Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The answer to the riddle of steel lies somewhere in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I already donate the the charity that finds homeless people and stomps on their heads. Stop funding these international charities and think about our people first

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stop addressing criticisms and garbage raised in these loving low readership DOGSHIT rags, ABC.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Brighton just got terrorised. Time to close the borders.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sounds like he was making bombs with another guy and individuals yelling IS or whatever are still doing what IS wants them to do so who gives a gently caress what number of men are yelling it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bombs or not the dude isn't a random crazy, he's a dude with internet access watching a bunch of bad poo poo and sharing bad opinions with other clowns instead of chilling in the 'yob for a bit until he calmed down.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mad Katter posted:

So we should deny people parole based on charges that they weren't convicted for?

Jesus Christ.

Where there's smoke there's fire buddy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A journalist family friend who has sadly passed away once challenged Bolt to a fight outside a pub in Canberra. Bolt agreed to the fight but used the other door to escape.

I do not believe he gave anything to anyone.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Apparently a second Australian was killed in London and she's a hot blonde.

Battlestations.

e: also noting that the family needs to clarify that she doesn't drink or do drugs and this speaks to her being a "good person".

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 7, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Somebody posted about having a friend who was talking about Muslim religious leaders secretly approving of terrorist acts they've publicly denounced a couple of days ago; this probably won't help but you could try:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/london-bridge-attack-british-imams-refuse-to-perform-funerals-for-attackers/

Yeah and I poo poo you now, right wingers online are saying "they should have a proper burial because in our civilised country we offer everyone a proper Christian ceremony."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I'm not sure about the specifics but I travelled in Morocco during Ramadan one year. Muslims are not allowed to eat or drink during daylight hours but once the sun goes down everyone has a big feast. It was actually a really fun environment. After eating it seemed like everyone just went and had a big street party, kids and families everywhere until late at night, people having lots of fun.

I was in the UAE at Ramadan and it was a good times free for all after sundown.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Andrews has to do some poo poo or he won't get reelected and we will end up with chucklefuck liberals again, so if he needs to do this poo poo to keep making other good policies and not gently caress up the state then whatever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cartoon posted:

What flavour is that Koolaid?

Nice zinger, doe-eyed 10% of all voters poster Cartoon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

People are home scared because they're loving idiots and being perceived to not give a gently caress is dumb as hell politically.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"Mr Andrews what are you going to do given someone just did an ISIS in the city?"

"I don't know, gently caress all I guess. Anyway, level crossings..."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He is at risk in the west because cretins are eating up the terrorism and law and order poo poo in addition to gentrification changing the voter landscape a little bit.

Of course the opposition are going to say they'll do more (they're campaigning on public trasport LOL). The issue is you can't just turn around to the whole electorate and use special ability Visionary Leadership to make people stop buying into all the poo poo they're into. I spent 7 years in warehouses talking to working white people and I'm going to state it plainly, they are in general bad opinion havers of the highest order and they do not give a gently caress if that opinion is bad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

"Stop being whingers you fucks, if he'd just been a junky it'd just be a tragic statistic."

No it wouldn't it would be "why aren't you warring on drugs" and "why are meth heads invading beautiful Brighton".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cartoon posted:

"I'm glad you asked Joe! We are going to ensure that there are radicalisation programs in place and that all people who are likely to be radicalised by our callous and unsupportable actions in the Middle East are able to attend. In the case of people known to be at risk, where the state already has powers of coercion, then they will be channelled towards them and the effects monitored closely as part of ongoing correctional activities. But it must be stressed that without disengagement and steps towards reconciliation in the Middle East we can do little more than bandaid these wounds.

Clearly the anti terror theatre is doing little to protect citizens and we must not further encroach on our freedoms or intrude into the Australian way of life. It is folly to spend money on ineffective and counterproductive measures. I can assure the people of Victoria that their money will not be misspent in pointless window dressing."

My fake clever D. Andrews is much more electable than your one, ALP stooge in a clown suit.

Your guy just blamed Australia for terrorism and you think that is going to gel with swing voters. What the loving lol. If they want that speech they can vote for the Greens, that's fine and good for the country. The ones that are swinging left to right don't give a gently caress about anything in that fancily worded statement.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

"So much for the masculine right. Want a safe space?"

I really think Labor needs to start just asserting their policies/opinions are correct regardless of whatever the right might say. The right do it. You just need to say it loudly enough.

hooman posted:

Yeah let's never try to educate or inform discussion, don't include nuance or try to change the terms of a debate, just engage with the LNPs talking points whole cloth and then we'll win the discussion we've allowed them to frame somehow.

I think you all misunderstand that I am stating what happens in politics, not my ideological perspective. The ALP doesn't have a strong, noble approach to terrorism that isn't security and law and order. Their policy is watered down LNP policy. I don't even vote for the ALP.

I could get in here and masturbate furiously over the purest ideology with the best, but then we would be in the same sphere as voters that doggedly pursue law and order issues or flip their wigs over terrorism. The plain and simple problem is that you want Labor economic policy for what that is worth these days, but you have to deal with the fact that the working voter base for the ALP is very interested in law and order/terrorism. The more this stuff happens both here and internationally, the more it speeds ALP voters who have welfare state hearts across to the LNP because they hate browns and fear spectres so viscerally that they submit to getting clowned on economically in exchange for a perception of security.

This is a country that elects conservative governments far more often than it does progressive governments and I think you need to factor that into policy and public statements.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean, if you've been paying attention at all to the British election you should know getting this message across to a similar audience actually isn't that difficult.

The British election is being lost in the polls by an incompetent Tory candidate.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But this lazy approach to convincing people is exactly why these people are never challenged to think of the problems another way. The ALP should actually come up with policy that attempts to fight the problem in a different way.

Attacking the libs for only dealing with the surface problem and making the country less safe due to security theatre is exactly the way you convince people to change their mind. You reassure them the problem is being dealt with, just not in the same stupid loving way they'd like it.

They are frequently challenged in the media but frightened people are hard to turn, especially when they turn the fear into fury at an other. I don't think the ALP is particularly interested in spending one or more election cycles educating people on a better way to defeat terrorism because parliamentary democracy is a reactionary garbage fire.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Paingod556 posted:

I'd argue that maybe they wont buy the select fire models and stick to semi auto only M4s, but government officials have done so much stupid poo poo recently of course they'll go select fire to protect us from 900 terrorists per minute.

Wasn't one of the fatalities from the Lindt siege caused by fragments from 5.56mm FMJ rounds that shattered on hitting the walls?

I thought they straight up shot a hostage.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Three terrorist attacks while Jam-man 'Actually this is blowback for imperialist wars in the middle east' Corbyn rose steadily in the polls. 75% of Britons agreed with him that wars in the ME increased the risk of terror, while the press were wanking over how awful the stance would be for him in the polls.

They still poll at 70% to reduce immigration though. The problem is fear of terrorism (which isn't reduced by naming the culprit although it does help) and racism.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I thought most police use hollow points for pretty much that exact reason, less penetration.

I guess the counter-terrorism guys have to prepare for body armour?

The real reason they use hollow points is the do maximum damage and increase stopping power, innocent bystanders is justification to tear up people's guts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You're gonna need AP rounds when the property market crashes and you're suddenly confronted by a battalion of classic Australian muscle cars while trying to loot JB.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's looking good as gently caress.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PC Brigadier posted:

i'm so happy,
even if it doesn't work out, its a good reminder for everyone on the left to double down, not compromise, and for centrists to watch their loving backs.

Tom Watson is rolling around like "I always believed!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is she being coached off screen? What a shitshow.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BBJoey posted:

https://twitter.com/AlboMP/status/873030015608168448

look out bill he's coming for your zingers

That was the Labour campaign catch cry.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NTRabbit posted:

:byodood: THE LEFT IS UNELECTABLE THE LEFT IS UNELECTABLE THE LEFT IS UNELECTABLE THE LEFT IS UNELECTABLE THE LEFT IS UNELECTABLE THE LEFT IS UNELECTABLE THE LEFT IS UNELECTABLE

The greens are unelectable, no one ever said anything about the left.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DEATH IS A LIE. HOPE IS CERTAIN.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

yeah but holding one 3 years early?

Yes because of Brexit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Graic Gabtar posted:

Sounds great until your kids are holding your hand while you sign the paperwork.

I'm gonna loving sign you up as soon as I can.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Australia has compulsory voting so the Corbyn campaign is completely irrelevant.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You can reduce someone's pay as long as it isn't below the award or agreement. There are grounds to argue unfair dismissal if it drives you out if the job but that's about it. The other trick is to just give someone a poo poo performance review.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You get Corbyn types when the party suffers a wipeout which isn't going to happen to Shorten.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MythLisp posted:

I would say it didn't seem to happen to QLD Labor, but then again, Queensland is its own kettle of fish.

Someone needs to be there to take advantage obviously.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gently caress off Pom Australia is the bloody best

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hakimashou posted:

I'm not British I'm American.

gently caress off yank Australia is the bloody best.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Collingwood lost, dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017