Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
Honestly, this sounds more like directionless poo poo-talk than any real threat. You're giving this more worry than it deserves.He hasn't mentioned any specific plans (if he had said, "yeah, I'm going to give a guy twenty bucks to slug me in the face, then tell HR that Bill Pullman cornered me in the supply closet and beat me up," that'd be a lot more serious).

The guy knows that he's having problems at work. He doesn't think he's the bad guy, so he needs to find somebody else to blame. As his boss, you're the natural target. He's probably got all kinds of stories in his head about how your terrible leadership is the real cause of every problem he's dealing with. He thinks he's going to "bring you down" by going to HR and giving them what he thinks is the real story about how your standards of professionalism are keeping him from doing his job. The guy isn't politically sophisticated enough to maintain cordial workplace relationships, he spills his "secrets" to a friend of yours, and he thinks of HR as some kind of neutral ombuds office/dispute-resolution service. The chances that he's actually hatching some kind of devious ten-moves-ahead Game of Thrones plan, rather than just embarrassing himself, are close to zero.

With all that said, your best option is still to be as open and honest as possible with your own boss. Part of that is giving them a realistic assessment of the situation: you've heard, secondhand, that this guy says he's going to actively mess with your career. It was probably more of a rant than a serious threat, but it's still a concern, and you're raising it out of an abundance of caution. If something does come up, your superiors have the context to handle it; if it doesn't (the much-more-likely option) then you haven't cried wolf over something small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread