Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/markwillacy/status/874067317784682497

This'll be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Channel 9 Perth doubling down on Poor Punching today:

It's a good job Perth people are socially conscious and know better than to buy this tired bullshit - but wait better check the comments,

Well holy poo poo, they actually were.

Hot drat.

Yeah a lot of people struggling in WA, the worm is turning.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/PhillipCoorey/status/874555008020119552

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"Clean coal"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Would anyone be surprised if this is the issue that finally finishes off Turnbull?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
All of this has happened before, all of this will happen again :bsg:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Thanks Mr Dandrews.

Be interesting to see if Mr Tough On Crime McGowan follows suit, given that half the state, when greeted with the recent report that meth use appears to be dropping based on waste water testing, responded with 'no it isn't! I think that actually included a few cops on talkback (but no evidence was presented to support this counterclaim of course).

That was just cause people were pissing on the Lawn though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
No beautiful Daisy? what a waste of an article.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

One of the Liberal party’s largest donors, Chinese mining magnate Sally Zou, previously set up a company called “Julie Bishop Glorious Foundation” which the foreign minister says she has never heard of.

The enigmatic Ms Zou, who is also a large financial supporter of Port Adelaide Football Club, also set a company last month called Australian Earthly Paradise.

That company’s principal place of business is 19 Tallisker Rd, Deep Creek — the address of a pristine 1.5km stretch of coastal property currently on the market for $2.5 million, which is not owned by Ms Zou.

It is understood she might be intending to buy the property. Julie Bishop Glorious Foundation Pty Ltd was set up in April last year, and changed its name to Glorious Foundation just nine days later.

A spokeswoman for the minister said the existence of the company was news to her.

“The foreign minister has met Ms Zou from time to time at various functions. The minister was not aware of any foundation established using her name, nor has she been approached by Ms Zou for any government assistance.’’

Mods namechange please.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

G-Spot Run posted:

What is MTGOW? I tried googling it but I'm not giving hits to redpill blogs/youtubes and couldn't see an urban dictionary or anything

It involves Wizards.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

It begins.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Julie Bishop Glorious Foundation

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

SUNCORP changed their logo into an rear end in a top hat

It is both the arsehole and the ring at the same time, brilliant.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Julie Bishop Glorious Foundation

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne..._medium=Twitter

Thanks Daily Telegraph

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Hobo Erotica posted:

Thanks for the link. Did you read through to the examples though?

This is her "victim blaming":

"Let me be clear: sexual assault is never the fault of the victim. Neither is being hit by a drunk driver. The sole person to blame for such crimes is the perpetrator. But teaching girls how to reduce their risk of sexual assault is not the same thing as victim blaming. It’s not. And we must stop confusing the two."

Seems reasonable?

This is her being "deeply whorephobic":

"If you are an adult woman who is not suffering from a mental illness, addiction or sexual, physical or emotional abuse, who has not been trafficked or exploited or co-erced into sexual slavery and who is CHOOSING of her own free will to sell sex?
I respect that. I’m cool with that. I recently listened to a fascinating podcast with a sex worker whose clients have disabilities. We’ll be publishing a story about her soon. I’m certainly not interested in demonising sex workers – I’d never do that.

But no, that doesn’t mean I see your career choice as something I’d want my daughter to aspire to. Or my sons.... Accepting the free choices made by other women does not mean you have to aspire to them or advocate them."

Again, we're hating her for this? I mean I can see where it's coming from here at least, because yes, there is an implication that there is something wrong with sex work, and our society could arguably do with out that stigma. But far out, if you've got to drill that far down to someone saying that she'd rather her kids didn't aspire to be a sex worker to call her a poo poo person then gently caress. Find me a majority of women who say they want their kids to be sex workers and I'd question their honesty.

As for the payment thing, the Mumbrella article lays it out pretty clearly. The used to accept unpaid voluntary submissions, which most publications do, now they pay $50, and have a large paid staff contributing most of the content. Not seeing a huge deal. I'm not going to bat too hard for this one but it's still not eliciting much outrage from me.

It's like if you don't repeat the collective mantras letter for letter, if you have any personal nuance, you're hounded out of town. It doesn't seem like a constructive discourse.

And so the current example, where she introduces an adoring interview with a logistical issue which directly relates to the subject at hand. She revealed that a woman who wrote a book about how fat people experience the world differently and in ways we would not expect, experiences the world differently and in ways we would not expect. The subject was unhappy, she made a mistake, and apologized unreservedly. And everyone pounces on her again, with a visciousness that seems wildly disproportionate.

The article you posted even admitted that the pile on was questionable:

"Allowing other women their honest mistakes and teachable moments is vital to the whole movement advancing and opening up to make space for those diverse women who are often shut out by straight white supremacy. Sometimes calling out is just correcting and moving on.

Yesterday I was unusually vocal on Twitter (a platform I rarely use and don’t totally understand) about the Gay/Freedman incident. Not only did I post about it myself, I joined other threads to express my outrage. As I piled on and on, I felt the gleeful bubbles of drama build inside me. I don’t particularly like Freedman, or Mamamia, so part of me was probably thrilled to have a justifiable reason to lay into her (and the organisation itself).

But how much of my vitriol was a legitimate response to Freedman’s bad behaviour, and how much was an excuse to be mean about a woman I did not like? That question can be an uncomfortable one. I was made more uncomfortable still when I joined a thread on a women writer’s Facebook group dedicated to the incident, which quickly devolved into some thorough Freedman-bashing. Over the past 24 hours, Junkee has deleted a number of abusive Facebook comments under their stories on the incident. Freedman was repeatedly called names like “c*nt”.

I guess that's about as good an explanation as we'll get.

same

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

State Government documents have warned up to 2,500 buildings in New South Wales could be fitted with flammable cladding similar to that which was engulfed in the London Grenfell Tower fire this week.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-15/london-tower-fire-promps-fears-nsw-buildings-could-be-tinderbox/8622470

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DancingShade posted:

aka "I'm a retired boomer and only just discovered Tomb Raider and Google image search"

These captions are classic:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/CaseyBriggs/status/875350069297283072

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Hobo Erotica posted:

Really? If you think they are lovely, and all you've got is whats described in that junkee article, that's an interesting discussion in itself. A mother can't tell her daughter to take reasonable care not to put herself at extra risk by becoming completely intoxicated, because that's victim blaming? We're that incapable of nuance? That's concerning. And arguably actually dangerous.

Exactly, thank you. That's why I came here, to try and understand where that unpleasantness is coming from, and all that's really been proven is that it is in fact largely baseless. No one has actually backed up any of the accusations.

A lot of it definitely is gendered, but then you get the attacks from places like Pedestrian and Junkee and the rest of the Left. They absolutely would go after a man, and normally if anyone makes any kind of gendered attack they love jumping all over them, which is why this is interesting. I'd hate to think it was as crass as one digital media agency throwing stones at another, but it does look a bit like that. They pick up on some tweets and run with it. Perhaps there are some really strong collective sub-conscious biases going on.

Because even the crime here is questionable and a potentially interesting discussion in itself, but we haven't even had a chance to get there yet. Is saying that the publicist asked how big the lift was really so horrible? "Despicable, Shameful, Humiliating etc"? Roxanne said it was, so that definitely counts for something, but are we happy to let that be the final say? It's not like her size and the effects it has on day to day life were a secret, it's literally what they were there to discuss. Here is what Gay said to This American Life: "... There's another level. I mean, then there's when you're super morbidly obese, where you can't really even find stores that can accommodate you. You don't fit in any public spaces, like movie theaters, public bathrooms, so on and so forth.". So she can say it, and Mia can't. Which is understandable and fair enough, but hardly ground for the backlash she's experienced. Is there something there I'm missing?

Mia is a huge fan who loves Gay, she wasn't putting her down or making fun of her, it wasn't 'lol fat people', it was 'here's something interesting about fat people I learned today which you may not have considered but which perhaps you should'. It was a mistake, but like I said before, I think a part of it was that Roxanne didn't actually know the questions her publicist asked, and was shocked and embarrassed to learn about them. So her initial mortified tweets carried accusations of dishonesty, which further inflamed the issue.

Everyone picks up their swords and leaps to Gay's defense and trips over themselves to show off how appalled and how brutally heart achingly sorry they are, and the pitchforks come out. There are also strong elements of "relative privilege". When you have a big bisexual woman of colour claiming she was upset by something an average sized straight white woman said, everyone just automatically takes the former's side by default. And that's concerning as well. It's not helpful or healthy, for both the left in particular or society in general. It's actually faintly patronising - like Gay is this really weak porcelain doll we failed to shield from this appalling attack, despite being a professional adult who is a published author and respected academic.

Its absolutely important not to Kick Down, but we need to actually look at the "kicks" in question. And Mia looks pretty down at the moment, and the kicks shes getting are a way worse than what she did.

I think really some of it comes from mamamia's history of clickbait-y listicle type journalism. It was annoying fluffy pop, it was new and different, it caught on, filled up a lot of people's feeds, with some stuff which was women's issues and some stuff which was a bit dumb, both of which weren't universally appreciated. And so that has defined her character in the public view, and makes these pile ons ok.

I only listen to the Mamamia Out Loud podcast, which is generally good, thoughtful, progressive, topical weekly discussion. The No Filter podcast can be good if the guest is interesting, and the This Glorious Mess is a good one too. I don't read the website or the facebook, and so if they're a bit stupid or annoying (which glancing at them I can believe), that probably explains some / a lot of the hate. But I don't see that, I just see the podcasts, so the attacks seem egraroius to me.

It might sound silly but I think Mia's is an important voice and we're worse off if we kill it like this.

Not reading that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anidav what did the rats do to your car?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Monday's 4 Corners made me feel like watching a doc on JBP's Queensland. Anything on YouTube or elsewhere?

Have you seen the moonlight state?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Brown Paper Bag posted:

No I haven't. Is it on YouTube or ABC online? I was hoping there was a JBP 'rise and fall' type documentary out there somewhere.

It's on the four corners 50 years site.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is Hobo Erotica Mia Freedman?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"What can have possessed Mia Freedman to do what she did?" my ex- and current editor Jonathan Green tweeted after RoxaneGaygate had descended. Sophie Cunningham and Gay Alcorn joined him in his bewilderment at this lapse of reason. Ah, the left-liberals we love, with their winsome search for the rational kernel at the heart of social action! Freedman, in the process of launching Mamamia in the US, invited an African-American author in for an interview about her book detailing her complex relationship to food, appetite, her body and much more, and then released memos detailing questions about whether she could get in the lift and describing her as "super morbidly obese".

Why would you look for anything consciously rational in these actions? They’re an obvious psychological defense. Gay is an author capable of writing stylishly, in a number of registers, from the high theoretical and political to the immediate and the personal, and who has gained her position and career by hard work against the adversity of racial oppression, poverty, and the stigma she discusses in Hunger. Freedman, the white daughter of a rich property developer, slid into a career in the glossies and used her elite connections to spin out into Mamamia. She writes and edits drivel. She has assembled a whole media empire as a vast hall of mirrors, reflecting her back from every angle -- and then mused aloud why she has spent years crippled by anxiety.

Rather than examining her life to discover the roots of this existential conditions, she advocates the quick fix of drugs, including the all-purpose Lexapro (one of whose side-effects is listed as "impulsivity". Read the small print). Her bizarre treatment of Gay makes sense when you realise that Gay’s achievements tower over Mia’s, and that part of her much-publicised anxiety may arise from the deep sense that she’s a bit of a fraud. Gay’s very existence annihilates Mia, and trashing her publicly in some pathetic year 11 mean girl schtick is an act of psychic defence. Quite possibly an expensive one. The arguably racist attack on Gay will trash Mamamia's brand in the US, absolutely. If you’re still expecting great thing from it, I have some Channel Ten shares you might be interested in acquiring. Still, a teachable moment, for liberals. Look for the rational motive last, in these circumstances. And maybe dip into Freud’s The Psychopathology of Everyday Life from time to time.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Tony Abbott has found himself an unlikely defender and advocate in the form of Mia Freedman,former editor of Cosmopolitan, Cleo and Dolly magazines, and columnist for the Sun Herald and the Sunday Age. Freedman also has a regular spot on the Today Show, and hosts Mamamia Live on Sky News. She is editor and publisher of the highly popular Mamamia website.

With a history like this, Freedman has a big voice among women, and Tony Abbott will no doubt be glad to have her on his side.

It wasn’t always thus. In this article on the Mamamia site, Freedman explains that she was shocked to read a quote by her used without permission on the jacket of Susan Mitchell‘s new book about Abbott. The quote reads:“If he’s elected as our PM in the future I would be very scared for women everywhere.” Freedman made this statement in a piece she wrote in 2009 when Abbott became Leader of the Opposition. She is not happy that Mitchell’s publisher’s used it on the book without consulting her as she has changed her mind about Abbott in the ensuing period and does not hold the same views.

Over a breakfast with Abbott, brokered by Women’s Weekly editor Helen McCabe, Freedman writes that she came to respect and genuinely like Abbott very much, and that she likes his vibe. “I don’t believe Tony Abbott is a direct threat to women” she notes and goes on:

He did talk about his frustration at being constantly portrayed as king of the Catholics and the assumption that his personal faith would affect his policies. He spelled out that he is not opposed to contraception or IVF and that his views on abortion were not nearly as black and white as many people thought.

I asked him how and why he thought he had this image if it was inaccurate and he talked me through his views on that which were rooted in the RU486 vote in 2006 when he was health minister.

If Abbott’s views on abortion aren’t black and white, this is a complete contradiction of his views as expressed on his website in a piece titled “Rate of abortion highlights our moral failings,” in which he states: When it comes to lobbying local politicians, there seems to be far more interest in the treatment of boatpeople, which is not morally black and white, than in the question of abortion, which is.

It’s also worth reading the transcript of Abbott’s ABC radio interview on the RU-486 (morning-after-pill) issue, in which he fails to explain why he’s ignored the AMA’s recommendations for the release of this drug for use by Australian women, in the face of overwhelming international research proving its safety.

Until Tony Abbott makes public statements to the contrary, women would be most unwise to accept any assurances that he’s changed his mind on women’s reproductive rights, especially as they are so clearly set out on his website. There is no mistaking his position.

We need hard facts from Abbott and we need them soon. If Mr Abbott no longer sees abortion as a “black and white issue”, if Mr Abbott no longer views abortion as “a convenience for the mother” as he states on his website, then he needs to let us know.

In the meantime one has to wonder if Ms Freedman has read the piece on Abbott’s website, because the dissonance between what he has written there and what he has said to her is great. It’s a measure of the man’s profound and sickening duplicity that he uses Ms Freedman in an attempt to persuade women he has revised his views on abortion, while making no attempt to correct the quite contrary views expressed on his website.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/876238631702102017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/876403548698722307

14th in a row.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 18, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

there's been like three whole pages and no one has mentioned mia freedman, what the gently caress happened?

Her intern quit.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
‘Absolute bombshell’ on One Nation

Independent Victorian senator Derryn Hinch says an “absolute bombshell” will be dropped shortly relating to One Nation.

“It’s not financial. Nobody’s quitting,” Senator Hinch told 3AW radio.

“It involves a staffer, not a senator.”

Asked if the public should care about the “bombshell, Senator Hinch said: “I think you will.”

Neil Mitchell: Is James Ashby doing something?

Hinch: Oh… umm… ah… Move on.

Neil: Is that a ‘No comment’?

Hinch: It’s a ‘No comment’. My first ‘No comment’ ever.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Sources who attended the meeting said some parents, concerned about massive fee rises, were in tears and said they would have to send their children to a public school if the changes passed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/LucyXIV/status/876994361371770881

https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/876991776652906496

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/civil_centrist/status/841897013281206273

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/877291309337268224

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Knorth posted:

Are you saying there's a party that does?

Yes the ALP.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Like I'd drink whiskey :scoff:
Is there some sort of a problem with any of this?

To actual stupidity:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-21/government-may-have-set-itself-up-to-fail-with-this-budget/8636216

The obscene surplus was only achieved by an aggressive and stupid privatisation campaign. To compare it to a household budget: We can now afford to rent for a few years because we sold our house. These clowns are painfully and aggressively stupid. I guess I know where pubbie WoT players come from.

Don't forget stamp duty revenue from absurd house prices.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Why does Pauline hate Autistic Children?

She read your posts.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Save us Raptorfag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

How did Mia Freedman not anticipate Roxeanne Gay fallout?

MIA FREEDMAN has always been a pretty woman with an enviably slim figure and, in her younger days, an enviably expensive wardrobe.

She calls a $12.5 million Bellevue Hill mansion home, raised her three children with the help of a roster of nannies and landed her first job in magazine publishing at age 19 via her impeccable social connections.

It would be fair to say that Freedman, at 45, has never known many of the struggles most Australian women know in the first half of their lives and has little in common with the average Australian woman, some of whom are the extreme opposite of Freedman and might even be described as poor, plain-looking and plump.

This is not Freedman’s fault.

Her parents were and are attractive, successful, slim and rich, like Mia.

But being born beautiful and privileged can make it tricky to run a business that targets people who are neither, as the one-time Cosmopolitan magazine editor discovered last week.

For starters it can make it hard to empathise with those who have lived less fortunate and privileged lives and this in turn can lead to unintentional cruelty.

Mean girl tendencies, some might call it.

In recent days Freedman has drawn widespread and international criticism for having insulted American writer Roxane Gay in a blurb promoting a podcast interview for Freedman’s Mamamia website.

Gay is a black American writer who has been at the forefront of Western debate on modern feminism since publishing a book on the subject, Bad Feminist, in 2014.

In the book Gay promotes her view that feminism should be “inclusive” — a credo Freedman echoed on her own website that same year.

In the insensitive blurb attached to a podcast and for which Freedman has since apologised, a Mamamia scribe listed the difficulties organising a studio interview with a “super morbidly obese” person.

Gay has previously used these words to describe herself.

“Will she fit into the office lift? Is there a comfortable chair that will accommodate her ... frame?” Freedman’s website wrote to tantalise prospective listeners.

As any woman or man carrying a few or indeed tens of extra kilos could well tell Freedman, these are not logistical considerations an overweight person would want to share with the general public — irrespective of whether a slimmer person might think them shocking or somehow newsworthy.

Gay, 42, reacted angrily to her 220,000 Twitter followers:
“I am appalled by Mamamia. It was a poo poo show. I can walk a f...ing mile,” she posted to Twitter on June 13.

She followed it up: “‘Can she fit into the lift?’ Shame on you Mamamia.”

Freedman or her rep last week deleted the blurb, edited the podcast, and apologised.

Meanwhile the podcast itself, though more considered, proved awkward with Freedman gushing
over her interview-fatigued idol.

Freedman: “Thank you for being here. Thank you just for being actually. I’m a huge fan.”

A nonplussed Gay, who said being interviewed “sucks” and is “just exhausting”, explained her low energy: “I’m interviewed out ... People ask very dumb questions and very insulting.”

Freedman: “I hope to not add to that.”

Gay: “We’ll see how it goes.”

Freedman: “What would insult you? Why don’t you just tell me now?”

Gay: “I’ll just point it out when it happens.”

While the podcast and resulting controversy, teed up as a promotion for Gay’s new book, Hunger, only exploded into public consciousness last week, it had been brewing since May 25 when Gay asked openly though cryptically on Twitter: “Am I supposed to be grateful you provided a sturdy chair?”

With the writer’s sensitivities pricked four weeks ago, one then has to ask how it was that Freedman hadn’t taken extra measures to ensure the interview with Gay wasn’t promoted more carefully and with due sensitivity to the subject matter?

She had a month to draft and consider that offensive blurb. How did a woman who built a business enticing internet clicks and considers herself such a fan of Gay’s not recognise the potential fallout?

As it happened, this item did, in fact, go viral.

Ugly equals clicks.

Freedman established her website off the back of her 2009 memoir entitled Mamamia — a book which had largely as its focus the author’s miscarriage while missing entirely her years long separation from her husband Jason Levigne.

She knew enough about her public image to have shed the expensive hairstyles and wardrobe she was once slave to.

She also knows that the best way forward to appease the women who patronise her web business is the grovelling and much publicised 16-paragraph apology to Gay that ultimately eventuated: “Reading Roxane’s book Hunger taught me so much and opened my eyes to what life can be like for her and other women of her size. Because they are so much more than that.”

They are, of course.

And like Gay, they are entitled to resent rich, slim and privileged women claiming the right to tell them so.

• Locked thread