Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This Chinese donations thing is another 4 corners investigation where I'm gobsmacked and expect federal police to be kicking down doors and politicians running for cover the next day and then I'm disappointed when nothing happens.

*Edit* they went after the greyhound trainers in a big loving hurry though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

For an example of this phenomenon, watch "The Moonlight State"

Didn't that kind of kick off the Fitzgerald inquiry though? We probably won't be getting a royal commission into political donations as a result of this ep

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

At Disneyland actually.

Hah, I didn't know that. I read the Three Crooked Kings trilogy but I didn't know the specifics of how the inquiry got started. Joh was probably doing some fact finding into his plan to build the world's tallest building in Brisbane.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brown Paper Bag posted:

What were the big revelations?

Is this the real reason Dastiyari was in London?

It was just kind of putting specific names to donors and illustrating the links between them and certain lobby groups and specific politicians, they apparently got this information from some secret ASIO briefing to party leaders a while back. Dastiyari and Andrew Robb didn't look good but we already knew that.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

Not surprising, watched Ten for the first time in ages on Monday night and that Have You Been Paying Attention show had Medibank advertising inside the show itself.

It could be a good show and it has some funny people but the excessive cross promotion for other channel 10 garbage is too much for me

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Last I heard of her she was defending clickbait on Mamamia on Download This Show on RN.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Monday's 4 Corners made me feel like watching a doc on JBP's Queensland. Anything on YouTube or elsewhere?

Not a doco but I can recommend Matthew Condon's Three Crooked Kings series of books on police corruption in Queensland from the 50s leading up to and including the Fitzgerald Inquiry. Not really focused on Joh until book 3 though

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As a Melburnian I would understand if Sydney was the capital city. It's undoubtedly more impressive to look at.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Endman posted:

Not sure about the law but, as someone whose partner is an emergency nurse, I've heard about enough acquired brain injuries to never get on a bike without one.

Last time I was hit by a car the helmet absorbed a lot of damage that would otherwise have been absorbed by my head. I'd never ride a bike, especially commute in traffic without one.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know much about economics but are real estate bubbles different from other kinds of bubbles due to the fact that every person needs a dwelling and the amount of people will always (for the forseeable future) increase? It's not like other speculative bubbles where the commodity has no real value and it bursts dropping prices down to zero/gently caress all, like the tech bubble or the Dutch Tulip mania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

Lots of explanation...

Thanks!

• Locked thread