Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
God drat Trumbull is a bumbling fool in this press conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Endman posted:

They do realise that the rate we burn and release CO2 is far faster than the billions of years of organic decay it took to form coal right.

Right?

Even if they did realise that they'd still have no idea that the rate at which things change matters and that faster isn't necessarily better.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Why the gently caress would you means test a UBI? Just scrap tax deductions and shift the tax brackets so those earning above a certain amount don't see any net benefit? Why make this poo poo harder to administer than it has to be.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Silentgoldfish posted:

Rant ahead:

I thought I'd avoided personally being involved with the robo-debt fiasco since I haven't ever been on centerlink.

Then my estranged father died. I haven't spoken to him in 7 years, but I went back to Queensland, arranged for cremation ($2400), cleared his flat ($900) and divided up any items of sentiment between me and my siblings (photos, mostly). He had about a grand in the bank but owed 5 grand in personal loans but on presentation of his death certificate the bank closed his accounts and wiped the debt, though they kept the money as well.

Then yesterday I got a letter from Centerlink saying basically "We're sorry for the loss of your father. His income was reported incorrectly in 2012. As the executor of his estate you now owe the government $8400 by July 11th."

Needless to say me and my partner were furious, went straight to Centerlink and fumed until we were put onto the debt recovery people where we essentially told them to go gently caress themselves, we weren't paying back poo poo, and to remove our names from everything to do with the account.

They capitulated, but man, if I already didn't think this government was scummy enough, that kick in the balls really made it feel personal.

You should email news sites/organisations with this. It's probably a bit of an old topic now but they might be interested in it as it's a bit of a different take on the whole thing. Centrelink deserves to be poo poo on in every way possible for doing stuff like that.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

snoremac posted:

They scoffed at me when I pointed out the employer was operating a forklift without a license -- which would have put my safety at risk since I would also be working in the warehouse

IANAL but this is the point that should get you off with no penalty. If the criteria is that you must take any 'suitable' job offer then working in an unsafe workplace has to make it not suitable. Having a unqualified people operating that kind of machinery in an environment you will be working in is by definition unsafe.

If they push it then go to centrelink and say they were trying to force you to work in an unsafe environment. Look at the relevant Workcover stuff as well so they can't argue with it.

In short, gently caress them and gently caress them hard.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

snoremac posted:

I got off due to the illegal training wage. They were suddenly very chipper and kind. Haven't slept since yesterday and I'm too tired to process what that means.

Nice.

If can you should report the business to Fair Work and Workcover. They were trying to scam the system to force people into a job for unfair pay in an unsafe work environment. gently caress them.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If the Mia Freedman had done absolutely nothing wrong at any point in her life she'd still deserve a horrible death for spawning the poo poo that has occurred in this thread. Shut the gently caress up about Mia Freedman (whoever the gently caress that is).

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Lid posted:

Well, in all likelihood, that's expulsion.

They can just kick her out and replace her with someone else can't they?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Any party that lets career politicians into positions of power is poo poo.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

You can probably achieve more or less the same thing without turfing every tenant in the country onto the street by implementing a Great Big New Tax on vacant properties

Vacant properties in Paris get taxed at 60% of the expected rental return. :getin:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If you ever hear anyone argue that increasing supply is the solution to the housing affordability crisis then you can safely assume that they are an idiot.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/census-2016-almost-one-in-five-homes-built-in-australia-are-unoccupied/ar-BBDjXWd?li=AAgfIYZ&ocid=iehp posted:

If you're wondering why Australia's record-breaking residential construction boom has done little to ease housing affordability in Australia's largest cities, perhaps it's because many of the homes built are currently unoccupied.

Kristina Clifton, economist at the Commonwealth Bank, explains:

There has been a lot of talk in the press about foreigners purchasing new apartments and then leaving them empty. The government is trying to deter this type of activity with a new vacancy tax for foreigners introduced in the latest Federal Budget in May. The Victorian Government is also introducing a similar tax. It’s been difficult to work out the extent to which this is happening. But the Census data tell us that the proportion of dwellings that are unoccupied increased by 0.5 percentage points (ppts) to 11.2% over the four years to 2016. The increase was 0.2 ppts larger than over the four years to the 2011 Census. Of the additional stock built over the four years to 2016, around 17% has been left unoccupied. One caveat however is that we don’t know the ownership split between domestic and foreigners owners for this unoccupied housing stock. But regardless of the ownership, new supply has had to increase at a faster rate than otherwise in order to keep up with demand.

Regardless of whether they were purchased by locals or foreign investors, close to one in five new dwellings built over that period was unoccupied on census night, according to the CBA's analysis.

And, in absolute terms, over one million dwellings nationwide are currently unoccupied.

Along with an upward revision to population growth and an unchanged national average of 2.6 persons per dwelling, it suggests that underlying demand for housing is a little stronger than what many people were expecting, helping to explain why housing costs haven't really responded in Australia's largest centres.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Aesculus posted:

bahahahahahah they just mass-emailed every greens member/supporter on their database to announce their ultimatium to NSW

For those that didn't get the email:

quote:

I am emailing you to provide an update on today’s Party Room meeting.

Our focus remains on ensuring that Party Room functions effectively, with confidence and accountability.

To function as a national Party Room, and to be a genuine alternative to politics as usual, we need to have faith and trust in our processes.

Recent days have highlighted a structural issue that needs to be addressed within our organisation.

It was in this spirit, the Australian Greens Party Room met today and resolved:

- The Australian Greens Party Room request that National Council work with Greens NSW to end the practice of NSW MPs being bound to vote against the decision of the Australian Greens Party Room.
- That NSW Senators be excluded from Party Room discussions and decisions on contentious government legislation, including within their portfolio responsibilities, until these issues are resolved.

We'll continue to work and campaign together on the issues we're fighting for, to achieve progressive political outcomes for all.

Your support continues to be the lifeblood of the Greens. Thank you for all that you do,

Senator Rachel Siewert
Australian Greens Whip

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Scarecow posted:

So why is it unreasonable for cyclists to pay rego that goes to the roads, would also help add weight to requests to make roads more cyclists friendly?

The only thing that would help add weight to the argument that we need more cyclist friendly roads is if you held a gun to the head of the minister for roads. And even then they are so far in the pocket of transurban that they'd take the bullet instead.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Scarecow posted:

I care when I encounter people on bikes ether very late at night or very early in the morning when I'm on the way to work and they are not far left enough and/or also not wearing clothing that actually reflects my headlights, the only saving grace is a little blinking red light to let me notice they are there or said bike thinking it would be a good idea to make a right hand turn just round a corner with no indication that he was going to do so, I also care that I have to share the road with people who have not had any testing done to prove that they know what road rules apply to them when they take their particular mode of transport on to the roads.

Your not going to win over the majority of people on the roads if your going to keep rocking that attitude

Pretty much all of this applies to pedestrians (if not more - people walking don't need flashing lights) and I doubt you'd complain so hard about them.

You should be complaining that we hardly have any seperated bike lanes, or any bike infrastructure at all. That's a far bigger safety issue than anything you mentioned.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

JBP posted:

But then they have to register the bike because it's not fair that those people get bike lanes for free.

Pleas amend your attitude as well if you would like to make a post on these, the Something Awful . com forums.

But shitposting is the only thing that brings me joy in this horrible world :(

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Birdstrike posted:

You can shitpost if you register with the government first.

A licence to shitpost? That's unaustralian!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Laserface posted:

I have 3 offices, 2 that are 40km from home and 1 that is 70km.

all three are near train stations.

currently its on average 1hr 15min drive to each office from my house in the morning and evening.

google maps tells me it is 2hr 47min to cycle directly to my main office, 2hrs to cycle to second office and 4hrs to the third office.

if I throw in public transport the travel time for each office is 3 hours.

Sometimes I even have to visit all three in the same day!

edit: I am a 30min Drive from my nearest train station.

Yeah, your issues are clearly affordability related, but even if you could afford to live closer to where you work then you'd just encounter all the same lack of bike (and pedestrian) infrastructure that currently exists. Sure, you might be happy to ride on roads where bikes are mixed with cars going 80kmph but a hell of a lot of people want to feel safe while they ride. Overall, if you want to really increase bike mode share rates then you need dedicated infrastructure for them.

Just out of curiosity, do you know how much do you spend on car related travel per year?

• Locked thread