Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Luggage posted:

One more on that recommendation, from what I see Unreal Engine is exclusively for 3D stuff. I am definitely looking towards 2D as a beginner. Is this possible with Unreal Engine? And since they get compared a lot, how easy is 2D stuff with Unity?

Unreal's 2D framework is still experimental. Collisions and physics aren't very intuitive from what I hear. Although Unity's 2D support has become quite good lately, so you might want to take that into account.

Also since I page sniped, we're nearly a week out from the jam starting!

One small thing: We're not doing a theme announcement video this year since everyone involved is tied up with work related business. We'll still announce the theme at the usual time (Midnight CST) here, on Twitter, and the site.

Instead, right after we announce the theme we'll be hanging out in our cy.tube channel watching videos with some relation to the theme. You know, for inspiration.

That'll happen here: https://cytu.be/r/sagamedev

Calipark fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I put forth the nomination that the theme be " 'Axl Rose: Gimme Some Reggae' ", please and thank you and please.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I think I am still looking for a group? Javascript programmer for Unity maybe c# too, more comfortable with Javascript but I can work with c#

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

NextTime000 posted:

I think I am still looking for a group? Javascript programmer for Unity maybe c# too, more comfortable with Javascript but I can work with c#
Unity Javascript is nothing like regular Javascript if that's what you're expecting, I'd suggest brushing up on your C# and playing around with Unity if you can help it.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Can I make an RPG maker game?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

blaise rascal posted:

Can I make an RPG maker game?

I did one year, just make sure that all your assets are packed into the game and that you do not include ones you don't use.

Make it a Zip file, since no judge wants to install anything.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

SupSuper posted:

Unity Javascript is nothing like regular Javascript if that's what you're expecting, I'd suggest brushing up on your C# and playing around with Unity if you can help it.

Unity Javascript is basically C# structure with some Javascript-style terminology. Very strange. I assume there was a good reason for it at one point, but I think it's only around now because it's legacy.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
I'm in. Have a team of two, looking for a 3rd. PM me if you have some hands-on with any of the following:
-Unity
-Level Design
-Textures/UV mapping
-Material workflows (PBR)
-Substance Painter/Designer
-Animations
-UI Design

Or whatever, if you're down to learn, tryhard, have fun, laugh at bugs.

Here's a joke game I never finished that I did purely to make fun of Star Citizen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sErsCOKXr3Q

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Corbeau posted:

Unity Javascript is basically C# structure with some Javascript-style terminology. Very strange. I assume there was a good reason for it at one point, but I think it's only around now because it's legacy.

Unity Javascript is basically cancer.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Corbeau posted:

They probably thought JavaScript would appeal to more people, but didn't wanna have multiple APIs, so just made a Javascript frankenstein that compiles into .NET (similarly Boo is just .NET Python).
Clearly if they wanted to court beginner developers they should've just used VB.NET instead. :getin:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I've been meaning to start dabbling in game making again and this seems like a great way to get a kick in the pants, so I'm in.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Alrighty, I can adapt to a different syntax easily enough. but I'd still could use some people to tell me what to do.

if it's also worth mentioning, I would enjoy anything User-Expierence-y since I do love making things easier for others to use or understand

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Don't forget room on the wall of shame for me

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

SupSuper posted:

They probably thought JavaScript would appeal to more people, but didn't wanna have multiple APIs, so just made a Javascript frankenstein that compiles into .NET (similarly Boo is just .NET Python).
Clearly if they wanted to court beginner developers they should've just used VB.NET instead. :getin:

The C# can be pretty strange too.

I would love to be in but I'll be going away during the jam and I'm not sure I'll get time to make games.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

If anyone wants a programmer I've done some C# Unity stuff.
I've never done any complete games (unless you count this pong thing I did in C++/openGL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjpFhD3mOa4) but I'll try not to feed the wall of shame.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

After a little bit of team-building, I'm proud to announce the entry of Team Dick Noir!

Our hastily-named team consists of two amateur programmers keen to actually finish a game, and an artist! And the other programmer even plays the fiddle, so we'll see if that comes in handy!

Here's to this year's jam, and to finishing a game for public consumption. :toot:

Edit: updated logo

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 1, 2017

I-H
Dec 24, 2009
You guys got mentioned in the Finnish Game Jam calendar, thought I'd let you know:
https://www.facebook.com/FinnishGameJam/posts/10154818347070369

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Just a heads up. Jam starts this Friday CDT (Austin, TX time).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

And my weekend is already completed tied up with other obligations, during baby's first game jam :gonk:

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib
If I were to compete this year (which I haven't in a few, and probably won't this year either), would it be acceptable under the current rules to create art assets using stop-motion animation of real-world objects such as, say, action figures or Barbie dolls? I've considered doing that several years running now, and just couldn't be bothered to take the time, but who knows, maybe this year will be different.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tube posted:

If I were to compete this year (which I haven't in a few, and probably won't this year either), would it be acceptable under the current rules to create art assets using stop-motion animation of real-world objects such as, say, action figures or Barbie dolls? I've considered doing that several years running now, and just couldn't be bothered to take the time, but who knows, maybe this year will be different.

if anything i've ever made is a valid entry... then yes this will probably be fine :v:

it's just a really roundabout way to create a sprite anyway, right?

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib

The White Dragon posted:

if anything i've ever made is a valid entry... then yes this will probably be fine :v:

it's just a really roundabout way to create a sprite anyway, right?

Yeah, and I doubt it would be a problem, but it's not "my" art technically. I used to steal art from elsewhere like crazy, because I can't be bothered to do all my sprites by hand, but that was back when Shalinor had a hand in things, I think. Just wondering about the degree of permissibility under the current rules.

I mean, there's got to be a line somewhere. I have the original sprite sheets from the arcade version of Dig-Dug, for example, but I wouldn't expect to be allowed to use them.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I smell a theme...

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Tube posted:

Rotoscope the Barbie dolls.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Tube posted:

Yeah, and I doubt it would be a problem, but it's not "my" art technically. I used to steal art from elsewhere like crazy, because I can't be bothered to do all my sprites by hand, but that was back when Shalinor had a hand in things, I think. Just wondering about the degree of permissibility under the current rules.

I mean, there's got to be a line somewhere. I have the original sprite sheets from the arcade version of Dig-Dug, for example, but I wouldn't expect to be allowed to use them.

:shrug: Freely available assets are out there that are quite good, I think it's more about following the theme and spirit of the jam generally.

Or hell just make a game where you throw perpetually growing tires at zombies. :unsmigghh:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Tube posted:

Use your own judgement on this, but there's no hard rule against using assets you didn't make yourself. Just don't go too crazy and use stolen assets for 90% of your art, your own judgement and all that.

Besides, the use case you used in the previous post is absolutely "your" art.

The only rules you'll get in actual trouble / disqualified for are the ones I've listed in the OP and on the site. Otherwise, like a broken record: Use your own judgement and don't be a jerk.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Reminder that if you're new, on the fence about joining the jam or just want to chat game dev you can hop in the discord. Plenty of people to ask about our experiences doing game jams.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib

JonTerp posted:

Besides, the use case you used in the previous post is absolutely "your" art.

That's just what I wanted to hear. Awesome. Looking forward to the theme so I can find out what kind of lovely toys I need to buy at thrift stores and on eBay (or if I can just use my kid's stuff, for that matter). If I decide to commit to entering this year, of course, which depends a bit on whether I can find a new job. Working freelance is funny like that.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Tube posted:

That's just what I wanted to hear. Awesome. ... lovely toys...

I've used Makehuman and sorta-rotoscoped the art before. It's a similar idea. Still a lot of effort.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Tube posted:

Make a FMV game staring you in your breakout role as you.

I got your game during the steam sale. I'm not crazy about it but it's something to be proud of. Cool, thanks, and congrats.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 4, 2017

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
This looks awesome. I've been attempting to teach myself Unity in the brief hours between work and sleep, and there's only so many tutorials I can do before I have to just sit down and make something. Here's hoping programmer art and sloppy craftsmanship are enough to prop up that shame wall.

I'm coming on solo, 'cause working weekends doesn't leave much time for collaboration. Just gotta think up a good team name and sketch a logo tomorrow.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i'm comin' in solo as Team Not Sure

...because i'm really not sure if i'll finish on time. i've been tooling around with c++ and SDL, so this'll be a fun challenge.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
I hope I make a good game.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I'm stoked to get ramped up on an over ambitious project and burn out trying to balance real life + weekend warrior'ing ridiculous poo poo as usual

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Same except most of my weekends are also booked.

I should really scope myself like I'm doing a one week jam. Which really means scoping myself like I'm doing a weekend jam with some time to polish.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

I should really scope myself like I'm doing a one week jam. Which really means scoping myself like I'm doing a weekend jam with some time to polish.

Idiot! Fool! Imbecile!

Either make an MMO in 3 weeks or get out!

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a free agent again this year, and if no one needs a UE4 generalist (no art, ever), I'll probably make something fun on my own.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Harold Krell posted:

I hope I make a good game.

i am just aiming for a game

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib

Hammer Bro. posted:

Avoid feature creep, do this exactly, but plan out a week's worth of work with the rest of the month to polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I guess I'll throw my hat in.

• Locked thread