Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
problem description: i keep getting repeated windows 10 black screens on start-up. i know how to fix them, so that isn't really the issue, but it is an annoying problem that seems to be becoming more and more frequent. basically, every once in a while (three times previously over the past few months, but now three times this week), my os will lag on shutdown (this has been 100 percent for me; every time windows hangs up on shutting down i'll have the black screen issue). when starting up again, after login, i'll get black screen. the display is still functional (i can use task manager etc from this screen, and is how i have to fix the issue). the most recent time, however, is the first time i noticed a (possibly unrelated) issue: i couldn't run any executables before i shut down. i was playing dota 2, when i used my discord ptt key my discord died, and then after that any attempted executable wouldn't launch (but would still show up in my processes in task manager). this might have been unrelated because i've never had the executable issue before, but figured it would be worth mentioning.

attempted fixes: i've checked all the actual hardware in my case to make sure everything is still alright, made sure there's no recent installs i didn't know about, checked my temps, everything seems fine. this last time was the first time i had an actual issue precipitate the black-screen thing, so it's difficult to really troubleshoot what may or may not be causing the issue. every other time i've had this problem it's been after a relatively short session of non-gpu intensive gaming.

recent changes: none, the only software changes have been steam installs and the windows 10 update after all that ransomware stuff. the last hardware change i made was replacing my fans about five or six months ago.

specs: i7-6700k cpu, asus maximus viii motherboard, nvidia geforce gtx 1080 gpu, 32 gb ram installed, samsung ssd 850 evo 500gb. i honestly can't remember my power supply.

i'm in the US. i've googled around and read the faq, but most googling combinations tend to only tell me how to fix the immediate issue (which i've gotten really good at), and not what might be causing it with any degree of regularity. i sent nvidia an email as well but have not heard back from them, but the card is less than a year old and i haven't really pushed it hard at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try using DDU to uninstall video drivers and then put the latest on there:
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17066-released

If that doesn't work I'd try using onboard video temporarily and see if the issue still occurs.

• Locked thread