Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I'm sure the fine people of this sub-forum are readers. While I'm sure much of what you degenerates read is crummy sci-fi you foraged out of the garbage none the less inquiring minds want to know, what are you currently reading? I personally am reading the copy of You Can't Win that finally arrived at my doorstep yesterday. It's got a great cover and there are extra writings of the author included in this printing that were previously unavailable. Here is a photo of said book, for your enjoyment.

So, GBS, share with me the books you are reading.

Jim Barris fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
War and Peace by Tolstoi but secretly hoping to reread Hitchhiker's Guide.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

War and Peace by Tolstoi but secretly hoping to reread Hitchhiker's Guide.
There's nothing shameful about liking Douglas Adams.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
I'm reading what I'm writing

mystery fluid
Feb 12, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
The subtle art of not giving a gently caress. It's not working. I have too many fucks to give

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

unpleasantly turgid posted:

Well? What are you writing, then?

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

unpleasantly turgid posted:

lol are you one of those guys who brings a typewriter to the coffee shop too?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAN U FEEL IT YEAH posted:

lol are you one of those guys who brings a typewriter to the coffee shop too?

It's steam powered, gotta jack in to the espresso machine. Jeez. :shrug:

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It's steam powered, gotta jack in to the espresso machine. Jeez. :shrug:

so i guess you gotta wear goggles too huh

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I just finished Astrophysics for People in a Hurry and I'm moving onto this book:

my mom, on the other hand, is crazy about books:

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

I just finished Astrophysics for People in a Hurry and I'm moving onto this book:

That other guy said this book did not help him give less of a gently caress? How is your fucks situation after reading it?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

That other guy said this book did not help him give less of a gently caress? How is your fucks situation after reading it?

I haven't even started it yet, I have a few fucks so hopefully this book will help me not give them.

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://imgur.com/a/xMuNc

The Story of Civilization by Will Durant. 12 volumes, picked it up for 200 bucks on Amazon :cool:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm... I'm reading this thread.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'm... I'm reading this thread.

Hell, same

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Ah, that's a good book. I read The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with The Sea a few months ago, it's probably my favorite of his. That's a really nice edition, too.

Jim Barris fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 2, 2017

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAN U FEEL IT YEAH posted:

so i guess you gotta wear goggles too huh

Yeah I gotta wear cobalt lenses because my poo poo is so brilliant. :smuggo:

The_end
May 17, 2014
Harry Potter and Dragon Ball Z fan fiction.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
catching up on my favorite thread

this one.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Down and Out in Paris and London by Orwell. It's a lot better than the other two by him everyone is forced to read.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Book 7 or so of the Wool series. Thanks for asking, op.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
The Invention of Nature. It's about Alexander von Humboldt. He was a pretty badass dude

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I'm a couple chapters into Godel Escher Bach and it feels like I'm reading a textbook. I kind of appreciate the author writing in the twentith-year anniversary preface, "Hey, everyone that talks to me is getting the point of the book wrong. Let me explicitly tell you what is about" because I sure as hell wasn't going to get it.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

staplegun posted:

I'm a couple chapters into Godel Escher Bach and it feels like I'm reading a textbook. I kind of appreciate the author writing in the twentith-year anniversary preface, "Hey, everyone that talks to me is getting the point of the book wrong. Let me explicitly tell you what is about" because I sure as hell wasn't going to get it.

I'm reading this now and skipped the preface and introduction and started at Chapter 1. The math stuff is going over my head. Is it worth going back to read the preface?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my kampf

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.
Borne by Jeff VanderMeer

cool hah whats it about

B. Birdsworth fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 3, 2017

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

B. Birdsworth posted:

Bourne by Jeff VanderMeer

cool hah what's it about

i think its like a portrait of the artist as a young man, by james joyce. i havent started reading it yet. flicking thru the pages it loks like theres a lot of jewish characters. i think it might be set in jerusalem. which sounds interesting.

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Jim Barris posted:

Ah, that's a good book. I read The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with The Sea a few months ago, it's probably my favorite of his. That's a really nice edition, too.

both The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea and Kafka On The Shore feature brutal kitty muder. what do the Japanese have against kitties OP?

I'm halfway through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, I like it so far

Vakal
May 11, 2008
World War Z by Max Brooks.

The first half is pretty good, though I chalk that up more to being a fairly accurate breakdown of society more so than actual zombies.

Near the end though it starts to get kind of silly with stuff like a blind Japanese man ninja'ing his way through zombies.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I haven't read and finished a book in about 4 or 5 years OP reading is for squares

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Reading The Illuminatus!. I don't know what's happening.
:tinfoil:

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

ProSlayer posted:

I'm reading this now and skipped the preface and introduction and started at Chapter 1. The math stuff is going over my head. Is it worth going back to read the preface?

The preface you can skip since a lot of it is just retrospective on the book or information of how it was written, but the introduction absolutely. It doesn't actually help or anything with the math introduced (and is probably worse since number theory is terrifying) but it introduces the title characters well enough. I could appreciate Bach's bit since I have some experience with music theory, but the specifics of Russel's Principia Mathematica/Godel's Incompleteness Theorm was pretty impenetrable for me. I'm not good at math stuff by any means, so I'm just picking up what I can as I go.

Incidentally, I didn't have a lot of problems getting through chapter 1 but that might just be because I have some programming knowledge and the problem posed is just about manipulating strings (with caveats).

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

staplegun posted:

you should read the freedom of the will by jr lucas

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I just finished The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm reading GBS. But not this thread specifically. So if someone already made that joke, my bad.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Hustler june 1987

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

Hustler june 1987

Hairy vaginas are not ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The Devil in the white city. It's pretty good. Except for the whole serial killing thing.

• Locked thread