Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
In 2013 i did a full gut of a house I inherited in Brooklyn NY. It was NOT cheap. I did everything the (mostly) legit way, getting permits through the city - which requires an architect to sign off on. An architect is needed even if you do not change ANY structural supports. You also need a plumbing and electrical permit. I however only got the general construction permit, signed by the architect and licensed general contractor, and the plumbing permit. The GC did the electrical on the down low. To get the general construction permit, asbestos testing also needs to be done. The guy who did my asbestos testing identified asbestos tiles and said he could either enter it in the permit that it won't be disturbed, or I could remove them myself prior to him submitting the findings. He would then come back and verify they were removed before he submitted the paperwork.

The GC took care of the paperwork for the dumpster. You need a permit to have the dumpster on the street.

Why does the gas meter need to be put on the outside? My gas meter at the time was in my basement and had a transmitter installed so it could be read from the outside.

My electric meter was in the basement which ConEd would have to come in monthly to read.

I am thankful I decided to go the legit way with permits, because on the VERY FIRST DAY of work, someone called the city inspectors to come check on my job. They came prepared with all the paperwork/permits filed, including the asbestos testing. They claimed there was a lot of dust being made and that someone called concerned it was asbestos dust. Since all my paperwork was in order, he just said to use a hose to wet the debris to keep the dust down. If I did not have the proper permits, he said my job would have been shut down and I could have been fined thousands of dollars.

You are really rolling the dice doing this by yourself/without permits. It only takes one rear end in a top hat neighbor to completely screw you over.

Edit:

As others have said, you will need a dumpster. You won't believe how much debris is made and how heavy it is. You will never get it all out with normal trash collection. If you have a driveway you can try to put the dumpster there. I think you do not need a permit if the dumpster is on private property. If it has to stay on the street, then yes you need a permit. I think they run a few hundred dollars.

My basement also had a leaking pipe that was a problem for years before I inherited the house. Everything had to go, including the wall studs.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Some Guy From NY fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

RoryGilmore posted:

Alright I think this is the most helpful since you've done this in the city. What kind of permits would I need, and how did you find reputable general contractors/architects in the city? I would like this to be legit and legal while still doing what I can myself, and leaving what I can't to a contractor.

Con edison came in and said they would not turn the gas back on because the gas line from the street to the house is from 1930, and they would need to dig it up and replace it on their dime. They said if they do that, I would need to move the meters outside since they want all meters to be outside now. Honestly con edison has been the most stressful part of this whole process, since customer service has no idea what energy services does, and promises things ES doesn't even come close to delivering on.

There is a driveway I can fit a dumpster in, I think I will be good on that front. But I'll work with a GC to figure out my options.

edit:

Follow up question, which dumpster company did you use?

All the permits and the dumpster company were set up by the architect/GC.

The contractor was recommended by a coworker who I know is a perfectionist himelf - so I knew he would not recommend someone who he did not like or did not do good work. My GC also redid my parents house after my house because he was that good.

My house had national grid for gas and like I said previously, they installed a meter with a remote transmitter. The house was built in 1951 and still had the original street connection as far as I know.

Email me at scottoc87@gmail.com and I can answer all your questions and give you the names of the companies I used.

• Locked thread