Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Nobody wants a lovely service of Law&Order reruns and Housewives of X shlock, so maybe if they spend the money they put into lawyers in r&d on a service people might actually want. Or they could save/make money partnering/selling the content they have licenses for with Netflix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
What is MTGOW? I tried googling it but I'm not giving hits to redpill blogs/youtubes and couldn't see an urban dictionary or anything

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Hobo Erotica posted:

It wasn't a complaint, and it wasn't really kicking. Mia is a huge fan of Roxanne and that was abundantly clear before, during, and after the interview. Look, mentioning the planning process was meant in the same vein as the interview. You're right, it is a fine line, and this was a slip. It was a mistake, it was insensitive, and it's been acknowledged as such and unreservedly apologized for. Mia is explicitly about positive body image and acceptance. So, my question is about the vitriolic response directed towards Mia, which seems to go far beyond this issue. If it is such a fine line, why so much hate? And don't say 'interns' because none of it was about that.

If you're going with the "kicking down" thing, it feels closer to something like "accidentally touched her with her foot" rather than "deliberately and maliciously kicked her down."

I guess I'm talking mostly about the way pedestrian covered it, but the comments on SMH and ABC and everything else are the same. People are likening it bludgeoning her with a gavel, disgusting, etc, calling her a horrible oval office, shameful, trash, pathetic arsehole, literally sickening etc. It's hard to believe they really care that much about the planning details for Gay's book tour being mentioned in the context of how different it is for people of different sizes to exist in the world, it seems like there is something else going on. She wasn't trashing another woman's body, she was saying it makes some things logistically tricky, that was the point. To be honest I think that part of the problem was that Roxanne didn't know about the questions that her publicist asked and was surprised to learn them.

It looks like we have a woman who has independently built a women's media platform from nothing, in a landscape (and culture) dominated by male voices, she talks honestly and openly about all sorts of things, specifically about being a woman today. And she's just being jumped on, not just for this, but for her whole career. And that's interesting to me, and I thought it would be here too. Especially since we're talking about media networks coming and going etc. A lot of the attacks seem gendered and its surprising what people let pass.

I've asked people to give me any examples of how shes an anti-feminist or whatever, but no results yet.

A woman hosed up, so it's getting much more attention and reprobation in the public sphere, but she still hosed up. Calling herself Fat and writing about her experience doesn't give licence to other people to say they don't like saying fat so you're actually 'clinically super morbidly obese' - like, thanks that feels so much more empowering than THE F WORD that only seems to be scary to women who've never seen the wrong side of a 26 BMI.

eta: my only regular exposure to her is via mamamia spoilers so I don't exactly have a high opinion of them anyway. It's clickbait gossip rags dressing up in digital shoes and trying to pretend it's better/different than women's day.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 15, 2017

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
If bacon can be friends with ice cream and syrup and live happily together on a waffle then ham can be friends with pineapple and live happily together on a pizza. I think it can be bad when they overdo the pineapple though, there needs to be a balance of light and well drained toppings or the base gets all soggy and gross, but that can happen with capsicum and mushroom on pizza too it's not a pineapple specific issue.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I got tropical pizza for dinner.

Change from within.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm fat too so it's very topical

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Come on, be fair, Hobo could just be interning with the mamamia team and the only way they can get a job if they source our hot take and rewrite one of our forum posts explaining why Mia wasn't wrong

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Ignoring the rebuttals people are making because she isn't the worst offender or isn't the only offender or isn't making bad decisions in a vacuum doesn't make your argument any more compelling.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
But the system they can get for free will be funded to the extent that it can provide services on par with what they're currently paying for. I mean, that's the point if not the immediate outcome.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
We could start a #putoutyournips but I think it's already been done

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
No but you see the universe always makes more bills when you pay them and they are not at all generated on a highly predictable monthly, quarterly and yearly basis that even a machine could understand. It's total cosmic chaos of expenses because you didn't treat yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Korgan posted:

This is revenge for not taking that amazing job opportunity. They want you to leave because you know your rights and they can't just foist whatever bullshit on you and have you out the door asap. You're costing them money. Document everything and then bring it to Centrelink and/or the DoE to see if they care? I mean they probably won't, but there's a slight chance of them getting in trouble, right? Or at least not being able to repeat this with the next poor bastard they get to "help".

I shouldn't be surprised that you can be managed out of social safety nets this easily but I think I'm going to be when the DoE tells you there's no proof of this at all and they're just doing their job.

I reckon it's cos they don't actually get anyone a real job, just funnel their clients into a small network of businesses they have kickbacks with. My job network job a decade plus ago was similar - hired a lot of people off the dole and the woman taking my interview made a personal phone call during my interview so it was obviously a show.

• Locked thread