Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
They can't really depose Turnbull without looking like RuddGillardRudd, can they? They're sort of stuck with this dead fish. And I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Actually I was chucking out copies of the Arse from my library and I noticed they did an article on Dutton with some poo poo about being a warrior or something. Didn't read it, through it out with the rest of the poo poo, but my sense was they were trying to talk him up.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Good thing we sucked Adani's dick - look at all the votes it got us.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

She is one of many women hosting screenings of Cassie Jaye’s controversial documentary The Red Pill, in which the young feminist filmmaker looks seriously at men’s issues and decides they warrant proper attention. Jaye renounced her feminism in protest against the way extremists were silencing discussion of such matters.

I see they're cutting back on sub-eds at the Arse as well.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
My taxi driver tonight thinks that all the Muslims coming out against the terrorist attacks are secretly condoning them. I said I haven't seen any evidence of support for terrorism from, say, Wallsend Mosque and he said "Oh, no, they wouldn't support it but they might be saying well, you know, 'that's one down', don't you think?"

We're hosed.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

hawaiian_robot posted:

Newie goon?

Saw a fb post from my brother that was basically "rarrabargle kill em all and take their oil" which was kinda disappointing but not too surprising

Yup - Newie goon.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Well I hope the situation stablizes before my stopover in the UAE in September. We all have our problems, and it doesn't hurt to think about other people like me once in a while.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

GoldStandardConure posted:

goons itt all falling over themselves to try and convince everyone that they aren't cheetos-golems with no social life by talking about things like "going out for dinner" and "live music"

you're not fooling anyone

I saw Sarah Blasko last night and have the 2XL t-shirt to prove it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Why would you go out and buy spiced chicken when you can make your own at home cheaper with fresh ingredients that's much more delicious?

(I don't actually know the answer to this, I'm a vegetarian)

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
In other Auspol developments, Pizza Hut is better than Dominos.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
https://www.pizzahut.com.au/home

I don't know if there's a restaurant in your area, might just be a Newcastle/Lake Macquarie thing. We have simple tastes here, on the outskirts of Sydney.

E: Lol, there's one in Chullora. YUM YUM INDUSTRY FLAVOURED PIZZA

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
We've got a local pizza place we use because they do jeagan and my wife can't eat dairy. But you got to pick it up, so if we're working different shifts and it's every person for themself, I just say fuckit and get Pizza Hut.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

AgentF posted:

So when the Liberals haven't caused a scandal in the last ten minutes we resort to bickering about garbage food.

Someone brought up LF so it was inevitable.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I was quoting a goon who said a similar thing except he was talking about going to restaurants. You know, proper restaurants. Where you go with friends.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Bogan King posted:

Christensen was banging on for months that he'd cross the floor. Guess it was too far when the time came though.

Is the miserable gently caress even out of surgery yet.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm sorry that priests repeatedly raped you and this was covered up by the Church. Have you thought about letting God into your heart?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Hobo Erotica posted:

I get the joke and all but you can see how juvenile this is, right?

So is there any debate or discussion in D&D these days? Or the public shaming of women with opinions is fine even if the reasons don't really hold up to the slightest scrutiny and lol if you actually give them any scrutiny?

I guess it looks like you're railing about a news story that's tomorrow's fish and chip paper. Freedman's news service made a blunder and some people are making too big a deal about it. I don't see those people in this thread. Mamamia isn't above criticism in this instance. But mainly you've written a minor essay about something that really doesn't seem that important.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I want kids to take as many drugs as possible. What now.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I wonder if Caleb gets like this when people hang poo poo on Daisy.

Let it go, HE. Let it goooo...

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
OTOH all men are rapists and shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Frogfingers posted:

All men but me are rapists, I'm a nice guy.

No, you're a rapist too. Soz.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I agree.

I'm having a hamburger pizza with beetroot, pineapple, and nandos spiced chicken.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

aejix posted:

Good call. Chris Kenny hot takes 3 2 1 go

He's observing the three month anniversary of Bill Leak's death.

https://twitter.com/chriskkenny/status/875992347611287552

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Hobo Erotica posted:

Dane Cook, Do you deliberately not source your quotes?

I can't loving stand when people don't source their quotes how am I supposed to know where they come from especially since I'm so retarded I can't use google.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

Robert Mugabe is not an advocate of the rule of law or an independent judiciary. Neither is Vladimir Putin. In his short presidential career, Donald Trump has attacked judges who have upheld legal challenges to his attempt to ban Muslims entering the US. If James Comey’s explosive testimony is to be believed, he has also sought to impede the FBI from conducting an independent investigation. Trump too, it seems, is not a fan.

Trumpishness is increasingly fashionable in Australia’s conservative ranks. In the space of 24 hours former prime minister Tony Abbott and three other senior government ministers have seemingly tried to set fire to a cornerstone of Australian democracy: the rule of law. A veritable “bonfire of sanities” has resulted in the three ministers being hauled before the Victorian supreme court to explain why they should not be charged with contempt of court and has attracted universal condemnation from the legal profession.

The rule of law, a fundamental tenet of democracy, is not popular with unenlightened politicians because it operates as a check on abuses of power. It forms an important part of the doctrine of separation of powers. In 1748, French philosopher Charles de Montesquieu wrote that a nation’s freedom depended on three sources of power – legislative, executive and judicial – with each having their own separate powers. In Australia, the constitution carves out the role of interpreting and applying our laws to an independent judiciary – independent from improper influence of the legislative and executive arms of government.

Independent judges can’t be corrupted by donations, bribes or threats by politicians or any others to toe the line. Independent judges decide cases on their merits, applying laws to the cases presented to them. Politicians, like every other citizen, are not above the law, as Eddie Obeid and Ian Macdonald have recently discovered. Governments, both state and federal, appear routinely before the courts defending claims that they have breached the laws of the land.

Incarcerating and torturing refugees may have been a vote winner for Australian politicians since 2001, but it is another thing altogether when refugees ask that their cruel mistreatment be scrutinised by the courts.

For years, refugees caught up in Australia’s mandatory detention nightmare have sued the federal government seeking compensation for the damage to their health. In late October 2003, I flew to Sydney to launch a negligence case against then immigration minister Philip Ruddock and the federal government. My client was an eight year old Iranian boy whose health had catastrophically collapsed while in detention. His doctor reported that upon examination, the boy presented like “a sad little old man”. The case settled for $400,000 in damages three years later.

There have been many such settlements of similar claims by refugees since then. They have followed a predictable pattern with the commonwealth strongly defending them for years, driving up legal costs, and then settling just before trial. The cases do not proceed to trial because torturing refugees is unlawful and the politicians are desperate that the shroud of secrecy over the conditions in detention is not lifted. If there was transparency about this grim business, mandatory detention may not be so politically popular.

In this context, the announcement of the settlement of a class action for those who have been incarcerated under brutal conditions on Manus Island in Papua New Guinea on Wednesday was entirely predictable. It followed the usual script.

However, on the day the Manus settlement was announced, Tony Abbott unleashed an extraordinary attack on the judges who administer our legal system, stating that: “We’ve got a judiciary that takes the side of the so-called victim rather than the side of common sense.” He inferred that judges were not doing their job properly because of a bias in favour of refugee claims. On one interpretation of Abbott’s statement, Justice Michael McDonald, who was due to hear the class action, was biased.

On the same day, the Australian newspaper published comments by three Turnbull government ministers, all with law degrees, attacking Victorian supreme court judges. The judges are currently hearing an appeal by the commonwealth against a single judge’s sentencing decision in a terrorism case. Assistant to the treasurer Michael Sukkar singled out comments made by the judges in the course of the appeal hearing, decontextualised them and argued that it is “the attitude of judges like these which has eroded any trust that remained in our legal system”.

Eroded any trust in the legal system? The comments were inflammatory, disingenuous and arguably in contempt of court. The judges are not impressed. The supreme court has summoned the three Ministers to appear before it on Friday to try and explain why their attacks should not be referred to prosecutors to consider contempt of court charges. Needless to say, this situation is extremely unusual.

In the words of judicial registrar Ian Irving the “attributed statements appear to intend to bring the Court into disrepute, to assert the judges have and will apply an ideologically based predisposition in deciding the case or cases and that the judges will not apply the law.”

If, as Sukkar suggests, there is no longer any trust in the legal system, why was ACTU Secretary Sally McManus so roundly attacked earlier this year by the federal government for questioning unjust laws and the rule of law? Her comments prompted Malcolm Turnbull to condemn her statements as an example of a “culture of thuggery and lawlessness” in the union movement and the Labor party.

Indeed, for over a century, every time a trade unionist has gone near a picket line, a conservative politician invoking the rule of law has never been far away. Typical of this genre is Tony Abbott on the construction industry. His Facebook page reads: “We need to restore the rule of law in our construction industry. Bring back the ABCC.” When the construction union is being prosecuted in the courts, Abbott wholeheartedly approves of the work of independent judges.

It’s a different matter when the government is defending its conduct before the courts, it seems.

As former chief justice Murray Gleeson has observed:

“It is self-evident that the exercise of [judicial review] will, from time to time, frustrate ambition, curtail power, invalidate legislation, and fetter administrative action […] This is part of our system of checks and balances. People who exercise political power, and claim to represent the will of the people, do not like being checked or balanced.”

In recent times , contentious political issues including the treatment of refugees and the scourge of terrorism have proven a test of the robustness of Australia’s democracy. Politicians seeking to exploit fear, including by criticising decisions of the courts, are able to freely do so. The situation becomes more fraught when they attack individual judges, or move into the sphere where their criticisms look suspiciously like an attempt to influence judges in their deliberations. The three Turnbull government ministers could face being charged with contempt of court for their public comments.

Good article, but I take issue with the bold bit. I'm pretty sure enough information about the concentration camps has leaked out, and people flatly don't give a gently caress. The problem is they don't even see them as human.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Endman posted:

What the gently caress?

How does she reason that one out?

Ah, I see your problem.

She probably thinks the cladding was put up as insulation because she's a loving idiot who rode to journalism on her dad's coattails.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I thought he was up to like twenty.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Personally I'd rather half-wits like Cousens get all the attention. We're better off that the right-wingers in the spotlight are dumb as gently caress. Can you imagine Miranda Devine if she could string together an argument? Someone with the communications skills of Bolt who isn't a screaming pissbaby? Rowan Dean with the rolling in faeces? Makes me shudder.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Jonah Galtberg posted:

don't kinkshame you piece of poo poo

Uh, necrophilia is illegal, idiot. For all I know.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I hope everyone in this thread who posted/quoted that loving article gets a week.

You bastards. You absolute fuckers.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Murder the government.

Not just for this, but for their coal fetish as well.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Aesculus posted:

All of this has happened before and will happen again.

Time is a flat circle

Well that does it, my next vote goes to the Democrats.

Whisper it to me, baby.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
gently caress off, Mayne.

https://twitter.com/MayneReport/status/878925973856542720

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Yes, and I'm not clicking that link because I'm still sick to gently caress of her.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Yes, that is the measure of success in democratic politics, NPR Journalizard.

It really isn't. "We have the balance of power so you need to pass law X if you want us to vote for law Y"

"Heh, you're not in government like we are. :smug:"

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Time for why we have gun laws class *shoots TA in the head*

The only mistake they made is not telling the parents their kids would be taken away from them as well.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Carlton reckons that's defamatory. Here's hoping - be good for a chuckle.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Scarecow posted:

I care when I encounter people on bikes ether very late at night or very early in the morning when I'm on the way to work and they are not far left enough and/or also not wearing clothing that actually reflects my headlights, the only saving grace is a little blinking red light to let me notice they are there or said bike thinking it would be a good idea to make a right hand turn just round a corner with no indication that he was going to do so, I also care that I have to share the road with people who have not had any testing done to prove that they know what road rules apply to them when they take their particular mode of transport on to the roads.

Your not going to win over the majority of people on the roads if your going to keep rocking that attitude

THUH BIKES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Look, I could ride to work no probs but I'm a fat oval office and I take the bus instead. If you're too lazy to ride, just own it, don't come up with these THERE'S SNIPERS THAT ONLY SHOOT BIKE RIDERS scenarioes.

• Locked thread