboured within?

The PC class is protecting ideology over Western innocents. The jihadist army in Britain is an imported problem utterly alien to the West. It entered by non-­discriminatory border policy. It took root in the collective Western guilt cultivated by multicultural zealots. Its propagandists were protected by the ideology of minority supremacy codified in racial discrimination law. Its foot soldiers were milked on the teat of Western welfare.

We are at war. Does any Western leader have the courage to ­declare it?

Makes a number of good points. Why aren't Western secular nations calling for a holy war?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

snoremac posted:

We've created a generation (or more) of man-children through shunning and shaming traditional masculinity. And we wonder why we're in this predicament. It's all very pathetic.

At least they are blaming themselves and not the millennials (although I don't know if they realise it).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Foxtel's legal crusade against online piracy has intensified, with the company applying to add 127 additional URLs to its proposed block list in Federal Court. The new sites under the ban hammer include YesMovies, Vumoo, LosMovies, CartoonHD, Project Free TV 1, Torlock and 1337x. Here is the full list.

As reported on Computer World, Foxtel is stepping up its attacks on so-called pirate sites in a bid to prevent internet users from accessing content it holds the rights to. This includes the HBO series Game Of Thrones, which Australians are notorious for downloading illegally.

In December last year, Foxtel and Village Roadshow successfully blocked five popular torrent websites through the courts. The five sites on the ban list are The Pirate Bay, Torrentz, TorrentHound, IsoHunt and SolarMovie.

Foxtel's latest application names the following websites:

YesMovies
Vumoo
LosMovies
CartoonHD
Putlocker
Watch Series 1
Watch Series 2
Project Free TV 1
Project Free TV 2
Watch Episodes
Watch Episode Series
Watch TV Series
The Dare Telly
Putlocker9.is
Putlocker9.to
Torlock1337x.

As before, Foxtel has also named multiple URLs for the sites it is seeking to block for a grand total of 127. (In other words, a simple suffix change will not be enough to circumvent the ban.)

The court will now assesses the evidence in Foxtel's application to determine what action should be taken. Given the success of Foxtel's previous applications, we would be extremely surprised if an injunction was not handed down on all of the aforementioned sites. As before, internet service providers (ISPs) will have 15 days to implement the blocks.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
FYI blocking putlocker would gently caress up alot of Anime streams.

Rupert you monster!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Imagine being this oblivious to other people's life experience and having that reinforced by Daddy's friends and contacts. It's smug but sad at the same time.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Could you make it any easier for your opponents to make unflattering comparisons between you and ISIS?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Could you make it any easier for your opponents to make unflattering comparisons between you and ISIS?

I'm just surprised that there's been multiple terrorist attacks -- which is Bolt's green light for full Islam bashing -- and this is all he can muster after one day. This and crying about Waleed Aly being more relevant than he is.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 5, 2017

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

open24hours posted:

One of the smartest people in Australian universities weighs in.

Makes a number of good points. Why aren't Western secular nations calling for a holy war?

hmm yes aggressively oppressing, othering and disenfranchising an entire religion probably won't encourage any sort of radicalisation or retaliation but then again i have the synaptic density of a particularly loose stool so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

Foxtel's legal crusade against online piracy has intensified, with the company applying to add 127 additional URLs to its proposed block list in Federal Court. The new sites under the ban hammer include YesMovies, Vumoo, LosMovies, CartoonHD, Project Free TV 1, Torlock and 1337x. Here is the full list.

Foxtel is finally going to make me get a subscription... to a VPN.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Nobody wants a lovely service of Law&Order reruns and Housewives of X shlock, so maybe if they spend the money they put into lawyers in r&d on a service people might actually want. Or they could save/make money partnering/selling the content they have licenses for with Netflix!

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

Thanks Foxtel for the sweet list of sites I can access via my cheap VPN instead of your lovely library of trash for the low price of $130/month.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
VPN? just edit your hosts file lol.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Who was that ISP that used to run a DC++ hub back in the day?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Even just setting your DNS to Google's public one works.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Oh gently caress, I remember this, but I don't remember who it was. That's gonna bug me all day now.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

VPN? just edit your hosts file lol.

Why, https://unblockall.xyz/ does basically all of that and no need to change anything.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

loving hell lecturing Londoners on how to react. He's like a terrorism grinch. "They're mourning without panic. they're mourning without xenophobia. they're mourning without pogroms, two more rhyming things!!"

snoremac posted:

quote:

Not reacting with blind fear and begging authority to take my freedom and keep me safe in its tight embrace, how unmasculine. :gay:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Was there a ww2 Andrew bolt crying for people to be more afraid during the blitz?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It's funnier if you realise it's not even an original evil thought and he had to steal some other fuckwit's hot take.

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status...pagenumber%3D98

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/shalailah/status/871548988469592064

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Was there a ww2 Andrew bolt crying for people to be more afraid during the blitz?

closest I can think of is Lord Haw-Haw

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

WW2 Andrew Bolt was telling Norwegians to embrace their new German masters.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ewe2 posted:

Imagine being this oblivious to other people's life experience and having that reinforced by Daddy's friends and contacts. It's smug but sad at the same time.

Yeah, it's impossible not to read it as "I always believed in helping those in need. Then I realised I wasn't in need and thanks to my family connections never would be, so gently caress those people!"

But in horror story news, Stopping The Boats has taken a hell of a loving turn over in Europe.

The Guardian posted:

Far right raises £50,000 to target boats on refugee rescue missions in Med

Aid charities have saved more than 6,000 from drowning this year. Now anti-Islam ‘Identitarians’ are crowdfunding to pay for vessels to chase them down

Far-right activists are planning a sea campaign this summer to disrupt vessels saving refugees in the Mediterranean, after successfully intercepting a rescue mission last month.

Members of the anti-Islam and anti-immigrant “Identitarian” movement – largely twentysomethings often described as Europe’s answer to the American alt-right – have raised £56,489 in less than three weeks to enable them to target boats run by aid charities helping to rescue refugees.

The money was raised through an anonymous crowdfunding campaign with an initial goal of €50,000 (about £44,000) to pay for ships, travel costs and film equipment. On Saturday the group confirmed they had reached their target but were still accepting donations. A French far-right group hired a boat for a trial run last month, disrupting a search-and-rescue vessel as it left the Sicilian port of Catania. They claimed they had slowed the NGO ship until the Italian coastguard intervened.

Alongside raising funds for ships, it also requests funds for “research” above the logo of the favourite alt-right message board, 4chan. One recent 4chan thread encourages users to track NGO ships in the Mediterranean, then report them to the navy and police to investigate, particularly “ships idling near the coast of north Africa”. Although not specified, the operation will almost certainly be based in Sicily, most likely operating from the island’s ports of Pozzallo or Catania.

Powerful rigid inflatable boats able to travel faster than 20 knots can sell for less than £10,000 and would be sufficient to slow down and obstruct ships leaving port. An Italian far-right group claims it has been offered ships and support from people with boat driving licences

It's Whale Wars but even more racist and incompetent!

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, it's impossible not to read it as "I always believed in helping those in need. Then I realised I wasn't in need and thanks to my family connections never would be, so gently caress those people!"

But in horror story news, Stopping The Boats has taken a hell of a loving turn over in Europe.

It's Whale Wars but even more racist and incompetent!

We need to turn back refugee boats for their own good to prevent the same thing happening here :smug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I already donate the the charity that finds homeless people and stomps on their heads. Stop funding these international charities and think about our people first

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

We need to turn back refugee boats for their own good to prevent the same thing happening here :smug:

But it's not turning back the refugee boats - it's interfering with the rescue boats trying to save lives if the refugee boats sink.

They're wanting to attack the rescue boats and block them from ever leaving port.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

ABC refutes claims in The Australian: Monday, 5 June, 2017

The Australian’s allegation that the ABC was “slow” in its reporting of the London attack as terrorism and that we ‘”refrained” from that description is demonstrably false.

The ABC began live digital blogging and television coverage of the London Bridge incident as soon as it occurred, and it was leading our top stories bulletin. As soon as it was described as a terror attack by Prime Minister Theresa May it was reported online, at 9:47am. When the Metropolitan Police confirmed that description in a tweet we reported it five minutes later at 9:56am.

The ABC news channel deliberately and carefully did not describe the London attacks as “terrorism” until the British authorities themselves felt confident to do so. At 9:48am the news channel put up a strap reporting the statement by the PM describing the incidents as a “potential act of terrorism”. At 9:53am the news channel also broadcast the Metropolitan Police tweet saying they were being treated as “terrorist incidents” — three minutes after the tweet was posted. At 9:55am the news channel changed its strap headline from “London incidents” to “London attacks”.

The ABC was not “slow”, nor were we misleading or under-reporting. We were following good journalism and making considered judgements at every step.

http://about.abc.net.au/statements/abc-refutes-claims-in-the-australian-monday-5-june-2017/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Stop addressing criticisms and garbage raised in these loving low readership DOGSHIT rags, ABC.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

But it's not turning back the refugee boats - it's interfering with the rescue boats trying to save lives if the refugee boats sink.

They're wanting to attack the rescue boats and block them from ever leaving port.

Yeah I know, it'was just a dumb joke.

After all it's pretty common for people to blame far right extremism on a vacuum created by not being cruel enough to refugees.

e: on the subject of treating refugees like poo poo

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...602-gwiznl.html

quote:

In a letter, an immigration department official acknowledged a "compelling and compassionate" case for granting the visa, but said they also needed to consider Masooma's personal circumstances and the relative attractiveness of Australia compared to Pakistan.

"Although I am very sympathetic to your desire to be present at your husband's funeral during this difficult time, I am not satisfied that the compassionate grounds outweigh the concerns I have over your compliance with the conditions that will be placed on any visa granted to you," the immigration official wrote.

"I am not satisfied that your personal and economic circumstances in Pakistan would provide you with incentive to return and your expressed intention only to stay temporarily in Australia is genuine."

ModernMajorGeneral fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 5, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Are there readership figures available for news outlets, including online?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

snoremac posted:

Are there readership figures available for news outlets, including online?

Mumbrela has your back. That's digital news anyway. Shouldn't be hard to track down regular TV numbers either.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Any good media (Far right biased) would see this as a terror attack before it even started!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Bogan King posted:

Mumbrela has your back. That's digital news anyway. Shouldn't be hard to track down regular TV numbers either.

Cheers.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sounds like the sort of thing Netspace would have done.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Sometimes I think some of the people caught up in this alt-right bullshit are just misguided and really do want people to "come over the right way". Then I see poo poo like crowdfunding attack ships to stop rescue boats saving people and just... gently caress

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Sometimes I think some of the people caught up in this alt-right bullshit are just misguided and really do want people to "come over the right way". Then I see poo poo like crowdfunding attack ships to stop rescue boats saving people and just... gently caress

Let's not beat about the bush, alt-righters are literal neo-nazis

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yeah, like what the gently caress was this sold to people as because I really do not want to imagine that any amount of people want to pay to literally and directly let people drown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Crowdfunded blockades to stop fire fighters putting out fires in nazis' houses

• Locked thread