Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which one will happen first
This poll is closed.
The Warriors drop a game 5 11.36%
Klay scores more than 15 points in a game 17 38.64%
Lebron admits his own mortality 7 15.91%
The Lakers draft Ball 15 34.09%
Total: 44 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BWV
Feb 24, 2005

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Also what Lebron did with Miami is worse than what KD did with GS.

KD saw a team where he could fit in and do insane things in a great system, Lebron colluded with other free agents to set up a feifdom in a state with no Income Tax and ran an ESPN special about it.

Lebron literally had to go home and win a championship to redeem himself (which was awesome) whereas OKC getting screwed was a net positive for everyone.

look at this Dwight Schrute mother loving snitch who thinks joining the TechBro team (sponsored by loving Brita) that just beat your rear end in the conference finals after you blew a 3-1 lead is more legit than joining up with 3 pals and living in Miami, winning 2 titles, AND loving PAT RILEY IN THE PROCESS.

Your right tho. Durant will win a title and everyone will love him. No one will think he's a punk rear end bitch who joined a team that was going to probably win without him anyway. They will just say "man, this Servant guy, he really excels in this system! What a savvy and thoughtfully prudent guy! First ballot in cargo shorts hall of fame."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

BWV posted:

look at this Dwight Schrute mother loving snitch who thinks joining the TechBro team (sponsored by loving Brita) that just beat your rear end in the conference finals after you blew a 3-1 lead is more legit than joining up with 3 pals and living in Miami, winning 2 titles, AND loving PAT RILEY IN THE PROCESS.

Your right tho. Durant will win a title and everyone will love him. No one will think he's a punk rear end bitch who joined a team that was going to probably win without him anyway. They will just say "man, this Servant guy, he really excels in this system! What a savvy and thoughtfully prudent guy! First ballot in cargo shorts hall of fame."

Lol u mad bro

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I feel you, " A buff Gay Dude" but lebron also left a lovely team to go to miami. durant left russy, and that makes people sad because we thought of them as cartoon friends as drawn by some twitter woman and not Business Athletes

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

he left a championship contender for one of like 2 better teams in the entire league he a biiiiiitch

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
its almost like, players in the NBA have historically joined teams, if possible, that would increase their chances of winning a title

:piaa:

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

no one in any sport has done what kevin durant did, actually.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lebron left a "lovely" team that made deep playoff runs every year (because any team in the east with Lebron will do that, but still) and Durant left Russell "7 for 21" Westbrook and a shithole of a town worse than Cleveland.

Anyone who doesn't understand why a dude would leave playing with one of the most difficultly intense dudes around for a team like GSW when his job is to play basketball all the time isn't really thinking too hard imho

Lebron ain't joining back up with Cleveland if they don't luck into those #1s and he practically forced them to sign Love.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

they traded for love but hey why know anything about what you are talking about

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

No One, skip, and i mean No One!!!!! would ever want to play with *looks at writing on hand* bussel trestbook

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
there's going to be a big war now so i guess none of this will matter soon. athletes still get drafted yeah?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I wrote this earlier but since you werent around I can sorta repeat it. No one is cheesed at Durant for joining a new team. Nor do they resent him for joining a team that he thought could be better.
The thing that bothers people, and what makes many of us see it as a historically bitchmade move, is that he left a very good team for the best team. In NBA history there are close to no examples of a top 2 player leaving a top 5 team for a team that had one of the greatest regular seasons ever. The bitchmade-ness is also enhanced by the fact the team he left had a 3-1 lead against the team he went to.
If Durant got Anthony Davis, Chris Paul, Giannis and Porzingis to form a super team none of this bitchmade resentment would be there. We'd just be like, poo poo, these guys are hosed. But he literally said "can't beat em join them." I dont know why this is so hosed but it's probably because its never happened before. A perennial MVP candidate has never joined his most severe rival in his prime.
So it's not about him going to a better team. It's about him going to the only team in the league, even more than Cleveland, that would make him look like the biggest quitter

BWV fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 5, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lebron left a "lovely" team that made deep playoff runs every year (because any team in the east with Lebron will do that, but still)

Have you ever looked at those teams you goober

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i think most people here would agree teams owe players loyalty more than the other way around, no one wants the billionaires protected from those Uppity Players but jumping ship from arguably the 2nd best team to the 1st when you are an mvp canidate is just so wildly anti competetive as to massively hurt the sport. lebrons move made a real contender in the east, it didnt join the best of several at the expense of one. kds move is -1 good team and has likely torpedo'd good playoff series for several years, at the very least this years were abysmal because of him.

if kd hadnt left the warriors would likely be in a decently worse position than last year, the spurs/rockets/thunder would all be easily able to beat them and likely make a very good series out of it. in this hypothetical(and with the hindsight of knowing andrew bogut turned into a complete pumpkin) you could argue the thunder could be favored to win the west. instead we got 12-0.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Anyone who doesn't understand why a dude would leave playing with one of the most difficultly intense dudes around for a team like GSW when his job is to play basketball all the time isn't really thinking too hard imho

Everyone understands leaving OKC (except maybe OKC fans). Nobody with any type of competitive spirit understands joining the team that beat you. Especially when you were so close to beating them.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 5, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
You idiots keep suggesting/implying that KDs mistake was leaving OKC. As if it was the same team, or going to be equitable to the 2012 finals team. OKC was headed downward with a coach that couldn't control Westbrook's worst impulses.

Who should KD have signed with if not OKC (near guarantee to get beat by the rockets, Spurs, clippers, Sacramento Kings in the first round) or GSW (buncha dope rear end team- and championship-oriented dudes that, with some work, guarantees me a chance at the finals)? What would have satisfied your sense of need for a gossamer sense of 'fairness'

All that said going to GSW was kinda bitchboi move that robbed a sense of justice from the Warriors beating Cleveland with the same team. But CLE didn't stay still, why should golden state...a true rematch was impossible !!

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

They had All Star Anderson Varejao though

Edif: was that ths year they signed gump rear end Larry Hughes as LeBron's "#2"?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah they were all pretty lovely but also went deep in the playoffs every year.

Kinda like what KD left in OKC.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Why the gently caress should KD have thought for even a second about staying in OKC annnnddddddd where should he have gone?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Ghost Dog posted:

they traded for love but hey why know anything about what you are talking about

Lol they ain't trading Wiggins and everything else for love if he's not resigning so hey feel free to pretend like you got me

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

BWV posted:

I wrote this earlier but since you werent around I can sorta repeat it. No one is cheesed at Durant for joining a new team. Nor do they resent him for joining a team that he thought could be better.
The thing that bothers people, and what makes many of us see it as a historically bitchmade move, is that he left a very good team for the best team. In NBA history there are close to no examples of a top 2 player leaving a top 5 team for a team that had one of the greatest regular seasons ever. The bitchmade-ness is also enhanced by the fact the team he left had a 3-1 lead against the team he went to.
If Durant got Anthony Davis, Chris Paul, Giannis and Porzingis to form a super team none of this bitchmade resentment would be there. We'd just be like, poo poo, these guys are hosed. But he literally said "can't beat em join them." I dont know why this is so hosed but it's probably because its never happened before. A perennial MVP candidate has never joined his most severe rival in his prime.
So it's not about him going to a better team. It's about him going to the only team in the league, even more than Cleveland, that would make him look like the biggest quitter

lol why do you care so much?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah they were all pretty lovely but also went deep in the playoffs every year.

Kinda like what KD left in OKC.

It's nothing like what KD left in OKC, are you insane? OKC managed to make the playoffs in the west the year after KD left, Cleveland won 19 games the year after Lebron left. The Cavs weren't "pretty lovely" and you're being disingenuous or willfully ignorant. I don't hate KD at all but what he did was quite a bit different unless you possess no critical thinking skills

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

It's nothing like what KD left in OKC, are you insane? OKC managed to make the playoffs in the west the year after KD left, Cleveland won 19 games the year after Lebron left. The Cavs weren't "pretty lovely" and you're being disingenuous or willfully ignorant. I don't hate KD at all but what he did was quite a bit different unless you possess no critical thinking skills

it's the playoffs we get new posters

if he even knows who michael jordan even is he probably has no idea that he took steroids and had his dad murdered

the guy's an amateur don't let him get to ya

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

EvanTH posted:

if he even knows who michael jordan even is he probably has no idea that he took steroids and had his dad murdered

Buff Dude Slapfight- its what happens in the 3 days between games

Goddam SA

edit- also way to dadshame LeBron into never being the GOAT Evan

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

Ugh, you're right. Way to bring up sad memories, though. Between leaving basketball completely voluntarily and having his dad murdered, Michael had a bad stretch there.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Mr. Mambold posted:

Buff Dude Slapfight- its what happens in the 3 days between games

Goddam SA

edit- also way to dadshame LeBron into never being the GOAT Evan

[shaking my head in a highly George Karl manner] It's just disappointing to me. You can't help but think that if LeBron James had known his father, he might never have been down 3-1 in the first place. Fortunately we have a new crop of extremely fathered players coming into the NBA and the Balls will turn this league around.

WOw can you imagine how good on defense the first player with two gay dads is going to be [again shaking my head in disappointment at Kenneth Faried's poor defense]

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

You're right, LeBron's was a true betrayal of his hometown that left the franchise in shambles
KD merely took an opportunity to improve his condition, he knew OKC was Westbrook's team

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ammanas posted:

You're right, LeBron's was a true betrayal of his hometown that left the franchise in shambles
KD merely took an opportunity to improve his condition, he knew OKC was Westbrook's team

That's an argument I'd listen to much more readily than "they were the same thing"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ammanas posted:

And then Lebron brought Cleveland a title to make up for it so KD is still more bitchmade

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

KD should have left OKC, but it was bad for the league and for his reputation as a competitor to go to either the Cavs or Warriors. Everyone understands that he's happy and he's winning; that's not the point.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Lol I hope next time you're unhappy with your workplace you pick the job that requires the most work and strife to achieve success in as opposed to the best paying and most satisfying environment

No KD don't go be happy and successful, you must go prove yourself to us!!

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the workplace analogy is almost as tortured as when people try to apply their workplace to pro athletes labor disputes

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

big boi posted:

KD should have left OKC, but it was bad for the league and for his reputation as a competitor to go to either the Cavs or Warriors. Everyone understands that he's happy and he's winning; that's not the point.

Where should he have gone?

Lebron was the first star to realize his ability and contract situation meant he could play where he would be happiest, KD did the same thing.

Also the post bron 2010-11 cavs dumped their roster to tank whereas this season's Thunder decided to let Russ carry their Garbo squad to a middling finish and the start of non lottery pick hell. The 2009-10 Cavs roster just minus LBJ would have been a lovely playoff team in the east.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Here's a hot take: Magic and Bird were huge bitchmade sluts they just got drafted by their really star packed teams so they could hide the fact throughout their careers

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Where should he have gone?

Lebron was the first star to realize his ability and contract situation meant he could play where he would be happiest, KD did the same thing.

Also the post bron 2010-11 cavs dumped their roster to tank whereas this season's Thunder decided to let Russ carry their Garbo squad to a middling finish and the start of non lottery pick hell. The 2009-10 Cavs roster just minus LBJ would have been a lovely playoff team in the east.

The pre-Heat LeBron Cavs didn't have a player half as good as Westbrook. (or Ibaka or Adams) You can't really tank with Westbrook.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Also the post bron 2010-11 cavs dumped their roster to tank

They dumped nobody. The top 5 winshare people on the team besides Lebron in 2009-10 were also on the team in 2010-11. In fact, they added Ramon Sessions, who had their most winshares in 2010-11, so they improved the roster sans Lebron.

Saying they would make the playoffs without Lebron is patently false.

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 5, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

They dumped nobody.

wow how does a Celtics fan forget the year you acquired 30 games a season Incredibly Fat Old Shaq and Delonte "Negative BPM" West

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

wow how does a Celtics fan forget the year you acquired 30 games a season Incredibly Fat Old Shaq and Delonte "Negative BPM" West

I hate both of those men and they are nobody to me. No friends of mine! Both of them ruined the locker room with their bad ways

e: Also Shaq looked horrible in a Celtics uniform, it was some uncanny valley poo poo

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 5, 2017

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

by win shares their 2nd best player was anderson verajao. the third was mo williams

you think a mo williams/anderson verajao led team is bound for the playoffs lmao

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

I hate both of those men and they are nobody to me. No friends of mine! Both of them ruined the locker room with their bad ways

e: Also Shaq looked horrible in a Celtics uniform, it was some uncanny valley poo poo

haha he really did look terminal stage ill in Celtics green, but on the plus side we got those great Nate Robinson videos out of the whole thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-rC6LoYDGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw3oHRdiJPE
-Funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

late career shaq was the worst.

• Locked thread