Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Starshark posted:

My taxi driver tonight thinks that all the Muslims coming out against the terrorist attacks are secretly condoning them. I said I haven't seen any evidence of support for terrorism from, say, Wallsend Mosque and he said "Oh, no, they wouldn't support it but they might be saying well, you know, 'that's one down', don't you think?"

We're hosed.

Newie goon?

Saw a fb post from my brother that was basically "rarrabargle kill em all and take their oil" which was kinda disappointing but not too surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

quote:

The Age

Conservative commentator Andrew Bolt was allegedly set upon by a gang of protesters outside a Melbourne book launch on Tuesday, and appeared to give at least as good as he got.

Footage broadcast by Bolt on his Sky News program appears to show two men attacking him outside a Carlton restaurant, with a third man wielding a camera.

Bolt alleged the two men "jumped" him and sprayed him in the face and body with "sticky liquid with glitter and dye" while he took a selfie with a woman.

"Bad luck for them of course - I don't do running and hiding," Bolt said, claiming to have delivered one assailant "a big bruise on the left side of his face and another bruise between his legs".

"I don't really fight nice if I'm pushed too far," he said.

Victoria Police confirmed the incident, which took place about 12.15pm on Tuesday, was under investigation and said no one was injured.

"The two males, who were wearing hooded jumpers, have thrown what is believed to be glitter and shaving cream at the victim," a police spokesman said.

"A short scuffle has taken place before the offenders fled the scene. Another male who was in the area at the time appeared to be filming or taking photos."

Bolt was at the Il Gambero restaurant on Lygon Street, Carlton for the launch of The Art of the Impossible by RMIT associate professor Steve Kates, a former chief economist for the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

The book is a compilation of blog posts about the US presidential election campaign and subsequent victory of Donald Trump.

On his program, Bolt described his attackers as "left-wing fascists", though this has not been confirmed by police.

"It is another warning of the rising violence of the Left," he said.

The author, Mr Kates, was quoted by the right-wing Catallaxy Files website confirming the apparent attack.

"You hear that Andrew has been attacked and you fear only the worst but while this time they went off worse for wear, it is a true worry that this is our world now," he said.

"We are people for whom words, argument and reason are what counts, but for the psychopaths on the other side they have nothing to offer but vacuous cliches and violence."

Bolt was approached for further comment.

lmao

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

snoremac posted:

Waiting to hear back from the job agency about whether they're going to tell Centrelink I turned down suitable employment. The only factor that has any play on the "not suitable" front is the $13 training wage, which they're checking the legality of. They scoffed at me when I pointed out the employer was operating a forklift without a license -- which would have put my safety at risk since I would also be working in the warehouse, and which left me unclear on where this lands me legally -- saying that was for Workcover to deal with.

They said "If the training wage was legal you'll be cut off Newstart for 8 weeks," in the most blasé manner possible. They don't care that I didn't understand I wasn't allowed to reject a job if the pay was unsatisfactory. I understand this is my fault, what I mean is they're acting like I cheated the system when I honestly made a mistake. They told me to stop getting annoyed at them when I'd try to raise counterpoints. All my concerns were stonewalled by them reciting the "refusing suitable employment" process.

pray for me

This is pretty hosed. Have you shared your story with someone in the media, or threatened to do so?

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

snoremac posted:

I got off due to the illegal training wage. They were suddenly very chipper and kind. Haven't slept since yesterday and I'm too tired to process what that means.

Awesome! Go and have something to eat, drink some water and have a good, well-earned snooze. Good job sticking up for your rights

• Locked thread