Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Well it is the second day of June and here is a chat thread. I like chat threads. Do you like discussion threads? If you do you should post in this thread. Usually I would tell you something interesting about myself or about a comic book character I secretly hate and love at the same time (probably Wild Dog) but instead I will get the discussion rolling with this:

I was chatting to my friend last night about various fads going around school when I was growing up the 90's. There were sports cards, pogs, comic book cards etc, and I remember for a short period of time in about 1995 when comic books were actually a fad with kids in my year (so talking about 12 year olds here). It seemed like a short period of time but I remember going to school with a stack of comics and trading them with other kids, discussing who had the biggest guns and sharing back and forth comics. This was very much out in the open and it seemed like a fad just as much as pogs and such. I was wondering if others had this experience growing up and at their school as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
The hot poo poo back in my day was the comic book cards. The ones I always liked was the Marvel ones by the Hildebrandt brothers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My elementary school was briefly but extravagantly invested in Garfield, to the extent that there was an afternoon Garfield Club (where people just hung around in the library drawing Garfield, I guess?) and eventually Garfield books and paraphenalia were banned. After the ban kids would covertly swap Garfield digests behind the gas station half a mile down the road from the school. This was in the mid-90s so as far as I know well after the cartoon ended. Chalk it up to extraordinary delusions and/or the madness of crowds I guess. I remember a friend's very first AOL screenname being Knights_Odie and I assure you there was not a trace of irony involved.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I am reposting this for you June chatters who would also possibly like to pick up a hundred digital TPBs for like ten bucks:

So if you have a Kindle or any tablet with a Kindle app (or even just a Comixology account apparently), Amazon seems to have gone pants-on-head crazy: They're selling hundreds (possibly thousands?) of TPBs at insane prices. And these are both recent and relevant! Secret Wars is $3.40, 1602 is $3.00, and God Loves, Man Kills is $0.80. This is lunacy.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Motor Girl 6 this week was nice but short :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I keep finding things in this Marvel sale I want. Just bought all of Captain Britain and MI6 because moon vampires

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Archyduke posted:

My elementary school was briefly but extravagantly invested in Garfield, to the extent that there was an afternoon Garfield Club (where people just hung around in the library drawing Garfield, I guess?) and eventually Garfield books and paraphenalia were banned. After the ban kids would covertly swap Garfield digests behind the gas station half a mile down the road from the school. This was in the mid-90s so as far as I know well after the cartoon ended. Chalk it up to extraordinary delusions and/or the madness of crowds I guess. I remember a friend's very first AOL screenname being Knights_Odie and I assure you there was not a trace of irony involved.

I want to read a fuckin shonen manga about this

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously the big thing - really overwhelmingly huge - when I was in school was Pokémon. It's wild to think of how big that was for a couple of years (I think between 1997 and 1999). But it was the trading card game that was the biggest thing about it; sure, people watched the cartoon and played the games but the cards were the big draw. Nobody I knew could actually play the game, of course; trading them was the main appeal.

Before that, it was yo-yos. I remember yo-yos being a super popular fad for a while when the Pro-Yo II came out.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Obviously the big thing - really overwhelmingly huge - when I was in school was Pokémon. It's wild to think of how big that was for a couple of years (I think between 1997 and 1999). But it was the trading card game that was the biggest thing about it; sure, people watched the cartoon and played the games but the cards were the big draw. Nobody I knew could actually play the game, of course; trading them was the main appeal.
Oh, that's still a thing. My little cousin has a ton of Pokemon cards that she likes to show me, but when I asked her to teach me to play she had absolutely no idea how.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My nephew is 10 and it's the same way.

They play a weird version that's basically War. Whatever has the highest number attack wins.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember I went to see Pokémon: The First Movie in the cinema and it's really bizarre to think that it must surely be one of the most successful theatrically released anime films outside Japan.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Before that, it was yo-yos. I remember yo-yos being a super popular fad for a while when the Pro-Yo II came out.

Lol are you me? This is my young life.

Pokémon ended up being banned from the Christian school I attended because it was a sinner's devol game that distracted from the glory of worshipping god.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't the faintest clue what the big crazes are with kids nowadays. What is the big thing, anyway?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't the faintest clue what the big crazes are with kids nowadays. What is the big thing, anyway?

fidget spinners

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

CapnAndy posted:

I am reposting this for you June chatters who would also possibly like to pick up a hundred digital TPBs for like ten bucks:

So if you have a Kindle or any tablet with a Kindle app (or even just a Comixology account apparently), Amazon seems to have gone pants-on-head crazy: They're selling hundreds (possibly thousands?) of TPBs at insane prices. And these are both recent and relevant! Secret Wars is $3.40, 1602 is $3.00, and God Loves, Man Kills is $0.80. This is lunacy.

You can get all of Punisher MAX (Ennis and Aaron) for ~$20. This is the best loving deal ever. Most of the other stuff I've found I haven't been super interested in because I have Marvel Unlimited but since they don't do MAX, this is beyond awesome.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

RevKrule posted:

You can get all of Punisher MAX (Ennis and Aaron) for ~$20. This is the best loving deal ever. Most of the other stuff I've found I haven't been super interested in because I have Marvel Unlimited but since they don't do MAX, this is beyond awesome.

Punisher Max and Alias are the two buys for those who get MU.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Change thread title to: The June Moone Chat Saloon

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Magic The Gathering was banned from my middle school because the rules said you could optionally ante a card that the winner gets, so it was gambling.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sports cards are how I learned the joys of capitalism and trading and dealing. You want this athletes card? Fine, I will trade it to you if for 3 cards of these athletes. Clock is ticking. Make up your mind in 5 seconds.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

Punisher Max and Alias are the two buys for those who get MU.

Absolute must buys, yes. A lot of great events should be bought at these prices too because Marvel Unlimited is AWFUL for any kind of crossover.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

fidget spinners

These are so dumb.

Going on a waiting list at a toy shop so that my kid could get one is perhaps the only dumber thing than the fidget spinner itself. (ended up snagging one that someone else reserved and didn't pick up, I was truly a hero dad that evening)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Minecraft but not actually playing it, watching other people do it on Youtube.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

These are so dumb.

Going on a waiting list at a toy shop so that my kid could get one is perhaps the only dumber thing than the fidget spinner itself. (ended up snagging one that someone else reserved and didn't pick up, I was truly a hero dad that evening)

A *wait list*? I was at the mall and there was a kiosk selling nothing but those stupid things. I'm sure you could get one from Amazon in short order, too. Unless there's some specific brand or something.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

A *wait list*? I was at the mall and there was a kiosk selling nothing but those stupid things. I'm sure you could get one from Amazon in short order, too. Unless there's some specific brand or something.

Now definitely. About a month ago though? At least in this city they were impossible to find. Everything on Amazon was 3 weeks shipping from China.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pogs AND Pokemon cards were banned from local schools because of the "gambling" logic. poo poo, we weren't even allowed to play "rear end in a top hat" because it involved playing cards. I suppose it's more logical than the Satan thing, though. Although I tend to find satanists on the whole to be hilarious.

Speaking of satanism, are there any Batman vs satanism stories? If so I assume they're appropriately stupid. I know the Cult's a good'un, and a lot of fiction tends to kind of make the whole satanism thing interchangeable with cult stuff, which is a bit off base. A lot of satanists are basically just hedonists with a flair for the dramatic who think pentagrams and the color black is cool (they're right).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 3, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pogs AND Pokemon cards were banned from local schools because of the "gambling" logic. poo poo, we weren't even allowed to play "rear end in a top hat" because it involved playing cards. I suppose it's more logical than the Satan thing, though. Although I tend to find satanists on the whole to be hilarious.

Speaking of satanism, are there any Batman vs satanism stories? If so I assume they're appropriately stupid. I know the Cult's a good'un, and a lot of fiction tends to kind of make the whole satanism thing interchangeable with cult stuff, which is a bit off base. A lot of satanists are basically just hedonists with a flair for the dramatic who think pentagrams and the color black is cool (they're right).

There was an arc by Moench and Jones in their Batman run where the Joker tries to summon a demon and gets Etrigan. That featured quite a bit of the old Satanaic worship stuff in it.
Also I guess Batman: Gothic by Grant Morrison might fill the criteria.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batman's had a few stories with demonic undertones, check out Batman: Gothic or Dark Knight, Dark City. There's also a single issue story called Sanctum from Legends of the Dark Knight 54, with Mike Mignolia on art.

E: my favorite superheros vs. dumb kids pretending to be cultists is the episodes of JLU where some nerds in black capes accidentally bring Solomon Grundy back to life in their suburban den or whatever.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 3, 2017

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A lot of R'as al Ghul stories have satanist undertones to them. Does that count?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

pubic works project posted:

The hot poo poo back in my day was the comic book cards. The ones I always liked was the Marvel ones by the Hildebrandt brothers.

Yeah, the second series of Marvel trading cards is how I got into Marvel. "Wait, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Hulk, and Ghost Rider once replaced the Fantastic Four? I *have* to read that!"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

purple death ray posted:

Batman's had a few stories with demonic undertones, check out Batman: Gothic or Dark Knight, Dark City. There's also a single issue story called Sanctum from Legends of the Dark Knight 54, with Mike Mignolia on art.

E: my favorite superheros vs. dumb kids pretending to be cultists is the episodes of JLU where some nerds in black capes accidentally bring Solomon Grundy back to life in their suburban den or whatever.

And then there's this:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Batman had to grudgingly convert to christianity and abandon Allah as the one true god.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone tried the Archie unlimited service? What's the back catalog like?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I feel like this Lego Batman movie is way better than it should be

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Has anyone tried the Archie unlimited service? What's the back catalog like?

It's pretty solid, though the app was a little wonky before they moved backend provider.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love how the Fortress of Solitude is depicted in Batman and Superman vs Aliens and Predator

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Calaveron posted:

I feel like this Lego Batman movie is way better than it should be

Wasnt it a delight? :allears:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I fixed my broken clothes dryer all by myself!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

#everydaysuperhero

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Clicked on this link for current art auctions...
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/04/darwyn-cooke-wonder-woman-leads-impressive-original-art-auction-week/
...and found Michael Turner getting higher bids than Darwyn Cooke. Now my day is ruined.

edit: Probably not very tactful to pit two people who tragically died before their time against each other... but c'mon.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

redbackground posted:

Did you just get a new bag of clothes pins? Or was the line slacking too much?

• Locked thread