Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I love it when Ipswich keeps on filling it's stereotype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

I love it when Queensland keeps on filling it's stereotype
Fixed that for ya, cos ya know.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

aejix posted:

I don't really know if Adani giving a green light to their own project really changes that much. They are still up poo poo creek with regards to financing the thing. Despite QLD Labor being all too keen to wolf down on Adani dick, I can't see any bank being loving dumb enough to spank a few billion up against the wall on this project. They certainly won't be refusing funding because of ethical, moral, or environmental reasons, but I just don't see how there is any justifiable business case that would present a return on investment good enough to justify the risk. Well, at least until Canavan announces a $5bn gift to fund the entire construction phase with public money and no requirement for Adani to repay any meaningful amount of it.

God just gently caress off already Queensland

There was an article in The Age some weeks back that argued that Adani knows full well that the mine is not worth building, but as long as they have the rights to mine those rights are an asset on their books that helps offset the fuckload of debt they have

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

You Am I posted:

Fixed that for ya, cos ya know.

I thought government corruption was mostly a NSW thing recently

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Condolences to anyone who wrote for SBS Comedy/Backburner, if any of you are even still here.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Condolences to anyone who wrote for SBS Comedy/Backburner, if any of you are even still here.

Why, what happened?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Why, what happened?

SBS Comedy was axed, it ends in two weeks, Backburner in a week.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bugger

i guess that's what happens when you take the piss out of the conservatives too often these days

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SBS Comedy was axed, it ends in two weeks, Backburner in a week.

Ah ffs thats poo poo

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Pauline crosses a name off of her list

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
So it's not just satire that's dead now.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Mad Katter posted:

If someone is acquitted, it's not their criminal history then is it?

He was acquitted because the evidence that led to his arrest was inadmissible in convicting him. If it was inadmissible for that, you can bet it was inadmissible in his parole hearing.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/James_Jeffrey/status/871984266548301824

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

Yeah, not a lot of legitimate reasons to carry that kind of cash without declaring it. Vanishingly close to zero really.

You know how some people have service dogs or emotional support animals?

That was his emotional support pile of cash. Nothing to see here officer, move along.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/mattjcan/status/871981294221012992

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Haha.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Going to laugh pretty hard when the whole Adani mine enterprise turns out to be an elaborate Pump 'N Dump.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ask Whitehaven coal about stunts haha.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Ask Whitehaven coal about stunts haha.

Hola.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Australian woman confirmed dead in London attack [ABC]

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Didn't the goverment come out right after the attack and say no Aussies were hurt?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Unrelated, Albanese was terrible on Q&A.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Didn't the goverment come out right after the attack and say no Aussies were hurt?

She was a nurse so not really a person in the eyes of the LNP

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

10 bux the missing au pair is in di Natale's basement.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/RichardDiNatale/status/871933443621478400

I give this Zinger 2 out of 5 Shortens.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

quote:

The Age

Conservative commentator Andrew Bolt was allegedly set upon by a gang of protesters outside a Melbourne book launch on Tuesday, and appeared to give at least as good as he got.

Footage broadcast by Bolt on his Sky News program appears to show two men attacking him outside a Carlton restaurant, with a third man wielding a camera.

Bolt alleged the two men "jumped" him and sprayed him in the face and body with "sticky liquid with glitter and dye" while he took a selfie with a woman.

"Bad luck for them of course - I don't do running and hiding," Bolt said, claiming to have delivered one assailant "a big bruise on the left side of his face and another bruise between his legs".

"I don't really fight nice if I'm pushed too far," he said.

Victoria Police confirmed the incident, which took place about 12.15pm on Tuesday, was under investigation and said no one was injured.

"The two males, who were wearing hooded jumpers, have thrown what is believed to be glitter and shaving cream at the victim," a police spokesman said.

"A short scuffle has taken place before the offenders fled the scene. Another male who was in the area at the time appeared to be filming or taking photos."

Bolt was at the Il Gambero restaurant on Lygon Street, Carlton for the launch of The Art of the Impossible by RMIT associate professor Steve Kates, a former chief economist for the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

The book is a compilation of blog posts about the US presidential election campaign and subsequent victory of Donald Trump.

On his program, Bolt described his attackers as "left-wing fascists", though this has not been confirmed by police.

"It is another warning of the rising violence of the Left," he said.

The author, Mr Kates, was quoted by the right-wing Catallaxy Files website confirming the apparent attack.

"You hear that Andrew has been attacked and you fear only the worst but while this time they went off worse for wear, it is a true worry that this is our world now," he said.

"We are people for whom words, argument and reason are what counts, but for the psychopaths on the other side they have nothing to offer but vacuous cliches and violence."

Bolt was approached for further comment.

lmao

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

"I was jumped by at least fifty leftist fascists and fought them off with my fists, foul language and my sheer manliness"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
A journalist family friend who has sadly passed away once challenged Bolt to a fight outside a pub in Canberra. Bolt agreed to the fight but used the other door to escape.

I do not believe he gave anything to anyone.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I feared that the worst might happen - that Bolt would come through with no permanent injuries - and sadly the worst did come to pass.

Clearly there is no god.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Nice to know Bolt's limit that he's willing to be pushed to before going for the nutpunch is literally being made to look a little silly.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It's fascism the moment they resort to glitter spray.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

related

quote:

Meanwhile, a far more reliable indication of whether Tuesday's announcement should be taken seriously can be found in the response to Downer EDI's share price. This is the company Adani said on Tuesday had been given the very large and valuable contract to build the mine. The share price didn't move.

Indeed, Downer, which is subject to ASX disclosure laws, released a far more circumspect statement in which it said the "letter of award [of the Adani contract] continues to be subject to the parties executing a binding mining services contract".

In other words, the contracts with Downer and others Adani had earmarked as being parties to this giant project were all hostage to the project actually going ahead. And that requires financing, which Adani still does not have.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Bolt is gonna get all the glitter now.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Was Bolt one of the ones who criticised Joyce for making a big deal about the pie to the face?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

Was Bolt one of the ones who criticised Joyce for making a big deal about the pie to the face?

Yup! :v:

"Andrew Bolt on Alan Joyce: Qantas CEO should uphold his opponents’ right to free speech" (paywalled, no I don't pay, I got the link from google)
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...6c085a1501fba2d

Something something Andrew Bolt's safe space.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

starkebn posted:

I thought government corruption was mostly a NSW thing recently

Dude, Sir Joh and the white shoe brigade made it government policy in QLD during the 70s and 80s.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The writers at SBS Comedy are way too funny to be a Goon anymore.

(I'm desperately trying to find some way to throw money at them since they haven't lowered themselves to setting up patreons for their twitter feeds yet).

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Pretty sure JR Hennessy posted here. Don't remember the username though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

xPanda posted:

Pretty sure JR Hennessy posted here. Don't remember the username though.

Julia Trillard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

You Am I posted:

Dude, Sir Joh and the white shoe brigade made it government policy in QLD during the 70s and 80s.

I guess it's just that NSW actually has an ICAC and it's actually charging people. Everywhere else they seem to just get away with it.

• Locked thread