Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't cook a lot. Most nights I'm chilling with a Stouffer's French Bread Pizza and some kind of microwavable frozen vegetable, but I'm looking to branch out. The problem is every recipe I look at needs like 20 ingredients that I know I'm never going to use in anything else, and like 10 steps that require me to do 5 things at once. I'm looking for some ideas for easy, preferably cheap recipes, that only need a few things, like 5 max. I'm counting on you guys! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
https://mobile.twitter.com/foodnetwerk/status/188351893200846848?lang=en

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
take bread, dump a little oil on it then wipe the floor with the oiled-up bread. Afterwards, you can slip on the floor and hopefully break your neck you piece of poo poo

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

put some chicken nuggets in your facehole and chew on em, you piece of poo poo

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

wow

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Buy a 5 lbs chuck roast, put it in a slow cooker, pour a jar of pepperoncinis on top. cook for 8-10 hours. Eat killer sandwiches for days.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q84nfWkLsYU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Red lentils.
Some sausage, like 250-300g, whatever. Make it a spicy sort.
Half an onion.
Water.
Salt, paprika powder, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, and chicken bouillon.
Frozen chopped spinach.

Put some butter in a pot at medium heat. Experiment how you want the sausage - you can cut it into slices, though I prefer to hold it over the pot and squeeze it into an unrecognizable mess. Put the sausage in and keep it there for a couple of minutes until it looks vaguely edible. Look up a video on how to chop an onion into something that doesn't look like poo poo, proceed to mess up and chop the onion into something that does look like poo poo, and put it in the pot with the sausage. Keep it there for a couple of minutes until it's see-through. Stir a couple of times during this whole process so you cook it somewhat evenly (you can also add carrots or something here, whatever)

Put in 350~ grams of red lentils, then immediately add about a liter of water, maybe less depending on how soup-y you want this thing to be. Crank up the heat to max, and while it starts to boil, add in all the spices and mix it all around. Once it starts to boil, bring the heat down to low, put a lid on the pot, and go watch an anime. Every now and then you should check in on it, stir about a little. After 45~ish minutes, add the frozen spinach, then 15 minutes more and there you go. Once you've gotten the hang of things and want to experiment, try adding some more spices, like curry or something. I've put peanut butter in this thing. Cheese, too. Or you can add other frozen vegetables along with the spinach if you're some kinda vegan.

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 2, 2017

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

Buy a 5 lbs chuck roast, put it in a slow cooker, pour a jar of pepperoncinis on top. cook for 8-10 hours. Eat killer sandwiches for days.

This is the kind of action I'm looking for, will look into slow cooker procurement.

Terper posted:

Red lentils.
Some sausage, like 250-300g, whatever. Make it a spicy sort.
Half an onion.
Water.
Salt, paprika powder, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, and chicken bouillon.
Frozen chopped spinach.

Nice try but putting like eight things on one line doesn't turn them into one thing.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Buy a pork loin and a package of liptons onion soup dust. Put the pork loin in a crock pot and fill it with water till the porkloin is half submerged. Take the lipton onion soup dust and pour it on the loin. Salt and pepper it to your liking. Seal the crockpot and put it on high. Leave it alone for eight hours. Voila! You now have a pork loin to eat.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chicken Peanut Curry

1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
1 cup chunky/crunchy peanut butter
1 small sweet onion, minced
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbs curry powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Olive oil
Rice

Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Sautee the onion and garlic until browned with olive oil. Then stir in flour, curry powder, and pepper. Keep stirring until it's a firm paste. Whisk paste into boiling broth and mix until combined. Lower temp to medium-low.

Cut the chicken breast into small pieces, then sautee the chicken in olive oil. Use salt and pepper as desired. Once cooked, set aside.

Once the broth is cooled enough, whisk one more time and slowly add in the coconut milk and peanut butter. Whisk until blended and put heat back on medium-high. Add in cooked chicken. Let it simmer until it thickens enough to desired texture.

Serve over jasmine rice (preferred) with some crushed peanuts or cashews on top.

(originally a GBSFood recipe that I altered)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cantaloupe posted:

Nice try but putting like eight things on one line doesn't turn them into one thing.

Spice is what turns food into food, honestly if you want to start cooking things the first thing you need to do is buy every spice, ever

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

crosspost from the soup thread

numberoneposter posted:

bachelors gazpacho

aka campbells tomato soup drank right from the tin

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Chicken Peanut Curry

1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
1 cup chunky/crunchy peanut butter
1 small sweet onion, minced
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbs curry powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Olive oil
Rice

Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Sautee the onion and garlic until browned with olive oil. Then stir in flour, curry powder, and pepper. Keep stirring until it's a firm paste. Whisk paste into boiling broth and mix until combined. Lower temp to medium-low.

Cut the chicken breast into small pieces, then sautee the chicken in olive oil. Use salt and pepper as desired. Once cooked, set aside.

Once the broth is cooled enough, whisk one more time and slowly add in the coconut milk and peanut butter. Whisk until blended and put heat back on medium-high. Add in cooked chicken. Let it simmer until it thickens enough to desired texture.

Serve over jasmine rice (preferred) with some crushed peanuts or cashews on top.

(originally a GBSFood recipe that I altered)

Pretty lengthy ingredient list there, but I do like peanut butter... I'll make an exception.

Terper posted:

Spice is what turns food into food, honestly if you want to start cooking things the first thing you need to do is buy every spice, ever

How about we start with maybe, one spice.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

crosspost from the soup thread

:eyepop:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

uber_stoat posted:

add some vodka and you've got a party goin on!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cantaloupe posted:

Pretty lengthy ingredient list there, but I do like peanut butter... I'll make an exception.

I meant to note that it takes 30 minutes tops to make. I made it all the time when I was in college because it was cheap and quick.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
1. Watch every episode of the show "good eats."

2. See your kitchen like Neo sees the matrix.

3. Do not try and cook the food. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

There is no food.

Then you'll see, that it is not the food that cooks. It is only yourself.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cantaloupe posted:

How about we start with maybe, one spice.

Alright

Red lentils
Salt

Put some red lentils in a pot and add water. Add salt. Cook until it you can eat it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fry some meat and steam some vegetables, OP

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

ScratchAndSniff posted:

1. Watch every episode of the show "good eats."

2. See your kitchen like Neo sees the matrix.

3. Do not try and cook the food. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

There is no food.

Then you'll see, that it is not the food that cooks. It is only yourself.

That's a good number of steps but

1. What is the name of the dish

2. What are the ingredients

Terper posted:

Alright

Red lentils
Salt

Put some red lentils in a pot and add water. Add salt. Cook until it you can eat it.

I'm not a child. You could add two, even three more ingredients and another step and I could still make it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Take this thread and put it in the gas chamber.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Over There posted:

Take this thread and put it in the gas chamber.
take this post and put it in a sack, mister!!!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have some clam chowder! :backtowork:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

numberoneposter posted:

take this post and put it in a sack, mister!!!

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Have some clam chowder! :backtowork:

Nice AV combo

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42oUVwyFsZI

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Stir fry, OP.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

-meat
-salt
-pepper
-heat

DONE

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Open can of Chef Boyardee and eat.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Smythe posted:

Stir fry OP.

Hmmmm, long pork recipe

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Terper posted:

hey, when i was growing up we had salt, pepper, and a cabinet full of alum and we did just fine.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Kale salad and a potato, OP.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Choose a couple veggies, a protein, some stock, and a box o' pasta (some kind of macaroni e.g. rotini, penne).

cut down protein into non-ridiculous sized chunks, sear em'. Throw in veggies and cook for a minute or two.

add a couple of cups of stock to the pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape all the brown stuff out of the bottom of the pan.

Add some herbs if you're feeling super fancy.

Add half the pasta, turn the burner to high and stir with a spatula for the cooking time listed on the box. (The stock will reduce to a sauce)

Grate some cheese to garnish.

Repeat all the time with any freaking veg and protein.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Get bread, get cheese.

Put bread under grill in oven till toasted, flip bread, put cheese on bread, put back under grill till cheese melted and bubbling; bread should be a little darker than the previous side.

Eat.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

just eat the sandwich ingredients individually and unassembled

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
OP sounds like the type of person that should drink soylent.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

numberoneposter posted:

just eat the sandwich ingredients individually and unassembled

Or make the sandwich, and then take it apart and arrange it on a square plate. :burger:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Risotto is really easy to make, you're just boiling rice in whatever you want it to taste like. Here's the basic chicken alfredo flavored kind I make:

Sauté a couple cups of rice in butter, arborio is the best grain of rice for it but it's on the expensive side

For every cup of rice, add a cup of milk and a cup of chicken broth to a pot

Add the buttery rice, some garlic powder, some powdered parmesan and some basil

Boil it down until the liquid turns into a thick sauce

If the rice is still too raw, add more liquid

Alternatively, throw all that poo poo in an Instant Pot, it takes about ten minutes on the rice setting to make risotto

The classic.

big nipples big life posted:

Pickled pepperoncini makes amazing sandwiches. Right before Thanksgiving I like to grab some hoagie rolls and a jar of pepperoncini, then spend the next few days reheating the turkey and gravy with them and some mozzarella for some of the best meals I have all year.

It's great to slice up on pizza too.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
1. peaches
2. watermelon
3. sugar
4. yeast

combine and leave somewhere for three days then drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
premade curry powder to taste. use quite a lot
cans of chick peas (for a few nights eating make it at least 3)
chicken drumsticks
1 can coconut milk to 2 cans chick peas
1 can of crushed tomatoes per 2 coconut milks
1 big onion to each can chick peas
chicken stock cubes
cook for about 45 mins in a big pot on a low heat
make rice and eat with it

• Locked thread