Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cda

by Hand Knit
yes, lets find a short story that's online and read that and discuss it

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit
Here's my nom: "Puppy," by George Saunders

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Hogge Wild posted:

does anyone have the cliffnotes?

yeah

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
i cant wait to discuss this story, so please read it so i have someone to discuss it with. there is a puppy in the story. it's not one of those things where he names it "puppy" but then you have to figure out what the puppy is. it's actually a puppy.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
i hope i didn't give away too much by letting you know there's an actual puppy in the story. i dont think that counts as a spoiler. it's too late now, you know there's a puppy in it, so now you have to read it to find out what kind and if its cute and has a name. also, what if i'm lying. you don't know. you could work up a fine rage upon finding out that i lied to you because i figured nobody would read the story, that would be almost as good as reading a story with a puppy in it. expecting a puppy but not finding one, and having someone to hate about it (me). not quite as good, though, which is probably why the author did actually put a puppy in there. because love is better than hate.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

alnilam posted:

i have another saunders story, Home, that I've really wanted to discuss but maybe I'll let another author happen first

thats a loving good story. they're all good stories, but that's a good one (and a bit different from his usual in some ways)

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
I propose "The Sandman," by E.T.A. Hoffmann. If that author's name is familiar to you, perhaps it's because he wrote the book on which The Nutcracker was based. "The Sandman" was also the main focus of Freud's famous essay on the uncanny, so it's kind of a twofer. It's not a particularly long story, but it is really weird: a demon that steals children's eyes, sexy robots, creepy barometer salesmen, this story has it all!

It's available here: http://germanstories.vcu.edu/hoffmann/sand_e.html

and here's the Freud, for fun: https://uncanny.la.utexas.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/freud-uncanny_001.pdf

or we could read something else. I know mine got picked last time, but what the heck.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit
[Monster Truck Voice] Sunday! Sunday! SUNDAY!!

• Locked thread