Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Someone who reports to me has been having some issues with workplace relationships and professionalism. I have been working with him to try to resolve both his issues and his concerns about his not-great relationships with several colleagues but progress is hit and miss. We had a bit of a tense moment recently over a misunderstanding that I tried to resolve by speaking openly and honestly with him. He said that if I couldn't solve his issues he was gonna want off our team (and that I would be responsible for finding him a new job, which is silly) or that he would take it up with HR. I immediately offered to go straight to HR since I feel I've always been above board and wouldn't be afraid to sit down and hash things out with them since my goal is to have a healthy workplace and not to screw anyone over. I asked HR what the process would entail, related it back to him, and put the ball in his court as to whether he wants to go down that road (knowing that it would be an official process at that point and might not lead where he wants) or if he wants to work it out within the team.

The next day a very trusted colleague took me aside and said that at the bar a couple nights before he was ranting about how he was gonna bring me down (exact quote) and how he was gonna go to HR an cause havoc. He was gonna ruin my reputation (which is very solid and far-reaching at this company) and basically gently caress my poo poo up. Luckily for me I've been totally honest with my boss and with my contact in HR about the challenges I've faced with him but I've also always approached the situation with the goal of resolving it in a way that would lead to the best outcome for all - to the point where he's actually gotten off easy with me because I've been trying to fix things. I've been mindful of the fact that I went from peer to boss rather quickly on him and have tried to build up his confidence and regain his trust.

Obviously with this revelation that he wants to bring me down (whatever that means) I can't really trust that my positivity-based approach stands a chance of working. And his attempts to do whatever he thinks he's doing are self-destructive and counter-productive (he couldn't possibly have chosen a worse person to tell about his dastardly plans) but at the same time he can still cause me a big mess on the way down.

I'm sure I have to tell my boss about this and ask him whether or not to go to HR but at the same time drunken after-hours talk is different somehow to me than workplace behavior. Still... This seems pretty extreme. Thoughts? Anyone ever experience this before?

TL;DR My subordinate is drunkenly telling coworkers that he's gonna sabotage my career and bring me down. I heard about it second-hand (from a trusted source). Do I tell my boss and/or HR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
I'm not in the US so protected class may not be a thing but he's not white and has made noises about wondering if people are prejudiced against him (although it's bullshit.)

I'm not saying I'm a badass, just that I'm a straight shooter and have a good reputation. I've never fired anyone (and my company is very cautious about outright firing anyone) but I have once "managed someone out" of the org my making them miserable and encouraging them to look elsewhere.

Does this sound fireable? It's definitely beyond the pale as far as I'm concerned. I'm definitely talking to my boss on Monday since that's what my gut says to do and it's never failed me at work before.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Hey that's why I'm asking these questions. I've had difficult situations before but this is a new one on me and my management style is all about trying to inspire people, not fire them for stepping out of line. But if I have to I will, it's just something I've never encountered. I used to manage a much bigger team and I had a lucky break with them because they were awesome. Even the people who resented that a peer became their manager ended up having a really good experience with me (other than the one I managed out of course)

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Good advice. I'll move on this swiftly. This isn't like a warehouse job, it's very white collar so there's a lot of process to follow but even so I don't want to just let it drag on. I've gone through too much to get here to let this lie.its tricky cuz this guy's been around our industry a lot longer than me and knows tons of ppl. So he can definitely cause me grief. But I'm not scared of him. Just annoyed.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Not to be dense, but you mean don't let it slip to him only, right? You're not warning me against mentioning this to my boss and possibly HR?

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Right, good, on board with this. Thanks all.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
No unions. Although of course there could always be lawyers. Pretty sure I can talk to my boss about this. Very tight with my boss. Maybe talking to hr is a bit touchier but I won't do anything without boss approval.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Thanks. I did kinda bury the lede a little, didn't I?

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
In my view he did mention specific plans: "I'm gonna go to HR and say stuff that's gonna ruin his reputation. I'm gonna take him down." Is enough of a threat that it warrants raising. But I agree the rest of your points.

Here's what I've done today:

-Told my friend that I was telling my boss and that I'd keep her anonymous as long as possible but that she might get called on to discuss this at some point
-Talked to my boss. Kept it professional, didn't try to get inside the guy's head, just related what I heard and all my concerns about second hand info/drunk talk but also my concerns about feeling threatened in my workplace which is something that no one should have to feel
-Contacted HR at my boss's urging and set up an appt for tomorrow
-Initiated a totally generic mid-year review feedback request for all my full-time team members with a variety of other people in our group so that I can get a more diverse set of views. I didn't put my thumb on the scale but I did make sure to include people who may have been exposed to the situation as well as people who will probably have nothing but nice things to say. Gave them all until the end of the week to send in their feedback. Asked for total honesty.

Aside from that he's being overly nice to me now. Like, not sincere nice. So either he realises he hosed up or he's up to something. Not gonna sit around playing mind games. Just gonna be straight up with everyone I need to, that's all.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
No doubt.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Welp I've been asked to start to manage him out.

I've spoken with HR and my boss since my last post and this is where we've landed. They each respectively informed (at a high level) the uppermost tier of management for our group and it looks like the end is nigh. Not gonna use the drunken rant directly unless someone who heard it in person brings it up either with HR or in a mid year review response, but gonna just drive hard enough at my expectations to give him the opportunity to decide for himself that he wants to go elsewhere. The passive aggressive approach! Welcome to corporate life!

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Thanks No Butt Stuff.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Heh.

I take no pleasure in this. We're talking about someone who was a peer and a friend and who I've traveled with. But who is currently causing a huge mess and can't see his way through to fix it. It's sad, really. And it's gonna suck.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Update: exactly one month after my posting this thread he served notice. He's now serving out his notice period at home. Things had deteriorated and I was drafting up his improvement plan at the exact moment that he gave his resignation. He did all his outgoing stuff with my manager and not with me, so that plus some stuff he said showed me that at the end of the day he was never going to accept that I jumped him and became his boss. But that's fine. Leaving voluntarily was the right move and it's clear to anyone who knew the whole story that this was the result of my pushing him to improve and not letting him slide on the petty poo poo like coming in late or making rookie mistakes. I told my boss to make sure that his boss (located far away) knows that this wasn't a lucky break but the direct result of working the situation to make sure it came to a conclusion as swiftly as possible.

During exit interview he did tell HR that he'd talk to a lawyer and see if he wanted to file a grievance against me but I've got all the documentation that I did everything I could to help. I also heard through two different sources that he may have recorded our conversations to which I say bring it on. I know I conducted myself like a pro every step of the way. We'll see if anything comes of it. Either way, it seems like in our country it may be legal to record a conversation without consent for personal use but that it's illegal to provide it to a third party without consent. So in the spirit of his making the wrong decision every step of the way so far, if he ends up accidentally committing a crime while trying to get "revenge" on me I won't be surprised. After all, he did say he'd have my job and four weeks later I was showing him the door.

So the tale's not necessarily done yet but it seems like it could be. Either way, thanks as always for the advice. I played it straight, ran a tight ship and got the result I needed. I even have a free headcount now to hire one of my contractors whose contract is ending soon. And the global head of my business literally patted me on the back and said "thanks for taking care of that situation. It's never easy but it needs to be done." Man, I'd hate to be on the other end of that equation where someone who oversees hundreds of billions of dollars of business refers to me as a "situation." Still sad that it ended this way but it is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Yeah, we'll see what happens. I kind of doubt he wants to be known as the guy who files grievances when our industry is so small and insular. But who knows. He did get fairly generously paid out (paid for his remaining holidays for the whole year, etc...) and we did have a good conversation before he left where he showed some remorse and openness to evaluating his role in all this. I hope he takes this opportunity to really think about what he wants out of life and career and makes some positive changes.

• Locked thread