Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Starshark posted:

My taxi driver tonight thinks that all the Muslims coming out against the terrorist attacks are secretly condoning them. I said I haven't seen any evidence of support for terrorism from, say, Wallsend Mosque and he said "Oh, no, they wouldn't support it but they might be saying well, you know, 'that's one down', don't you think?"

We're hosed.

Newie goon?

Saw a fb post from my brother that was basically "rarrabargle kill em all and take their oil" which was kinda disappointing but not too surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

hawaiian_robot posted:

Newie goon?

Saw a fb post from my brother that was basically "rarrabargle kill em all and take their oil" which was kinda disappointing but not too surprising

Yup - Newie goon.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cleretic posted:

Hey, I did, it's not my fault!

But yeah, I think what might've gotten me over the line was the paragraph where I explained, in unprovably-specific detail, exactly which mailbox I went to and what pharmacy I was going to at the time to get a refill of what prescription drug. I could be making every single part of that up (although I wasn't), they wouldn't know, but it sounds legit if it's that specific!

I asked the guy what I needed to do in the future to prove I had voted and he said that with postal voting there is no way to actually prove someone didn't vote and all they look for is consistency and detail in peoples' explanations.

So saying Australia Post lost it won't be enough, but saying you went to vote on X day, it felt weird because you never actually send anything via the post anymore, you took it to mailbox Y and on the way you stopped and filled a script for Z at the pharmacy, and assuming day X is within the voting period, there is actually a mailbox at Y and there is drug called Z you'll be fine.

Moving on from getting away with not voting, it sounds like they really REALLY want to discredit this guy:

quote:

The funds management firm that sold everything and returned the cash to investors citing a looming market correction was unprofitable as at November 2016, according to an analyst report.

In Lonsec reports dated November 2016 and obtained by Fairfax Media, the industry rating agency ascribed an "investment grade" rating to both the Altair Income and Advantage Funds, which were liquidated in May.

But in those reports, which are not publicly available, a Lonsec analyst said the ratings were "constrained by the manager's high business sustainability risk as the firm is yet to become profitable due to low levels" of funds under management. Lonsec's ratings are widely used in the financial planning industry as an input into its decision of whether to recommend funds for its clients. A rating below "investment grade" would generally be considered a red flag.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
I know this isn't auspol but Grog is auspol af and this is just :magical:

https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/871839593582141440

Tinpot dictator poo poo right there.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Melbourne dude was apparently yelling that it was for both IS and AQ. Given that those two are at full blown war with each other it is highly unlikely that he was doing anything other than being crazy and yelling edgy stuff. Every edgelorde flipping out is going to be pulling this sort of poo poo for years so don't read much into it.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
So Obeid isn't nice to his mum?

quote:

A politician’s duty to act in the public interest is not a matter of law but of conscience, “like a duty to be nice to your mum”, a barrister for jailed former New South Wales MP Eddie Obeid says.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jun/05/duty-to-act-in-public-interest-is-not-binding-eddie-obeids-lawyer-tells-court

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Bogan King posted:

Melbourne dude was apparently yelling that it was for both IS and AQ. Given that those two are at full blown war with each other it is highly unlikely that he was doing anything other than being crazy and yelling edgy stuff. Every edgelorde flipping out is going to be pulling this sort of poo poo for years so don't read much into it.

I like to think Four Lions is a documentary that applies to most of this stuff

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Labor senator Sam Dastyari contradicted Labor party policy on the South China Sea a day after influential Chinese billionaire Huang Xiangmo threatened to withdraw a promised $400,000 donation to the party, Four Corners has alleged.

The program, by Faifax’s Nick McKenzie, reports that Huang took exception to comments made by the then Labor defence shadow, Stephen Conroy, that Australia’s defence force should be able to conduct freedom of navigation operations in the disputed area.

After Huang threatened to cancel the donation, Dastyari told the Chinese mediathat Australia shouldn’t interfere with China’s activities in the South China Sea. When the comments were reported, Dastyari denied he had split with the party on the policy, saying he wasn’t responsible for the way it was reported.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bogan King posted:

Looks like is crazy but IS right to take credit

quote:

Attack may have been inspired by Islamic State

It is understood a recent edition of the IS magazine Dabiq urged followers to take a prostitute hostage to start a protracted siege designed to engage special force police in a gunfight that with end in "martyrdom".

It is understood Khayre yesterday cut off his parole GPS security ankle bracelet to avoid having his movements monitored.

One of the police received 18 pellet wounds to his head and neck while another suffered a finger injury.

Give stupid people instructions and they will follow them and the internet gives access to a lot of stupid people.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Snitches get stitches, or don't talk to senate enquiries about how poo poo the ADF is or you and everyone like you will have your lives destroyed [Guardian]

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
God drat Trumbull is a bumbling fool in this press conference.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

norp posted:

I like to think Four Lions is a documentary that applies to most of this stuff

Yeah, it's getting scary how close these attacks are to what Chris Morris came up with in that movie

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
looks like we are getting a coal mine fuckers

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Coal AND a corruption scandal? It's like my birthday.

Ipswich Mayor (and lifelong ALP member) resigns in a bathrobe posted:

Ipswich's long-serving mayor Paul Pisasale has resigned, citing his battle with multiple sclerosis as the reason, one day after the state's crime and corruption watchdog raided the council office.

Dressed in pyjamas and a dressing gown, Mr Pisasale made the announcement at St Andrew's Hospital in Ipswich.

Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale says there will be "idiots running the country" unless there are clearer rules on electoral donations to encourage people to run for office.

"Now it's my time to look after my health," he told reporters.

Within hours of his announcement, the Crime and Corruption Commission released a statement confirming it had executed a search at Ipswich City Council on Monday.

"The search was related to an ongoing CCC investigation," the commission said.

"As the investigation is ongoing, it is not appropriate for the CCC to comment further."

Deputy mayor Paul Tully becomes the acting mayor for three months until the Electoral Commission Queensland conducts a byelection.

Mr Pisasale was first elected to council in March 1991 and took on the deputy mayor's position in April 2000.

He has been mayor since 2004, retaining office with almost 84 per cent of the vote in the 2016 election.

More recently, Mr Pisasale fronted a Crime and Corruption Commission hearing as part of the watchdog's investigation into the Ipswich, Gold Coast and Moreton Bay council elections.

This probe has since been expanded to the Logan council election.

As Mr Pisasale's resignation came within the first three years of his current term, a byelection to replace him must be held.

A spokeswoman for Local Government Minister Jackie Trad said that byelection would have to be held before August 29, within 12 weeks of Mr Pisasale's resignation.

The timing of that byelection would be a matter for the Electoral Commission of Queensland, she said.

Comment has been sought from the ECQ.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
As a super cool and accurate Queensland expert either of the following will happen:

1. ALP Left revolt and a leadership challenge happens with an election being called regardless of result (rumourmill is that Trad hates the gently caress out of Adani)
2. ALP sleepwalks to an election and gets crushed by the LNP and One Nation as Rural QLDers are too "And this is 60 Minutes" to vote for The Greens or something.
3. ALP sleepwalks to an election and narrowly wins somehow causing no change but the environment can get hosed
4. Adani changes their mind or something that Labor looks like a bunch of idiots.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anidav posted:

As a super cool and accurate Queensland expert either of the following will happen:

1. ALP Left revolt and a leadership challenge happens with an election being called regardless of result (rumourmill is that Trad hates the gently caress out of Adani)
2. ALP sleepwalks to an election and gets crushed by the LNP and One Nation as Rural QLDers are too "And this is 60 Minutes" to vote for The Greens or something.
3. ALP sleepwalks to an election and narrowly wins somehow causing no change but the environment can get hosed
4. Adani changes their mind or something that Labor looks like a bunch of idiots.

1. No
2. Probably
3. No then Yes
4. :laffo:

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Anidav posted:

You forgot in 4: "... and the ALP loses the election".

Really the only good possibility to come out of ANY of this, is if they go to an election NOW, before Adani is past the point of no return, narrowly scrape a win, losing only one or two inner city seats to the Greens and maybe three or four to ONP or indies.

Greens winning inner city seats means, frankly, gently caress all with a LNP/ONP government.

Trad won't roll Paluszczuk before an election. I'm a bit concerned that Labor Left is a bit low in experience or talent at the moment. Di Brenni, Miles, Enoch and Fentiman are all first termers, and I think the rest of Cabinet (except Trad) are Right?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah but voters love Trad far far far far far far more. I'd love to show you stats but I can't.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Anidav posted:

Yeah but voters love Trad far far far far far far more. I'd love to show you stats but I can't.

oooooooh do you have Together's polling data?!

Hell, I like Trad (don't tell my campaign team). She's got grit and gets poo poo done (except Adani, abortion law reform, a Human Rights Act...).

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I don't really know if Adani giving a green light to their own project really changes that much. They are still up poo poo creek with regards to financing the thing. Despite QLD Labor being all too keen to wolf down on Adani dick, I can't see any bank being loving dumb enough to spank a few billion up against the wall on this project. They certainly won't be refusing funding because of ethical, moral, or environmental reasons, but I just don't see how there is any justifiable business case that would present a return on investment good enough to justify the risk. Well, at least until Canavan announces a $5bn gift to fund the entire construction phase with public money and no requirement for Adani to repay any meaningful amount of it.

God just gently caress off already Queensland

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

WHat should be worrying for the ALP is that 17% of 18-34 going for PHON

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Anidav posted:

WHat should be not be surprising in the least for the ALP is that 17% of 18-34 Queenslanders going for PHON

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

SMART STATE SUNSHINE STATE QUEENSLAND STRONG

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

bullshit, Caleb doesn't have two friends

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

bullshit, Caleb doesn't have two friends

Caleb lives in Adelaide as well

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
couldn't resist the display window's saucy pix

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

quote:

"How was this man on parole? He had a long record of violence. A very long record of violence. He had been charged with a terrorist offence some years ago and had been acquitted. He was known to have connections, at least in the past, with violent extremism," Mr Turnbull said.

So we should deny people parole based on charges that they weren't convicted for?

Jesus Christ.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Mad Katter posted:

So we should deny people parole based on charges that they weren't convicted for?

That's not how parole works.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mad Katter posted:

Jesus Christ.

Where there's smoke there's fire buddy.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Zenithe posted:

That's not how parole works.

My thoughts exactly

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Mad Katter posted:

My thoughts exactly

No, as in he's saying with his criminal history and connection he shouldn't have been eligible for parole and instead should have served his sentence in full.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Kafka Syrup posted:

Coal AND a corruption scandal? It's like my birthday.

https://twitter.com/PaulaD7news/status/871972911158054912

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gently caress moi

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Yeah, not a lot of legitimate reasons to carry that kind of cash without declaring it. Vanishingly close to zero really.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Looks like Mayor Pizzasale is all out of coupons

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bogan King posted:

Yeah, not a lot of legitimate reasons to carry that kind of cash without declaring it. Vanishingly close to zero really.

Just an honest drug dealer really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Zenithe posted:

No, as in he's saying with his criminal history and connection he shouldn't have been eligible for parole and instead should have served his sentence in full.

If someone is acquitted, it's not their criminal history then is it?

• Locked thread