Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grevling posted:

I'm reading a book on ancient greek religious practice and one about body building.

what are they saying about the practice. in greek, praxis. probably. menstrual blood at what psi are we talking about. name the targets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm reading Art Sex Music by Cosey Fanni Tutti, her autobiography of her career as an artist & musican in COUM, Throbbing Gristle, Chris and Cosey, etc

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

phallocentriloquist posted:

Length of story is not correlative to effort or quality:

Tell that to the people who won't buy my Spock/McCoy erotic flash fiction.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jim Barris posted:

that's a first edition, isn't it. Must of set ya back a couple bucks. I've never had the pleasure of reading it.

I don't think it's a first edition. At the time it was the only copy I could find. It's an ex library book.

While I don't know your taste I'd still recommend reading it. And without giving anything away, the behaviour of the protagonist at the end made me think 'Goon'.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
A Canticle for Leibowitz

It's a good book, sorta like someone wrote fallout fanfiction in the 60s. But like it's so well written.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm on my 16th or 17th (I can't remember any more that's just a guess, I know I'm getting close to 20 though) reread of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I just got to the part with the Harry Potter sneetches and lightsabers.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Orkin Mang posted:

what are they saying about the practice. in greek, praxis. probably. menstrual blood at what psi are we talking about. name the targets

The Greeks worshipped at sanctuaries, which were usually just open spaces with a surrounding wall and an altar. A tall altar if for a god who lived above ground or sometimes a hole in the ground for a god who lived below ground (they could pour wine or other offerings down the hole.) A priest would be charged with taking care of this sanctuary, but being a priest was more of a part time thing than what we're used to and they'd usually have normal occupations. Male priests for male gods, female priests for goddesses. People would pray or sacrifice at the sanctuary.

Women were prohibited from entering a sanctuary if they were menstruating as they were ritually unclean. Same for anyone who'd had sex or been around a dead body recently.

Sometimes people would pledge offerings to a god, like a votive statue for example. These gifts would then be housed in the sanctuary. Sometimes larger sanctuaries would have a temple to house all these treasures. A few also had a statue of the god, but that wasn't actually as common as we might now think. A few did have famous statues, like Athena Polias at the Parthenon. That's some of the things, I hope you found it interesting.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Jestery posted:

A Canticle for Leibowitz

It's a good book, sorta like someone wrote fallout fanfiction in the 60s. But like it's so well written.

It gets a bit weird by the end, if I remember correctly. Mutant future jesus?

Some of the really old science fiction is mind blowing, like the stuff from 1890s-1900s. The Machine Stops is just woah.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grevling posted:

The Greeks worshipped at sanctuaries, which were usually just open spaces with a surrounding wall and an altar. A tall altar if for a god who lived above ground or sometimes a hole in the ground for a god who lived below ground (they could pour wine or other offerings down the hole.) A priest would be charged with taking care of this sanctuary, but being a priest was more of a part time thing than what we're used to and they'd usually have normal occupations. Male priests for male gods, female priests for goddesses. People would pray or sacrifice at the sanctuary.

Women were prohibited from entering a sanctuary if they were menstruating as they were ritually unclean. Same for anyone who'd had sex or been around a dead body recently.

Sometimes people would pledge offerings to a god, like a votive statue for example. These gifts would then be housed in the sanctuary. Sometimes larger sanctuaries would have a temple to house all these treasures. A few also had a statue of the god, but that wasn't actually as common as we might now think. A few did have famous statues, like Athena Polias at the Parthenon. That's some of the things, I hope you found it interesting.

i unironically did.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Grevling posted:

cool

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

whats the most profound work of literature or philosophy youve ever read, smythe?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Grevling posted:

All of this is correct and just, they really had stuff figured out back then

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Grevling posted:

Did greeks have the practice of worshiping house gods, or was it just something Romans came up by themselves?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Orkin Mang what do you think of William S. Burroughs?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Orkin Mang posted:

whats the most profound work of literature or philosophy youve ever read, smythe?

ur post history

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

I dunno, it was pretty important to the protagonist. I feel like Iain Banks first came up with the idea of an overcomplicated game reflecting the society at a fundamental level, and then actually tacked on the story with the whole blackmail plot. Gurgeh wasn't a particularly interesting character, but the underlying concept was pretty cool.

gurgeh was just one of the many factors the minds put in play to deal with an aggressive, expansionary species. he surpassed his own limits and reached a transcendental level of skill at that game, but it was just a game and the minds didn't really care either way. the plan would have continued whether gurgeh won, lost or died in an unfortunate alien sex club mishap.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

Orkin Mang what do you think of William S. Burroughs?

havent read him except maybe a bit at uni. 'the greatest minds of my generation' etc etc comes to mind. i dont know much about the beat poets.im an ignorant man. the profoundest and most artistically acomplished modernist was hopkins, writing before all the fags. i wrote my thesis on heraclitean fire. but thats my taste. read the aphorisms of heraclitus,then parmenides short crazy poem. if u like twin peaks ull like parmenides poem about night and day or w/e, the title escapes me

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

ur post history

i cant do anything with this. reported

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

havent read him except maybe a bit at uni. 'the greatest minds of my generation' etc etc comes to mind. i dont know much about the beat poets.im an ignorant man. the profoundest and most artistically acomplished modernist was hopkins, writing before all the fags. i wrote my thesis on heraclitean fire. but thats my taste.
Burroughs is something else entirely he often gets roped into that label of beat because of his personal association and buggering of Allen Ginsberg and co but I think his artistic voice is of a completely different nature.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

Burroughs is something else entirely he often gets roped into that label of beat because of his personal association and buggering of Allen Ginsberg and co but I think his artistic voice is of a completely different nature.

i see. ill rent his stuff from the library then. i like traditionalists and inasne nihilists. the middle ground bores me.its parasitic on the extremes. theres a short story by nabokov clled lance, and he describes the pluggin in of a lightbulb when the power is still running, and the bulb lights up as if u a dragon hatched in ur hand such is the astonishment. he was on pooint

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Gai-Jin. It's much less entertaining than Shogun and Tai-Pan.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Colonel Cancer posted:

Did greeks have the practice of worshiping house gods, or was it just something Romans came up by themselves?

Not from what I've been able to find out. It seems that for the Greeks religion was even more of a communal thing than for the Romans. According to the book if you counted all Greek greater or lesses deities they would be in the thousands, and each city state and village likely had their own customs. The book does say that the Greeks had gods of the home and it was the family patriarch's responsibility to worship them.
In Athens a household would typically keep three gods: Zeus Ktesios (of property), Zeus Herkeios (of the fence) inside the house, and Hermes Agyeus (of the street) or Heracles by the entrance protecting it.

The family patriarch would probably offer small offerings or prayers to all these gods every day and give them special attention on certain days of the year, and he was also charged with tending the ancestral tombs, which were typically located along the road leading to his town or village.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Grevling posted:

Not from what I've been able to find out. It seems that for the Greeks religion was even more of a communal thing than for the Romans. According to the book if you counted all Greek greater or lesses deities they would be in the thousands, and each city state and village likely had their own customs. The book does say that the Greeks had gods of the home and it was the family patriarch's responsibility to worship them.
In Athens a household would typically keep three gods: Zeus Ktesios (of property), Zeus Herkeios (of the fence) inside the house, and Hermes Agyeus (of the street) or Heracles by the entrance protecting it.

The family patriarch would probably offer small offerings or prayers to all these gods every day and give them special attention on certain days of the year, and he was also charged with tending the ancestral tombs, which were typically located along the road leading to his town or village.

Neat. I've always been fascinated with the concept of house gods and how, in a way, it continued on in folklore after the western pagan religions died out. Domovois, brownies, faeries and these types of house spirits just seem like a natural continuation of it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The Scarlet Gospels, by Clive Barker.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Broken Angels, the sequel to Altered Carbon. Before that I recently finished The Quantum Thief, John C. Wright's The Golden Age Trilogy and all of Iain M. Banks's Culture series. (Surface Detail was my favorite).

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The Scarlet Gospels, by Clive Barker.

clive barkers undying was the only game that scared me as a lad. cool game

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
watch angel heart with mickey rourke u bitches!!!!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Orkin Mang posted:

clive barkers undying was the only game that scared me as a lad. cool game

Undying owned so hard :cool:

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
How do you guys read books when there is the internet and video games. Are you trapped in a bunker somewhere? Should I call someone?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
mind and cosmos by thomas nagel

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Undying owned so hard :cool:

yeah but nowadays its all gulf war agitprop.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Space Taxi posted:

How do you guys read books when there is the internet and video games. Are you trapped in a bunker somewhere? Should I call someone?

Books are great. You aren't just consuming something tailored to your exact search. They take you places you wouldn't otherwise see.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Colonel Cancer posted:

Neat. I've always been fascinated with the concept of house gods and how, in a way, it continued on in folklore after the western pagan religions died out. Domovois, brownies, faeries and these types of house spirits just seem like a natural continuation of it.

I agree! Some people still leave a bowl of porridge out at Christmas in Scandinavia. It's for the nisse/tomtegubbe who's thought of as a small bearded man who protects the farm (or wrecks it if you piss him off) but may be a remnant of an ancestral cult where the little man might have represented the spirits of the ancestors who were buried close to the farm.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

i see. ill rent his stuff from the library then. i like traditionalists and inasne nihilists. the middle ground bores me.its parasitic on the extremes. theres a short story by nabokov clled lance, and he describes the pluggin in of a lightbulb when the power is still running, and the bulb lights up as if u a dragon hatched in ur hand such is the astonishment. he was on pooint
Well, enjoy the many varied descriptions of semen. I know I did.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Orkin Mang posted:

yeah but nowadays its all gulf war agitprop.

Fire up the old games again, why not.

Soma is a good modern game I like.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 3, 2017

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Orkin Mang posted:

mind and cosmos by thomas nagel

Doesn't Nagel pretty much argue that consciousness is magic?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

Doesn't Nagel pretty much argue that consciousness is magic?

no, wtf. he argues that its ontologically basic, if i remember right. unless ur definition mof magic is everything that isnt churchland eliminativist materialism.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Orkin Mang posted:

no, wtf. he argues that its ontologically basic,

So he's pretty much a panpsychist? Not good.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

So he's pretty much a panpsychist? Not good.

why not. panpsychism is infinitely more rational than materialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm on my 16th or 17th (I can't remember any more that's just a guess, I know I'm getting close to 20 though) reread of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I just got to the part with the Harry Potter sneetches and lightsabers.

I just read the first two for the first time. I liked them alright, though the second gets pretty goofy at times. That Detta character sure was... something, eh? Thanks for the schizophrenic, crippled lady masturbation scenes, Steve!

I was gonna start the third, but decided to read The Long Walk instead. Just finished it tonight. Good stuff.

• Locked thread