Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The months of hard work a Sydney builder put in to fix a fire-damaged terrace appeared all but in vain on Saturday when the property failed to sell under the hammer.

A complete overhaul of the two-bedroom Surry Hills terrace, which was badly damaged in a fire in early 2016, was not enough to get a buyer on board.

The home at 48 Little Riley Street was one of about 830 Sydney properties scheduled for auction on Saturday, as vendors rushed to sell before the end of autumn. By evening, Domain Group had collected 548 results to put the clearance rate at 75.9 per cent. The group’s chief economist Andrew Wilson said the autumn auction market had ended with a solid result for sellers, but the market had cooled somewhat from record May listings. 

Despite having a crowd of more than 30 people, auctioneer Jamie Thomas of Cooley Auctions was greeted with silence when he asked for an opening bid.

First-home buyer Fraser McKay eventually put his hand up with an offer of $1 million for the terrace, which sits on just 49-square metres. It was rejected by Mr Thomas who called for a bid of at least $1.2 million.

“But no one is bidding,” Mr McKay protested. “Not yet,” replied the auctioneer, before having to place a vendor bid of $1.25 million.

After that came a $1.26 million bid from Mr McKay. It went unchallenged from the one other registered bidder and the property passed in after failing to reach the $1.35 million reserve.

Mr McKay went into the terrace to negotiate with agent Christie Mortimer of Belle Property Surry Hills after the auction, but did not have any luck.

“It’s a bit disappointing that they wouldn’t sell it to me, seeing as I was the highest and only bidder,” the 34-year-old said after the auction.

Can't even sell a flipped fire damaged home to young people Mr. Speaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Foxtel's legal crusade against online piracy has intensified, with the company applying to add 127 additional URLs to its proposed block list in Federal Court. The new sites under the ban hammer include YesMovies, Vumoo, LosMovies, CartoonHD, Project Free TV 1, Torlock and 1337x. Here is the full list.

As reported on Computer World, Foxtel is stepping up its attacks on so-called pirate sites in a bid to prevent internet users from accessing content it holds the rights to. This includes the HBO series Game Of Thrones, which Australians are notorious for downloading illegally.

In December last year, Foxtel and Village Roadshow successfully blocked five popular torrent websites through the courts. The five sites on the ban list are The Pirate Bay, Torrentz, TorrentHound, IsoHunt and SolarMovie.

Foxtel's latest application names the following websites:

YesMovies
Vumoo
LosMovies
CartoonHD
Putlocker
Watch Series 1
Watch Series 2
Project Free TV 1
Project Free TV 2
Watch Episodes
Watch Episode Series
Watch TV Series
The Dare Telly
Putlocker9.is
Putlocker9.to
Torlock1337x.

As before, Foxtel has also named multiple URLs for the sites it is seeking to block for a grand total of 127. (In other words, a simple suffix change will not be enough to circumvent the ban.)

The court will now assesses the evidence in Foxtel's application to determine what action should be taken. Given the success of Foxtel's previous applications, we would be extremely surprised if an injunction was not handed down on all of the aforementioned sites. As before, internet service providers (ISPs) will have 15 days to implement the blocks.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

FYI blocking putlocker would gently caress up alot of Anime streams.

Rupert you monster!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

As a super cool and accurate Queensland expert either of the following will happen:

1. ALP Left revolt and a leadership challenge happens with an election being called regardless of result (rumourmill is that Trad hates the gently caress out of Adani)
2. ALP sleepwalks to an election and gets crushed by the LNP and One Nation as Rural QLDers are too "And this is 60 Minutes" to vote for The Greens or something.
3. ALP sleepwalks to an election and narrowly wins somehow causing no change but the environment can get hosed
4. Adani changes their mind or something that Labor looks like a bunch of idiots.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah but voters love Trad far far far far far far more. I'd love to show you stats but I can't.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

WHat should be worrying for the ALP is that 17% of 18-34 going for PHON

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

SMART STATE SUNSHINE STATE QUEENSLAND STRONG

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I love it when Ipswich keeps on filling it's stereotype

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Ask Whitehaven coal about stunts haha.

Hola.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's an online slang widely used in Australia's boisterous Chinese-language media outlets.

But its meaning, and whether it's affectionate or condescending towards Australia, remains a hot topic of debate.

Taken literally, TuAo means "unrefined, backwards Australia".

The term's widespread use in headlines on popular WeChat platforms like Sydney Today is a window into how the hundreds of thousands of Chinese students, graduates and migrants view the country where they reside.

"I feel it refers to how close you are to nature in Australia", said Annie Zhang, a permanent resident and Sydney University graduate who migrated from Beijing.

But she says the term also refers to the "coarse" Australian accent, and the country's perceived backwardness in everything from urban design to mobile payment technology.

"I've heard people say that England is America's village, and Australia is England's village, so it's really rural and unrefined," she said.

"China is so grandiose, whereas in Australia there aren't as many magnificent tall buildings."

Each day, tens of thousands of readers of the fast-growing Australian-based Chinese WeChat platforms see clickbait-style headlines referring to TuAo.

Many Chinese migrants say the term is mainly affectionate.

"Those students who are attracted to Australia, who are interested in facets of Australian life and like it here, they'll say TuAo," said Josh Rong, a journalist who also studied in Sydney.

'Laidback, modest, unassuming'

Some members of the Chinese community though see the word as representing an increasingly confident nationalism among young Chinese.

"This is a phenomenon for those we call the 'little pinks'," said Feng Chongyi, a Chinese studies professor at the University of Technology, referring to slang for young patriots.

"It's popular among them, not among the older generations.

"For them, [the term] is also loaded with some political meaning to show their own nationalism — to compare the Chinese modernisation to Australia, which they call a large village."

Chinese internet slang is dynamic and often open to interpretation and regional differences.

Wai Ling Yeung, a former Chinese studies professor at Curtin University, points out that many Chinese-Australians use the character for village when referring to suburbs.

"Because of that, many China-based netizens think all Australian cities are like country towns, but this is in fact not what Chinese-Australians mean," she said.

She contrasts TuAo with humorous slang used by Chinese abroad in other countries, including FuGuo for Britain, meaning "decadent country" — a coded term believed to refer to the UK's attitudes towards homosexuality.

The US is also sometimes referred to online as MeiDi, meaning "American empire".

"In a way we are very proud of being 'Tu'," Ms Yeung said

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

http://www.loveaustraliaorleave.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/KimVugaLoveAustraliaorLeaveParty/
:stare:

quote:

In October 2014, I was involved in the making of a TV Documentary “Go Back To Where You Come From” for SBS, which I travelled through many hotspots in the Middle East. At times I was placed in extremely dangerous situations where I spent a lot of time with the Kurdish fighters in front line positions and being shot at by ISIS while in Syria. During the making of the documentary, I visited the UN refugee camp and witnessed firsthand why Australia should be very concerned about its border protection and the disadvantages of having an open door policy towards immigration. It was from this experience, I learnt about the many security issues that could affect our country in the foreseeable future!
:thunk:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lmao the LNP budget reply in QLD is to turn the Roma St Railyard into malls and apartments.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...71f560f6c9c489e

Lol yes hmm let's demolish the train stations for another loving stadium.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Recoome posted:

I completely agree, in a city with a woefully inadequate public transportation system, the answer is of course to go balls deep with it and demolish all the public transportation.

Imagine all the congestion we could have with another stadium

For the loving firebirds

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Mr Premier where the gently caress do we dock the trains now?

Shut the gently caress up, the firebirds are playing

How do all those people get there without a train or bus station? How do you plan on demolishing a train station, yard and relocating your entire inner city train fleet to a magical location? The firebirds already play at the loving convention centre.

How? why? How? Why? How?

Brisb-brisbane s s s strong!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Mr Nicholls said the LNP would grant AEG Ogden a two-year exclusive mandate for a fully costed business case to develop the site over the top of the railyards, and he promised to assess it within four months under a “supercharged’’ Market-Led Proposals framework.

“supercharged’’ Market-Led Proposals framework.

Who wrote this I am going to kill you. Who is your speech writer LNP? What does it mean.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

As if Brisbane has enough teams to care about for another stadium?

Red? Suncorp
Broncos? Suncorp
Cricket? Gabba
Basketball? Convention Centre

Who is this for even?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

NPR Journalizard posted:

People who like sports ball.

Oh boy, Queensland has to travel to Brisbane on subpar public transport for another loving team.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Clearly some Tory mates like the firebirds so gently caress you trains

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I've actually come to the conclusion that anyone wearing a shirt of a Brisbane team is a loving lunatic.

Someone arrest iajanus

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Perth vs Brisbane?

It's not even a contest.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Kommando posted:

I agree, I'd pick Perth over Brisbane any and every day.

I'd be confused too if I moved closer to federal parliament.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Isn't Perth where Australians go to become Baby Boomers?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Come visit Perth, the birthplace of *mumble mumble*

*Gets sacrificed to giant squid *

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

GoldStandardConure posted:

goons itt all falling over themselves to try and convince everyone that they aren't cheetos-golems with no social life by talking about things like "going out for dinner" and "live music"

you're not fooling anyone

My social life involves talking to consoles and rats in a padded room

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

GoldStandardConure posted:

no, progress is a competitive mtg and 40k scene

We have a the guf

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Let me one up you

Priced out of the country: Houses in Sydney and Melbourne are so expensive that Australian first home buyers are snapping up properties in JAPAN

The housing affordability crisis gripping Sydney and Melbourne is so severe some first home buyers are purchasing properties in Japan instead.

One such person is Paul Linabury, 30, from Western Australia, who has just purchased a three-bedroom house in Niseko, Japan for $90,000 with his partner and two other couples.

'I was purchasing as a bit of an investment opportunity in Niseko, Japan, along with with two other friends,' Mr Linabury told Daily Mail Australia.

'When you look at the comparative price of property in Japan, and then take into account splitting it three ways, it was an affordable option to consider.

'I don't have a property in the Australian market, which has a little to do with the fact that it seemed much better value for money in Japan.

Mr Linabury and the other purchasers plan to use the three-bedroom house in Niseko - which is in Japan's snowfields - as a holiday house as well as offering it as a short-term rental through Airbnb.

'I would potentially use the capital invested in the house as security, which the banks can lend against.

'I didn't buy with the intention of selling and using the capital gains to get into the property market in Australia, but even in the last six months the property has gone up in value, so you never know,' Mr Linabury said.

He told the Australian that he had bought the bargain in Niseko by splitting it six ways.

A check on property portal https://www.realestate.com.au found a three-bedroom house in the Sydney suburb of Balmain was going for $2.6million.

Meanwhile, in Melbourne a three-bedroom in Degraves Street, Parkville was going for $2.3million to $2.5million.

International transfer company OFX on Monday unveiled data showing that Australians aged between 18 and 30 were increasingly transacting in property deals abroad.

'OFX transfer data and the current strength of the Australian property market, when viewed in combination, suggest that that our millennial customers could be increasingly looking outside Australia when it comes to initial involvement in property investment,' OFX chief operations officer Adam Smith said.

'What's particularly interesting is that foreign property transactions appear to correlate with the strength of foreign currency rates, so when the Australian dollar is strong against the US dollar for example, we see an increase in property related transfers to the US.

'Faced with an affordability crisis in the domestic market, Australian-based millennials are pursuing overseas property acquisitions, particularly at times when the Australian dollar is strong against the US dollar and the British pound.'

OFX data shows that numbers have increased from 25 in 2011 to 123 per year, reaching a peak last June.

The popular reason for moneys transfers with OFX were for property, house, mortgage, apartment, villa, building, renovations and deposit.

This represents an average increase of 23 percent per year, tracked over a five year period.

Interestingly, while overseas property purchasing by most age groups of Australians has been on a gradual decline since 2013, there has been a steady increase seen among Aussies aged from 18-30-year-old.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

He's not retiring yet :shrug:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says he won't apologise for asking migrants to become "Australian patriots", in a bid to strengthen support for citizenship changes.

This comes in the same week as the Federal Government introduces legislation to tighten visa and citizenship requirements.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Spirited Andrew Bolt puts his attackers to shame

So, I made a mistake. You could even say I was wr… wro… less right than usual.

A couple of weeks ago, amused by the Nazi punching meme, I wrote what I hoped would be an amusing column unpacking that particular clown circus. In the end I came down on the side of not punching anyone, but I had so much fun relaying the arguments in favour of getting punchy that I probably didn't make myself clear. So I'll try again: Physically attacking anybody for any reason other than unavoidable defence against a clear and present danger is a douche move.

What about less violent physical confrontations.

Like glitter bombing reactionary trollumnist Andrew Bolt?

TWITTER WHATSAPP

CommentBlunt InstrumentList subcategories

SAVE

LICENSE ARTICLE

50 READING NOW

SHOW COMMENTS

Spirited Andrew Bolt puts his attackers to shame

John Birmingham

12 hrs ago

Play Video

New vision of Bolt attack

So, I made a mistake. You could even say I was wr… wro… less right than usual.

A couple of weeks ago, amused by the Nazi punching meme, I wrote what I hoped would be an amusing column unpacking that particular clown circus. In the end I came down on the side of not punching anyone, but I had so much fun relaying the arguments in favour of getting punchy that I probably didn't make myself clear. So I'll try again: Physically attacking anybody for any reason other than unavoidable defence against a clear and present danger is a douche move.

What about less violent physical confrontations.

Like glitter bombing reactionary trollumnist Andrew Bolt?

RELATED ARTICLE

Bolt assault: Photographer says he is not connected to any political groups

Still a douche move.

And shooting video of your sad little glitter bomb attack for a little viral release after the fact? A moronic douche move of such life-threatening stupidity that you would probably die of stupidity even in a carefully controlled ecosystem designed to foster hand-raised idiots for release into the wild. An environment, say, not unlike the comment thread of an Andrew Bolt blog.

Yes. That's right.

If you are dumb enough to physically attack Andrew Bolt, even with glitter and shaving cream, you are probably so stupid that natural selection couldn't find a niche for you in an environment of perfect stupidity.

Seriously, what were those guys thinking last week? The ones who not only attacked Bolt from behind but apparently did so on camera?

The first thing they were thinking, like anybody who raises a hand against anyone else, is that they were going to win. They were going to get away with it. 

But that didn't work out so well did it?

I'll give the Bolter this if nothing else, he has a brawler's instincts and a fighter's spirit. He was attacked, without warning, from behind, and his natural reaction was two-fisted. Most people would just freeze. There was nothing polished about his defence. It was a wild melee of a thing, with no footwork and dangerously poor target selection. I think he might have punched a pole at one point. But unlike the arse clowns who ambushed him, he was up for it. The first sign of any push back and those heroes, all three of them, went to water.

They looked like cowards and fools. The only harm they did to Bolt was to ruin his suit, which he's now auctioned off for charity. 

The harm they did to the arguments and standing of everyone who disagrees with his vile and frequently dangerous opinions was immeasurable.

Nice work, fellas. 

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Edit your poo poo Brisbane boy.

Nah. I'll just leave it on the street

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hey I didnt make these posts what's going on

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

That does it I'm joining Salt

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Meanwhile in Queensland...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Zenithe posted:

The comments for Seven News Brisbane for this article are about the same. See? Even QLD knows this article is BS.

Ch9 has zero comments.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

SUNCORP changed their logo into an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oporto > *

• Locked thread