Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
If you are able to ask yourself what an in-patient experience would be like, and care about the answer, you're likely not sick enough to meet admission requirements in my part of the world (British Columbia.) It's a really, really bleak place to be. It's where you go when you cannot take care of yourself, and burned every other bridge possible.

I worked administration in one. Among other things, I handled the paperwork that kept people admitted against their will. (That takes two psychs seeing the patient, and a department head signing off on it.) Lots of repeat customers. I found that in-patients were universally there so that the psychiatrists could hammer them with heavy trial-and-error dosing of medication in a place where they can't kill themselves, disturb anyone else, or self-medicate. The patients were dealing with nausea, disorientation, headaches, insomnia, grogginess, and a whole other grab-bag of side-effects/withdrawal. Your best-case ward neighbours are feeling so lovely as to be oblivious to you. More likely case is a roomie who cries a lot, has panic attacks, or has an annoying quirk they are incapable of moderating. It's profoundly boring and the coffee is decaf.

There were some group activities, but most of that came later. In-patient stage was pretty much just psychiatrists tinkering with neurochemicals.

Mileage may vary in a more for-profit health system. Canada is pretty crap for mental health services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread