Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Shrek

Shrek for the OG Xbox is strange. It's not the same strange that made the movie and its sequel popular, either. It's the kind of strange that makes you question which plane of existence the development team was located on, and whether they communicated with regular human culture via string phone. In reality, it's probably just a gross misunderstanding of the property and an inability to replicate its humor.

Tell me about the gameplay through.

Oh, right. Thankfully, we're not here to look at the game's bizarre humor, but rather its game design. And said design is.. a little light, let's say. It almost feels like a minimalist approach, similar to a certain freeware release, except with more farts. Keeping with the spartan theme, the game clocks in at only an underwhelming hour of playtime. There isn't a lot here, but I hope to cover what we've got thoroughly.

Videos

Happily ever after!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Shrek is dreck

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Are all levels this awfully dark?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What the what is this game

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ah, I know I've often been of the opinion that I would want to play a character that is a combination of Sonic the Hedgehog and Bo Rai Cho.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are all levels this awfully dark?

Some of them are darker, some are eye-searingly bright. But mostly darker.

PMush Perfect posted:

What the what is this game

3D platformer with an indeterminate target audience.

Samovar posted:

Ah, I know I've often been of the opinion that I would want to play a character that is a combination of Sonic the Hedgehog and Bo Rai Cho.

In a remarkable feat of programming, moving this fast doesn't break the game or causing clipping issues.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I got the Shrek 2 video game in a bargain bin and it was weirdly enjoyable and decent.

This is not Shrek 2

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That opening cutscene made me think RPG. That would have been much better.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I got the Shrek 2 video game in a bargain bin and it was weirdly enjoyable and decent.

This is not Shrek 2

Shrek 2 is a much better game, but also less interesting.

Tiggum posted:

That opening cutscene made me think RPG. That would have been much better.

Sadly, no such thing exists.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What fresh hell is this

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Shrek The Game: This is wrong... I was supposed to be playable...
Digital Illusions: But you are playable...(*to minion* ship it... and never let it come back...)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

What fresh hell is this

It's a little moldy if you ask me.

BioEnchanted posted:

Shrek The Game: This is wrong... I was supposed to be playable...
Digital Illusions: But you are playable...(*to minion* ship it... and never let it come back...)

You should see what happened when they tried to make it better.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

It's a little moldy if you ask me.

You should see what happened when they tried to make it better.

The metaphor actually hold up with the plot of the second movie - the Fairy Godmother's potion makes something good-looking in a standard way but also makes it fairly bland as it does so - Shrek 2 is a better game but less interesting, exactly what the game would be if partaking of the Godmother's potion.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

The metaphor actually hold up with the plot of the second movie - the Fairy Godmother's potion makes something good-looking in a standard way but also makes it fairly bland as it does so - Shrek 2 is a better game but less interesting, exactly what the game would be if partaking of the Godmother's potion.

I approve of the observation, but I was actually referring to the awful remake of the game we're currently playing.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This next location is brighter, but the game design is shite..er

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That is a very 90s game somehow transplanted into the 2000s.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, you've mentioned this yourself, but it's still insane to me that they thought a charcater like Shrek should be characterized by his high speed and jumping ability. I don't know if it was out at the time, but wouldn't Wario World be a way better 3d platformer to rip off for this character?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

That is a very 90s game somehow transplanted into the 2000s.

I wonder if critics would be more kind to this game on the PS1. Though there is a PS1 Shrek game.

Endorph posted:

Honestly, you've mentioned this yourself, but it's still insane to me that they thought a charcater like Shrek should be characterized by his high speed and jumping ability. I don't know if it was out at the time, but wouldn't Wario World be a way better 3d platformer to rip off for this character?

Wario World came out 2 years later. The real question is why Wario World isn't a Shrek reskin

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 5, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love the flat voice acting during the level - every time you approach the nest the goose is all "excuse me but... could you fetch my children for me please...?" with the oddest tone. Also this mission is Canon to the movies - Humpty Dumpty is a wanker in Puss in Boots as well :haw:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Why is Humpty Dumpty teaching children to ritually commit suicide?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Why is Humpty Dumpty teaching children to ritually commit suicide?

Vengeance.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I remember a Shrek game that was like...team-based? And you could play as the Gingerbread Man and Red Riding Hood. Red Riding Hood was good because you could spam throwing her apples. And there were minigames and they called it HERO TIME and do you guys smell burning plastic? I think I smell plastic.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Bogart posted:

I remember a Shrek game that was like...team-based? And you could play as the Gingerbread Man and Red Riding Hood. Red Riding Hood was good because you could spam throwing her apples. And there were minigames and they called it HERO TIME and do you guys smell burning plastic? I think I smell plastic.

Shrek 2 on consoles is what you're looking for.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Sounds about right cause I know a four player co-op game does exist for Shrek since four player co-op games such as Digimon World 4 were a thing at the time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chimera-gui posted:

Sounds about right cause I know a four player co-op game does exist for Shrek since four player co-op games such as Digimon World 4 were a thing at the time.

Digimon World 4 is a great thing to point out in a thread about a bad game, because this still looks better than that awful, boring game. At least watching this is hilarious.

Gotta go fast, Shrek.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Digimon World 4 is a great thing to point out in a thread about a bad game, because this still looks better than that awful, boring game. At least watching this is hilarious.

Gotta go fast, Shrek.

You have no idea the trauma Digimon World 4 has brought upon my soul

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The witches are my favorite characters.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This game is drek.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I played it very little. That's all I needed to realize it was terrible, and I beat Digimon World 3.

Also Shrek for AGDQ or SGDQ. C'mon, we want to see it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jesus how bad is it that it got to you of all people? Do tell :allears:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Jesus how bad is it that it got to you of all people? Do tell :allears:

It's the most tedious action RPG I've ever played. You'd be hard pressed to find anything more mind-numbing. Seriously, go play Space Hack before you even consider Digimon World 4. It tries to trick you by having interesting equipment mechanics, but you spend all of 5 minutes fussing with that and 20+ hours grinding away pressing the goddamn X button until the controller or your patience are unmade from the fabric of reality. Now if this is the kinda poo poo that relaxes you, and you might think, "Mashing on the X button to swat Digimon for 20+ hours doesn't seem all that bad", then you should consider the god-awful maze dungeons specifically designed to forcefully pry your consciousness into alertness, lest you get lost for hours wandering through dreadfully boring corridors looking for switches. And god help you if you decide to play Single-Player and fall down a pit 5 hours into a dungeon grind. The sheer audacity of the game to pile obtuse pathfinding and evolution mechanics in the overworld on top of all this other bullshit is commendable. There is no paragraph I could type to properly illustrate my frustration.

In conclusion, gently caress.

Music's chill though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Looking at that boxart, I only have one thought: somebody give Guilmon a sandwich.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I will freely admit that DW4 is not a good game but I do personally like it for how different it was from other Digimon World games with the Gauntlet style gameplay and the fact that you're playing as a Digimon rather than a tamer.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Looking at that boxart, I only have one thought: somebody give Guilmon a sandwich.

Why?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Because he looks malnourished.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I will freely admit that DW4 is not a good game but I do personally like it for how different it was from other Digimon World games with the Gauntlet style gameplay and the fact that you're playing as a Digimon rather than a tamer.

I would like for them to tackle the concept again in a better game

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

I would like for them to tackle the concept again in a better game

Same.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Because he looks malnourished.

Ah, that's fair.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

One of Shrek's better interactions with royalty

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Did you get killed during the SAVING GOOD JOB part after getting Prince Charming to his room? You were still taking damage after saving the prisoners, too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Of course the next level is a sewer level...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Did you get killed during the SAVING GOOD JOB part after getting Prince Charming to his room? You were still taking damage after saving the prisoners, too.

Shrek did break down crying, which I think is his death animation.

• Locked thread