Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I just re-read Runaways and Y recently and I think they both hold up. Though Yorick makes this reference that's kind of funny now, when he says something like "More Blade Runner than Westworld", referring to the Westworld movie, but anyone reading it now would probably think of the recent Westworld HBO show, and the entire reference doesn't really make sense.

The Saga talk just made me think of Bryan K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Seem Chaykin's new book is still causing headaches for Image. And wow that cover linked near the end of the article is among the most horrible covers I've ever seen.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/30/image-deletes-tweet-asking-fans-shocking-moments-get-backlash-divided-states-hysteria/

Ah, so that's why we've gotten 100 calls looking for it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You should really find another place to work. Your customer base makes your work life sound like a nightmare.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

You should really find another place to work. Your customer base makes your work life sound like a nightmare.

With DCBS closing up their local operations we're getting a whole slew of loving assholes who expect us to bend over and take it from them. It's fun!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I haven't seen any of the comic book television shows and I'm thinking I'll start catching up on them. When I say none I mean literally none, I haven't seen any of these. What's a "best of" list of ones I should check out? Caveat is that I won't be able to binge watch, and could probably only do 1-2 episodes per night. I'm thinking (in order of attractiveness/perceived goodness):
- Spidey Super Stories
- Agents of SHIELD/Agent Carter
- Legion (this is that convinced me start, saw the poster that hearkens back to the great covers on the series)
- Arrow
- Daredevil
- Walking Dead (kinda not feeling this one?)
- Powers (did this even have a resolution, or was it cancelled mid-stream?)
- Jessica Jones/Luke Cage/Iron Fist

Have absolutely no interest in Smallville or The Flash.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'd go with Legion, Daredevil and Jessica Jones. If you can't binge watch it'll take a long time to get caught up on the multi-series network shows.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Scaramouche posted:

I haven't seen any of the comic book television shows and I'm thinking I'll start catching up on them. When I say none I mean literally none, I haven't seen any of these. What's a "best of" list of ones I should check out? Caveat is that I won't be able to binge watch, and could probably only do 1-2 episodes per night. I'm thinking (in order of attractiveness/perceived goodness):
- Spidey Super Stories
- Agents of SHIELD/Agent Carter
- Legion (this is that convinced me start, saw the poster that hearkens back to the great covers on the series)
- Arrow
- Daredevil
- Walking Dead (kinda not feeling this one?)
- Powers (did this even have a resolution, or was it cancelled mid-stream?)
- Jessica Jones/Luke Cage/Iron Fist

Have absolutely no interest in Smallville or The Flash.

Spidey Super Stories all the way. It features iconic Marvel villain The Wall, who was invented by Joss Whedon's dad. You can't go wrong.

Among these, I would say Legion and Daredevil are the prestige shows, which are uniformly good, but also quite a bit of effort to watch. JJ, Luke Cage, and half of DD s2 are good, but not without flaws--those could have benefitted from having a few episodes less, or from having something more meaningful in the middle. I recommend these if you want heavy stuff.

For more comic booky stuff, the CW shows and the Agent shows will be more to your taste.

Agent Carter sounds like it ties in to Agents of SHIELD but it really doesn't; it's standalone and is a fun period piece with fun characters and I'm sad it didn't continue past the second season.

Arrow is the most comicky of the ones you mentioned, for better or worse. It's good for the first two seasons, and the fifth is serviceable. Seasons 3 and 4 take all the worst things from comics, and are really bad. Also, every season has at least one crossover event with the other CW shows including The Flash, so take that as you will.

Personally my top recommendation would actually be Agents of SHIELD, but you said you can't binge, so that's going to be a tough pill to swallow when the first 13-16 episodes of the show are quite bland and boring, and I don't recommend skipping them. It gets real good after that though (in conjunction with the release of The Winter Soldier), and stays good, to varying degrees (most recent season is probably their best season, in fact).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I would say skip Agents of SHIELD entirely, as to my taste it never got above mediocre, and put Supergirl on your list, as it's excellent.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Agents of SHIELD is amazing and my favorite outside of the Netflix Marvels or Legion. Since you can't binge, though, start with Legion. It is a really good show that benefits from only watching one or two episodes at a time. Then I'd probably move to Netflix Marvel stuff and hit up AoS after that. Andy is right, that Supergirl should be on your list. I loved the first season, but the second season doubles down on bullshit CW relationship drama where everyone is a loving idiot and never talks toeach other.

This is actually one of the way AoS excels. It takes those standard relationship beats and says, "Hey, what if an actual emotionally mature adult was in this situation?" A lot of boring tropes get turned on their heads or cranked up to amazingly badass levels. But there are also five seasons on Netflix, so that'll be a few months of watching and the first half of the season is standard Monster of Week stuff, Whedonesque tv fair. But you need that to be blown away at how these stock characters change and grow.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A reminder from earlier this month:

Synthbuttrange posted:

Huh, I guess if you put together all his personal work where there's trans women getting beaten up all the time I guess it doesnt look so good.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/13/chaykin-trans-image-obsession-theme/

Chaykin keeps doing it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CapnAndy posted:

I would say skip Agents of SHIELD entirely, as to my taste it never got above mediocre

Yeah I dropped AoS after season 2 because I thought it never really got good enough to follow actively. Doesn't help that it's not easily available for streaming here either.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I would legit say stick with Legion alone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

They absolutely do have costumes and secret identities

Gilgamesh/Archer, Achilles/Rider, and Cú Chulain/Lancer

This makes me very unhappy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

This makes me very unhappy.

How do you feel about Gilles de Rais/Caster and King Arthur/Saber?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

How do you feel about Gilles de Rais/Caster and King Arthur/Saber?

I'm barfing

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm probably the biggest Chaykin cheerleader on this forum but he's on his own with this bullshit

And Justice League/JLU is the only superhero TV you need.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

purple death ray posted:

I'm probably the biggest Chaykin cheerleader on this forum but he's on his own with this bullshit

And Justice League/JLU is the only superhero TV you need.

I've been watching the 2003 Justice League cartoon and I've been kind of impressed. The theme song is pretty dour and in general the tone seems to be very serious--but then there's these really great moments that show whoever created it really loves the material. Like the beginning of the Gorilla Grodd episode has this hilarious opening where there's some archaeologists digging up a pit and then a mountain shimmers in the background and three gorillas on flying motorcycles cruise up to the guy and say "Humans!" and then speed off back to the shimmering city. And then the other archaeologist pokes her head out of the hole and says "What was that?"--I'm not doing it justice, but it's really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would watch Legion, Jessica Jones, Riverdale, and Preacher.

EDIT: July thread here!!

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 1, 2017

• Locked thread