Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Please tell me the guy who played Harry Osborne in this never acted again

He's one of the stars in Valerian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Calaveron posted:

Ok is it just me or is the CG in ASM2 like super goddamn bad and sticks out like a sore thumb
There is nothing good in ASM2 for it to stick out from, as you have now learned.

Except maybe Paul Giamatti having a really fun fifteen minutes in front of a green screen, I did like him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

haitfais posted:

Dane Dehaan is playing the title role in Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Phew, I'm glad that's a movie I'm never gonna watch but best of luck in his role as the thousand planets

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Please tell me the guy who played Harry Osborne in this never acted again

Don't avoid Cure For Wellness. It's a worse, slower Shutter Island right till the last act, which is amazing.
And nobody else saw it. You'll be in a special club.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Hahahaha what the gently caress is this electro dubstep bullshit

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So shouldn't Gwen's skull just split open at the end there? I mean that went from the original source material whiplash neck snap to whiplash head still cracks against the floor at terminal velocity

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Calaveron posted:

Hahahaha what the gently caress is this electro dubstep bullshit
Has electro started talking to himself via the soundtrack yet? Because that happens and it's stupider than you can imagine

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

CapnAndy posted:

There is nothing good in ASM2 for it to stick out from, as you have now learned.

Except maybe Paul Giamatti having a really fun fifteen minutes in front of a green screen, I did like him.

Paul Giamatti is always good, even in bad things. Especially in bad things, maybe.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Dexie posted:

Random question.

Are their any notable or worthwhile runs of Vampirella that are worth checking out? I saw 'Vampirella meets Kiss' (or something like that) at my LCS today, and it suddenly occurred to me that I've never really heard anyone discuss, well, anything about Vampirella outside of her costume.

Surely with as long as she's been around, she's had a good run or two in there? Or has she always just been a cheesecake character with nothing really worthwhile to speak of?

The Grant Morrison stuff is good. Also Kurt Busiek.

A lot of the older comics despite having the banana hammock costume are cool.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm starting to feel bad I skipped the entire Amazing reboot.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ghostlight posted:

I'm starting to feel bad I skipped the entire Amazing reboot.

I legit enjoyed the first but MAN was the second a teachable lesson in how spinoffs need to be organic, not forced out three deep two films in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lightning Lord posted:

Do you seriously not know what a banana hammock is in reference to?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Please stop saying banana hammock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOROvO2fxTc

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Skwirl posted:

Do you seriously not know what a banana hammock is in reference to?

I do, and it looks like a banana hammock but on an alien vampire woman. She's Borat with a collar, dude.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lightning Lord posted:

:psyduck:

I didn't know Morrison wrote stuff for her either. I'm just learning all sorts of things today, I guess.

redbackground posted:

I promise to write you an effort-post later tonight!

I'm looking forward to it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dexie posted:

I didn't know Morrison wrote stuff for her either. I'm just learning all sorts of things today, I guess.

Turns out "You can do whatever the gently caress you want with this semi-iconic character" is a pretty appealing thing for a lot of comic writers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dexie posted:

I'm looking forward to it!

I feel like Amanda Conner did the art for Morrison or Millar on Vampirella too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

Random question.

Are their any notable or worthwhile runs of Vampirella that are worth checking out? I saw 'Vampirella meets Kiss' (or something like that) at my LCS today, and it suddenly occurred to me that I've never really heard anyone discuss, well, anything about Vampirella outside of her costume.

Surely with as long as she's been around, she's had a good run or two in there? Or has she always just been a cheesecake character with nothing really worthwhile to speak of?

Vampirella has had 3 major publishers over the years: Warren, Harris, and Dynamite. The Warren era was when she was more of a "horror" character, it was all black and white, and she was always dealing with vampires (duh), cults, monsters and other occult poo poo like that. Archie Goodwin was integral in making her as popular as she still is today, and Jose Gonzalas was *the* Vampirella artist of the 70s. His work was detailed, gothic, and gorgeous. There is a Best of the Warren era trade out there if you want to just get a good look at what was going on back then.

I've been prepping a 3-volume Vampirella hardcover set of the Harris comics years (1991-2009) so this is the era I know the most about. Here's a reading map of the entire publication era for reference of the issues mentioned below. The Harris people definitely pushed a Vampirella-as-superhero mentality, and they also kicked up the violence, 90s Bad Girl art stylings, and often placed her in more sci-fi scenarios. Things came back around to more..."grounded" storylines later on, before Dynamite eventually took the character over.

- Sad to say, I've never read the earliest b/w Harris issues written by Busiek (Morning in America). They are very hard to find these days, and can still go for more money than I care to spend. I don't know if they're available digitally, but they are well-regarded if you can get a hold of them.

- "The Dracula War" was the initial launch of Harris going monthly, but it petered out at issue 5. It's Busiek again teamed with Jim Balent on art as she fights um, Dracula and poo poo. It's pretty good, actually!

- Harris tried again with a monthly Vampi comic with Vengeance of Vampirella. It is peak 90s comics, and until Amanda Conner comes on at the very end with #25, the art is nothing to write home about and is often quite ugly (bad 90s coloring + bad 90s art = ehhhh). Lots of fighting blood monsters, fantastic beasts, dudes with guns, that kind of stuff. I would skip it, but the covers are mostly pretty great. She does gain an actual arch-nemesis who ends up playing a huge role in:

- Death and Destruction & Vampirella Lives. These are pretty drat solid. Basically it's the death and rebirth of Vampi, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Warren Ellis writes it, and Amanda Conner is on art. Conner is easily one of my favorite Vampirella artists. If you've seen any of her Power Girl/Harley Quinn artwork, her art on Vampirella fits right in that mold. Blood Lust was a prestige two-part series that fills in some blanks during that period illustrated by Joe Jusko and it is quite stunning.

- Vampirella: The New Monthly kicks off with Morrison/Millar/Conner in charge, and are pretty fun and continue where D&D/VL left off, including bringing back her arch from earlier. They're quite action-y. Whether you would want to keep reading V:TNM after they all leave is up to you, but this is when the space stuff begins and an alternate, non-canon version of Lady Death eventually becomes the Big Bad of the series. What a time! There is a lot of Nazi time travel that may or may not be up your alley.

- Mark Millar and Mike Mayhew relaunched Vampirella's monthly after all that crazyness and it's a very pretty comic when Mayhew is on art duties, which he is until I think #13. Amanda Conner pops back in to do the covers, but the series kind of dies off slowly. The stories are back down to "street level" for the most part.

- Palmiotti and Conner write and draw a fantastic little short story in the Halloween: Trick & Treat one-shot. One of my favorites by far.

- Revelations was pretty solid, and completely self-contained, same with The Second Coming.

- Vampirella is doing some cool stuff with Dynamite now, but her longer runs under that publisher that started around 2010 or so, to me, are just super bluh. The interior art is often terrible, and the stories did nothing for me.

- The only Vampirella that Alan Moore wrote that I know of was a story in a 3-part Vampi/Dracula anthology one-shot called The Centennial. Worth checking out, as Ellis wrote one of the other stories, and Moore was teamed up with Gary Frank.

- There is a Dynamite "Li'l Vampi" one-shot that is adorable.

- I am a terrible monster, but I really liked Aliens/Vampirella, sue me.

Hopefully this has been of a modicum of use!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 9, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Don't feel bad I honestly have enjoyed every single weird out of left field (character) vs. Aliens/Predator crossover I have read.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lightning Lord posted:

Oooh, Kurt Busiek.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

END ME SCOOB posted:

I legit enjoyed the first but MAN was the second a teachable lesson in how spinoffs need to be organic, not forced out three deep two films in.

The Mummy's a teachable lesson one film in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

The Mummy's a teachable lesson one film in.

Not good, huh? How badly will it have to do for them to abort their big "Dark Universe" plan before it can even get off the ground? I imagine they've got quite a lot invested in it already.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine they've got quite a lot invested in it already.

You've already answered your question. Look forward to Tom Cruise Meets Wolfman!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
By a lot of sounds of things everyone but Universal is going "stop now, please" in response to a) the reviews and b) the five sequel/spinoffs they've already announced

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Weren't both Dracula Untold and I, Frankenstein attempts to create a Universal Monsters cinematic universe?

They've tried this three times now, I think at this point they've decided to just do it no matter what

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

To be fair, "no we're doing a universe and we don't care if the universe sucks and the movies are terrible because we're doing this, gently caress you, bet you'll go see it opening weekend anyway" got us a good movie from DC. On their fourth try, but still!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's too bad, because I like all those Universal Monsters characters and would love to see them all having adventures together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's too bad, because I like all those Universal Monsters characters and would love to see them all having adventures together.

Play Castlevania.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Have you ever heard of this good thing called Penny Dreadful?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Play Castlevania.

Played one game years ago that I think was on PSP. I don't own any consoles nowadays, though. Is it on Steam?

Samuringa posted:

Have you ever heard of this good thing called Penny Dreadful?

I liked Penny Dreadful a lot but kinda sorta resent it because apparently we were on the verge of getting an Anno Dracula adaptation for the tv which ended up not being progressed any further when Penny Dreadful was announced.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think it could be super fun if they were making new movies in the style of the originals. If not black and white, at least something like Sleepy Hollow.

Edit: Of course they'd need to just be happy aiming for middling art films rather than blockbusters, but I'd be into that:)

Edit 2: Now I need to go rewatch Copolla's Dracula.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 9, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

They need to aim for the 1999 version. There's nothing wrong with pulp heroes and bright colors, goddammit. Especially when you're asking us to accept monsters so classic they're cliches.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think it could be super fun if they were making new movies in the style of the originals. If not black and white, at least something like Sleepy Hollow.

Edit: Of course they'd need to just be happy aiming for middling art films rather than blockbusters, but I'd be into that:)

Edit 2: Now I need to go rewatch Copolla's Dracula.

Anthony Hopkins was the best Van Helsing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, something more along the lines of Indiana Jones or the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies would be fun, or the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movies.

(Guy Ritchie should remake The Assassination Bureau though I'm not sure who the 2017 version of Oliver Reed would be - would no doubt end u with, say, Tom Hiddleston as Dragomiloff, which might be quite good.)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The idea of monsters and monster hunters is so effortlessly cool and yet there are almost no good movies about it, somehow

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

purple death ray posted:

The idea of monsters and monster hunters is so effortlessly cool and yet there are almost no good movies about it, somehow

I refuse to not be optimistic about the Monster Hunter movie.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Okay, wow. So she does have good stuff, then.

I'm going to check some of this out. Thanks!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

purple death ray posted:

I enjoyed Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, something more along the lines of Indiana Jones or the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies would be fun, or the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movies.

(Guy Ritchie should remake The Assassination Bureau though I'm not sure who the 2017 version of Oliver Reed would be - would no doubt end u with, say, Tom Hiddleston as Dragomiloff, which might be quite good.)

I would have loved a late 90s/early 00's Brenden Fraiser led franchise of him fighting each Universal Monster after The first Mummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Mr Hootington posted:

I would have loved a late 90s/early 00's Brenden Fraiser led franchise of him fighting each Universal Monster after The first Mummy.

That would have been great.

Who's the modern version of Abbott and Costello? Key and Peele?

• Locked thread