Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vastarien posted:

I just read the first two for the first time. I liked them alright, though the second gets pretty goofy at times. That Detta character sure was... something, eh? Thanks for the schizophrenic, crippled lady masturbation scenes, Steve!

I was gonna start the third, but decided to read The Long Walk instead. Just finished it tonight. Good stuff.

you should read fat by raymond carver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"there is no choice."

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if u can parse fat by raymond carver u can read literature as a man caouldnadt

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Vastarien posted:

I just read the first two for the first time. I liked them alright, though the second gets pretty goofy at times. That Detta character sure was... something, eh? Thanks for the schizophrenic, crippled lady masturbation scenes, Steve!

I was gonna start the third, but decided to read The Long Walk instead. Just finished it tonight. Good stuff.

Long Walk is great, especially considering how young he was when he wrote it. Definitely one of his best.

You will get varying answers depending on who you ask, but the 3rd and 4th book are pretty much the peak of Dark Tower. The third is my personal favorite and the fourth is not far behind. The 5th drops a bit in quality and the 6th is the worst one (but still worth reading), and the last one picks up again and is probably on par with book 2, but with some extremely goofy/disappointing parts. I think you'll enjoy the next couple, and despite the negative things I and many others say about the next 3 they are still fun to read.

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Orkin Mang posted:

the cadence of this post is atrocious. theres no rhythm at all. im reading atlas shrugged at the moment. i dont agree with the message, but its like ulysses, where the prose is exquisite but the story is only of secondary interest.

So many people can't get past the philosophy, but yeah, Atlas Shrugged is incredibly written; it's like an old propaganda poster come to life.

e: I'm reading Sapiens right now, which started out as an interesting look at how humans developed but is now threatening to become a poorly thought out theory on what went wrong and why we're all unhappy. Hopefully it's just this couple of chapters.

crusty fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 3, 2017

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tea leaves, they're saying the forums are dead, gay...hmm

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Jim Barris posted:

I'm sure the fine people of this sub-forum are readers. While I'm sure much of what you degenerates read is crummy sci-fi you foraged out of the garbage none the less inquiring minds want to know, what are you currently reading? I personally am reading the copy of You Can't Win that finally arrived at my doorstep yesterday. It's got a great cover and there are extra writings of the author included in this printing that were previously unavailable. Here is a photo of said book, for your enjoyment.

So, GBS, share with me the books you are reading.

That is one of my favorite books of all time! I just dug out my copy so I can re-read it some day soon.

What extra writings does that version have? Mine includes an article he wrote called "What's Wrong With the Right People?" but I'd be curious to read anything else Jack Black wrote before he disappeared.

Here are some other books I've read/ been reading over the last month or two:

John Muir was a lunatic, but in a good way.

This is a story/ memoir about punk rock gangs in the early 80's. It is fascinating, and I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended.

Speaking of punk rock, these two are quick reads and I enjoyed them both:

This is a ridiculous evangelical Christian book from the mid-80's warning parents that Satan uses He-Man toys and Care Bears to lure their children to Hell. Good stuff.

A truly brutal book about a prison takeover in New Mexico.

This is a series of personal stories from the co-creator of the TV show "Get a Life!" It is hilarious, and I laughed until the point of tears at least twice.

I recently added this to my collection of books about 70's custom van culture:

I was ecstatic when I found this a couple of weeks ago. It's a novel by the late Lavoy Finicum (aka - Tarpman), and he signed it before he went out in a blaze of stupidity!

I'm also pleased with this recent score, which I picked up from a (the only?) surviving member of the Heaven's Gate cult:

These are queued up to be read as soon as I get a chance:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd read all those and start with the 70's van culture book. Nice haul.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I would dig right the gently caress into that Heaven's Gate book, I wonder if its worth any money?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions
Much more interesting than the title probably makes it sound.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hardware tech goons could also do far worse then inside the machine.

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
The Koran. It is such an inspirational read.

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius made me a man

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Up next for me is The Private Life of Chairman Mao, by Dr. Li Zhisui. This one should prove interesting.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Wolf Hall. I thought a Booker Prize winner would be more high-falutin', but it's just a well done bit of historical fiction.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Orkin Mang posted:

you should read fat by raymond carver

I read it and uh... I don't get it. I generally like fat guy stories, though. George R.R. Martin's The Monkey Treatment and The Pear-Shaped Man are my favorite fat guy stories.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Long Walk is great, especially considering how young he was when he wrote it. Definitely one of his best.

You will get varying answers depending on who you ask, but the 3rd and 4th book are pretty much the peak of Dark Tower. The third is my personal favorite and the fourth is not far behind. The 5th drops a bit in quality and the 6th is the worst one (but still worth reading), and the last one picks up again and is probably on par with book 2, but with some extremely goofy/disappointing parts. I think you'll enjoy the next couple, and despite the negative things I and many others say about the next 3 they are still fun to read.

Yeah, I'd definitely rank The Long Walk up there with anything else that King has written. Really great. Looking forward to the next two Dark Tower books. I've heard loads of people say that those are the best.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Orkin Mang posted:

theres a bit from mill on the floss i memorised but i enver finsished the book. quote what novelty is worth the sweet monotony of knowing something, and loving something because it is known. the woman who wrote that looked like oscar wilde. very butch. the curls just made it worse

What's loving weird is I googled that quote and the third hit was Oscar Wilde with ZERO on page matches. Sweet quote tho

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

What's loving weird is I googled that quote and the third hit was Oscar Wilde with ZERO on page matches. Sweet quote tho

i just did the same. whoa

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm reading Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar. Slowly. Not cause it's dull, it's just sorta dense and like the other guy said, internet gets me most of the time.

I might have more opportunity to read at work coming up since I switched to a later shift when things are a bit slower.

The prose is super good tho, and the guy is one of the earlier writers coming outta Latin American fiction which eventually spawned magical realism and all that kinda jazz. The book is structured to be read by "hopping" around, each chapter points to another, and only the first 56 chapters are "required" with the back 60 chapters being extraneous. Generally the path is early late early, like chapter 5->87->6 or occasionally 7->98->108->8. I keep notes at the beginning of each chapter so I know what I've read already. Usually a quote from the chapter.

Some really great stuff. Let's see...

quote:

we kiss as if our mouths were filled with flowers or with fish, with lively movements and dark fragrance.

I can't dig up more right now cause most are really long paragraphs.

His short story collection Blow up is good, here's the first story

http://southerncrossreview.org/73/axolotl.html

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I went to a book signing for the author of that book. I got a copy of his other book, Dead Wake, but I'm reluctant to physically read the book since I got it signed, and don't want to crease it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Is The House of Leaves any good? Or is it a dumb horror book for stupid babies? I don't really want to go to Wikipedia and spoil it, but I've heard several people raving about it a couple of years ago.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Is The House of Leaves any good? Or is it a dumb horror book for stupid babies? I don't really want to go to Wikipedia and spoil it, but I've heard several people raving about it a couple of years ago.

I thought it was mediocre, personally. I've read worse novels and it at least attempts some novel stuff even if I found the execution lacking.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished norm macdonalds memoir

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moose face posted:

im still reading it. every chapters like a stand up bit. its weird but good. the one about the guy who took him to his shed was ambiguous

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

moose face posted:

Oh didn't he write it in such a way that obviously untrue stuff is mixed in with actual autobiography?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

Oh didn't he write it in such a way that obviously untrue stuff is mixed in with actual autobiography?

yes

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Its mostly fabrication but i laughed out loud quite often. He is a good writer you read it in his voice and its pretty funny

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

That's so loving cool. I'm gonna make it my next buy once I finish On Stranger Tides.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

moose face posted:

Its mostly fabrication but i laughed out loud quite often. He is a good writer you read it in his voice and its pretty funny

At this point I've heard Norm's view on everything for most of my life and I think if he tried to be honest it'd be less interesting and maybe even less informative than learning that he's actually a capable writer. The least revealing chapter of all, the Rodney Dangerfield chapter, is the best thing ever.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I just finist Sandman and Lucifer.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
pretty good

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Subtitles on DS9.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

extra stout posted:

At this point I've heard Norm's view on everything for most of my life and I think if he tried to be honest it'd be less interesting and maybe even less informative than learning that he's actually a capable writer. The least revealing chapter of all, the Rodney Dangerfield chapter, is the best thing ever.

I liked the one where he went to jail

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Picked these up a while back and totally forgot about them until now. I am unsure if any of them are actually good.

I also recently finished Brian Cranstons autobiography "A Life in Parts" which was really interesting, and will soon move on to "Depends What You Mean By Extremist" by John Safran.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

people getting fried and blown up and poo poo

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jukeboxblues posted:

Picked these up a while back and totally forgot about them until now. I am unsure if any of them are actually good.

I also recently finished Brian Cranstons autobiography "A Life in Parts" which was really interesting, and will soon move on to "Depends What You Mean By Extremist" by John Safran.

read nostromo

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Ok I will read it sometime during the week

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jukeboxblues posted:

Ok I will read it sometime during the week

then read lance by nabokov. its a short story

Adbot