Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Who wants to join TEAM PUNCH FIGHT this year?!

I'm doing something different this year in that I've basically already decided that I'm making a Zelda-like dungeon. No combat or other complicated character interactions, no frills, just interacting with puzzle elements in order to progress through a space. The theme of the dungeon and the actual puzzle mechanics, of course, will be based on the jam's theme, no matter how ridiculously gimmicky they might actually wind up being. If the theme winds up being collectible card games we are going to make it loving work.

The less code I can write, the better, because I want this to largely be a design exercise for me. It's my intent to spend the first weekend implementing all of the actual game mechanics and spending the entire rest of the time building out the dungeon. I'll be using UE4, since it's what I'm most familiar with, and doing all of the scripting in Blueprint so nobody has to deal with figuring out how to compile and run things.

I'm looking for people passionate about level design to help me build this thing. Ideally, I'd like a 3D environmental artist who can make the environment actually look good and a sound (and music??) guy to make sure we nail the ambiance. A character artist would be nice, but I'm sure I can half-rear end something or download it from the asset store. Experience with UE4 is a huge plus, as is knowledge of scripting environmental stuff with Blueprint.

PM me or hit me up in the AwfulJams Discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Wrote up a dungeon design document. Only God can save us now.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Team Punch Fight had some issues getting placeholder assets to actually work, so I coded up boring, not-screenshottable systems like loading screens, level transitions, and dialogue text.

Better to get them out of the way now than three hours before deadline like usual!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I got some movement and stamina mechanics working!

You can boost!

You can jump!

You can boost AND jump, but they use the same meter so you don't go as far or as high!

My next step is to figure out why there's so much goddamn visual tearing going on at high speeds.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Siminu posted:

I'll turn off the looping jump after it stops making me laugh.

http://nesdev.com looks like it woulda been handy, but I'm all aboard the Unity train now. Progress progress progress.

I have no idea what your game could possibly be about but I'm sure that it's far better than anything I could imagine.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBTLACWKT7Y

what are you talking about, this isn't the magnesis rune at all, this is 100% original and different

for one thing, i'm a car

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

https://twitter.com/blastron/status/886706688320872448

I don't want to talk about how many hours it took me to come up with how the logic for the door system works.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

TEAM PUNCH FIGHT figured out how to get past the DRM on a really cool game and we want you to play it:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Praseodymi posted:

Having problems getting invited to my team, no email or anything.

You don't get an invite email, it shows up as a notification on the site when you log in.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Praseodymi posted:

I'm not seeing it.

Did you use the same email to sign up as the email you're being invited with?

If you are, and there's no notification, pop in Discord and ask for help there.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Tann posted:

PUNCH FIGHT 7: BOOT TO THE HEAD by TEAM PUNCH FIGHT

I love the concept for this game, the stories of developers putting into fuckyous to the people who crack their games are always funny. I enjoyed driving around and going for long-jumps in the car and the visuals are incredible. I didn't get on too well with the puzzles though and got stuck in one of the rooms.

Highlight: I don't know how much of this is stock UE4 stuff but the models and visuals everywhere were fantastic. The lighting looked lovely and the UI was very polished.

Thanks for playing! Sorry to hear you got stuck; it's actually 50/50 on whether we missed an edge case in the puzzle logic or we didn't telegraph what was going on well enough.

The graphics are 100% us, and by that I mean 95% Typical and 5% me loving around with shaders. Glad you like them, getting everything to look right while still being a solid gameplay experience was really challenging!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Typical posted:

Play Pathfinder 2 and then build your very own Rover with this papercraft cut out set!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ssjk89fn59kjx3/Papercraft%20Rover.rar?dl=0

TEAM PUNCH FIGHT has merch. This is our best jam ever.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

TodPunk posted:

I really don't get why this game jam is still not understood, every year. The Summer Awful Jam is about making a game and getting some decent industry level feedback in a real-but-not-shark-tank way. You (to nobody in particular) make a game, you get feedback on design, play-ability, art, and some exposure to how an audience would perceive it.

The Gong Show is that last bit, and ONLY that last bit. That's all it has ever been. You get one promise: your game will be played if it can run at all. (Just watch a stream and see how much effort goes into making that happen on a stream. Even the emulator ROM game was discussed, ahead of time, to make sure it got a shot.) The rest is purely a judgement of how it plays, as is.

The Gong Show is the highest-profile and most thorough exhibition of all of the games. For most participants, it's the only time they'll get to see someone play through their game and give feedback in an entirely uncontrolled setting. This is also the most exposure that your game will likely get, since it seems like the overall level of post-jam feedback in the thread is really light. This kind of thing can be an intensely vulnerable experience, especially if you're not used to getting unvarnished feedback. Hell, I've been doing game jams for over a decade and watching this kind of thing still has me on the edge of my seat.

On top of that, the fact that it's the people running the jam doing this, and not just some random SA celebrity streamer, adds extra weight to it. Until the actual judging hits, this is the most authoritative indication that you have of how well you actually did. Seeing the people who are supposed to be carefully considering your game and scoring it just kinda breeze past it because it's not very good (or, worse, doesn't stream well) is not a great feeling. It feels unfair.

The fact that this isn't intended to be the showcase is immaterial. It is, until something bigger comes along. The fact that this isn't intended to be the actual judging is immaterial. It feels like it is.

I don't have any solutions to this problem that don't involve significant changes to the format and direction of the stream.

Hammer Bro. posted:

I believe the scalable answer is for everyone who wants their game to be reviewed to themselves review the games of others. It's mathematically likely that if everyone who made one game did two reviews then they'd get at least one review of their game.

This is a good suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

TodPunk posted:

I believe this could be solved by putting the gong show after judging has actually happened. This would mean more suspense in time without any information, but would alleviate the catch-22 of intent vs void-filling need we humans tend to have.

That's actually a really good idea, now that you mention it. The order in which games are presented might have to be tweaked (each judge's block is ordered from worst to best?) and the judge might want to do more commentating to elaborate on things mentioned in their review, but I like the concept.

• Locked thread