Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

turn off the TV posted:

OP imagine this guy except he's your roommate.

If he should be so lucky to as get a roomate as good as this one. At least El Puerco is genuinely trying to answer the questions being asked and despite the rambling nature of his response he is actually speaking on topic and giving as much germane insight into the experience as he can communicate. He could instead be using his babble to probe you and intensely study your reactions over a prolonged period of time in order to fine-tune babble designed to irritate and provoke specifically you- because that is the game he has invented to pass his infinite leisure time in eternal gray hell.

This thread has inspired me to write a thread about my experiences being homeless and receiving treatment for schizophrenia at a residential facility designed specifically for people who were both homeless and mentally ill. Should have the OP up in a couple hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

El Puerco posted:

You are Recovery, you should apply your delusion to the state.

Speaking of schizophrenia and Randomly Capitalized Words.

Prester's Perspective posted:

I wanted to try and explain specifically how my mental illness impacts my thinking and how you can see some of the results of that in my use of capitalized words. Have you ever read something written by an unmedicated schizophrenic and it is full of Randomly Capitalized Words that seem to be used in such as way as to Convey A Deeper Meaning that is important to the author but Indecipherable to the reader? This is an artifact of how schizophrenics think, and I am far from immune to it. What I have done is adapt myself to it. Let me explain.

Part of my illness is an extremely enhanced pattern recognition. This pattern recognition stems from a part of my conscious experience that process data in a fundamentally different way, I call this part of my consciousness [Pattern], and it processes and arranges data in a way that is very different from how a healthy mind processes and arranges data. [Pattern] perceives connections and repetitions in things, and it also smashes these perceptions down into more manageable abbreviations. By and large, all that [Pattern] does is process data in an extremely abbreviated fashion, sniffing specifically for commonalities between disparate data sets and then creating abbreviated methods to reference them. In most Schizophrenics this manifests as the Schizophrenic thinking and trying to communicate using these abbreviated references that [Pattern] has created in their mind. Generally they are unaware of doing so and simply assume everyone else thinks in the same terms as well, so when they write something and use one of these abbreviated terms they subconsciously turn it into a Proper Noun to distinguish the abbreviated [Pattern] produced concept they are referencing from the literal meaning of the words. As the schizophrenic is completely unaware of this, they feel they are communicating very specific ideas quite clearly, and they can read their own writing back to themselves and understand its intended meaning just fine. I am certainly not immune to this.

When you see my capitalized terms like Compaction or Inner Narrative then these represent a conscious attempt on my part to harness this aspect of schizophrenia. Through a rigorous internal review process I constantly monitor myself for the formation of new [Pattern] produced concepts. My mind creates these somewhat at random (I can consciously direct the topic that these will be formed around, but cannot really influence them otherwise), and then I try and find the ones that hold up to scrutiny. When I find ones that hold up to scrutiny then I try and find ways to communicate these concepts in terms that healthy minds will understand. Although I have naming conventions and systems for all this internally, much of it is too abstract to explain, so the names I wind up using are often part of my attempt to communicate these ideas.

The goal here then is to take the regular incoherent babble of a schizophrenic and try and turn it into something coherent.

By the way, the more you guys interact with me and explore these ideas the more it helps me to understand both healthy thought and how to communicate these ideas to you. So again, thank you all so much for the opportunity to have this thread. It has been of immense value in my personal recovery in ways that I hope at some distant day will find a way to describe.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 21, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

shame on an IGA posted:

This explains so much about TVTropes.

Seriously though PJ I love your writings about the structure of authoritarian thinking and the inner/outer/grand narrative, it really fits what I observed and experienced growing up in a super-baptist church in the deep south and was very helpful explaining the last presidential election to people who didn't. Do you have a link to the entire series handy?

Got ya covered

• Locked thread