Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Go to Awful Jams DOT com to join in or get more gritty details.
Follow us on Twitter for updates: @AwfulJams
Chat with us on The Awful Jams Discord
Jam starts July 7th and ends August 1st

Your theme is BOOTLEGS

PLAY GOON GAMES NOW M'LORD http://www.awfuljams.com/awful-summer-jam-2017/games

It's time for the annual summer game jam.

Anyone can make a game in a month, especially you.

“But mister Awful Jams!” you might say “I’ve never made a video game before in my life! There’s no way I could make a game in a month!”

Wrong.

You can do a lot in a month more complex than learning to make a video game. Don’t believe me?

You could knit a sweater, build a shed, focus on your personal relationships, get a promotion, join a gym, quit a gym, make about $80 mowing lawns, order something from overseas with free shipping and maybe receive it, organize a game jam, get your pilot's license, learn to scuba dive, finish about 25% of a JRPG, construct a small troupe of puppets entirely out of hair, teach your cat to use a full human sized toilet, learn the basic grammar structure of Japanese, recover from an intense case of pneumonia, follow a flappy bird game making tutorial to a tee then submit it to a game jam and act surprised when you get disqualified, build a nice bird house, study the blade, master the blockchain, learn a programming language, do a crusade, sack rome, learn several ways to wear a tie, solve one of those giant novelty rubik's cubes, call your mother, learn a whole bunch of magic tricks, build a killer robot, start a podcast, walk 600 miles, start a coup, learn to cook...

Or you can just relax, hang out, and make a video game with some other cool people like yourself. Choice is yours, I’m not gonna twist your arm.

Rules:
* Don’t be a jerk.
* Only 3 people per team.
* People that only produce audio files for your game Do not count toward your team member limit (IE: Musicians, Voice Actors, Yodelers)
* 500mb game size limit.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
[Reserved for future garbage]

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

ALFbrot posted:

Why is it not a full month? Not complaining, just curious.

Just experimenting. You still get four solid weekends.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

and this time I swear I'm not gonna overscope it.

This will be the subtitle for the Winter Jam thread.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Supernorn made a rad logo for this year's jam.

https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/875902906670698497

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Rob Filter posted:

Hey, can I request a small amendment to this rule? I've got a team of two programmers and an artist so far, and im messaging a musician who I might potentially be able to get to join my team. I've had talks with him about game design and development, and he's super interested in doing some game design himself. However, I've just realized that the rules as written mean that it would technically be violating the letter of the rules for him to design a puzzle, or a level, for the game we'd be working on, because he'd be producing non-music stuff.

Could you amend the rule so that people who only contribute game design, and do no code, or art, don't count towards the team limit either? It would be super appreciated!

Basically, if the person doesn't touch your game project code , art, or editor wise they don't count toward the limit.

Use your own judgement, play by the spirit of the jam.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

Wish I could find it (it may have been in the SAgamedev slack that no longer exists) but I remember JonTerp personally telling me that the evil spirit possessing your corporal form counts a team member.

I can confirm I did say this and is still a standing rule. Even if you are possessed by the Spirit of the Jam.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Luggage posted:

One more on that recommendation, from what I see Unreal Engine is exclusively for 3D stuff. I am definitely looking towards 2D as a beginner. Is this possible with Unreal Engine? And since they get compared a lot, how easy is 2D stuff with Unity?

Unreal's 2D framework is still experimental. Collisions and physics aren't very intuitive from what I hear. Although Unity's 2D support has become quite good lately, so you might want to take that into account.

Also since I page sniped, we're nearly a week out from the jam starting!

One small thing: We're not doing a theme announcement video this year since everyone involved is tied up with work related business. We'll still announce the theme at the usual time (Midnight CST) here, on Twitter, and the site.

Instead, right after we announce the theme we'll be hanging out in our cy.tube channel watching videos with some relation to the theme. You know, for inspiration.

That'll happen here: https://cytu.be/r/sagamedev

Calipark fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 26, 2017

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Just a heads up. Jam starts this Friday CDT (Austin, TX time).

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Tube posted:

Yeah, and I doubt it would be a problem, but it's not "my" art technically. I used to steal art from elsewhere like crazy, because I can't be bothered to do all my sprites by hand, but that was back when Shalinor had a hand in things, I think. Just wondering about the degree of permissibility under the current rules.

I mean, there's got to be a line somewhere. I have the original sprite sheets from the arcade version of Dig-Dug, for example, but I wouldn't expect to be allowed to use them.

Use your own judgement on this, but there's no hard rule against using assets you didn't make yourself. Just don't go too crazy and use stolen assets for 90% of your art, your own judgement and all that.

Besides, the use case you used in the previous post is absolutely "your" art.

The only rules you'll get in actual trouble / disqualified for are the ones I've listed in the OP and on the site. Otherwise, like a broken record: Use your own judgement and don't be a jerk.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

It's July 7th already where's the new thread :D

Why would we make a new thread?

Theme will be announced 2 hours from this post.

After the announcement you can join us in Discord and on our Sync-Tube to watch some inspiring videos (https://cytu.be/r/sagamedev).

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Your Summer Awful Jam 2017 theme is BOOTLEGS

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Going to recommend nobody call any copyrighted characters out by name in their submissions.

Definitely do not name your game after a trademarked franchise or character.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Jo posted:

The interpretation of 'bootleg' is open, though, right? So it can be either bootleg ripoffs of games/movies/etc, OR bootleg like a game about the prohibition era where people illegally made Muslims in their bathtubs and such?

It's entirely open to your interpretation, yes.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

leper khan posted:

They can't stop parody. It's legally protected.

That's not just my opinion, but I am not a lawyer and do not provide legal advice.

Parody is a legal defense, not a right.

While the odds of it happening are slim, if a rights holder sends us a DMCA we cannot challenge it and will fulfill the request.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
You might have missed it with the new Awful Jams front page but we've got a new award category this year!

Most Polish
Your game is so clean I could eat off it. Bonus points for: Dealing with multiple aspect ratios, defaulting to windowed mode, actually having video options, no crashes, well tuned controls, a handsome main menu, and a secret Jerry Seinfeld artfully hidden in your game.

So be sure to spit shine those games.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

So would including a bootleg-ized version of my game from the last jam in my 256-in-1 multicart be kosher? Yah or nah? Because, well...

I don't see a rule against it so go hog wild.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hammer Bro. posted:

The first post and the subheading for awfuljams.com state the competition as running from July 7th through August 1st. I know we got the 7th and based on the wording I'd expect we get the 1st. But the timer implies that the event ends with the end of July 31st (or maybe I can't do timer math).

Are these due Monday or Tuesday?

I'd expect to have Tuesday (the 1st) to do last-minute work, but it'd be good to know if they're actually due by the end of Monday (the 31st).

Edit: I'm dumb but my question still stands.

It was originally supposed to Start on the 7th and end on the 1st. But since the messaging got messed up in many places to say "thought" instead of "until" I pushed the timer up to reflect going "through" August 1st.

Happy Jamming.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
We're entering the final 24 hours!

First off, hats off to everyone participating. If you managed to finish a game no matter if it was small or large, completing any sort of a game in a month is a huge accomplishment so pat yourself on the back.

If you're ending up on the wall this year don't let it get you down, the only real failure is not learning from your mistakes and giving up. Hang around and play the games submitted by others, give some constructive feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

The tentative post jam schedule is as follows:

* The judging process this year begins August 2nd
* Gong Show - 4th & 5th
* Winner announcement stream - 11th

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Myron posted:

Well if it's only me so far you might be fine. I'm also more paranoid of something like that happening to my game now.

Afal posted:

I've tried a hack to get the datetime stuff to work. gamemaker seems to have a bug that's specific to windows 8 on that (http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=14811). I heard a rumour Sharpened Spoon is kindly allowing re-submissions and I want to make sure I've squashed this bug to stop me having a panic attack so I can try doing that.

This is why we encourage everyone to do play testing before uploading. Just like the Winter jam you're allowed to resubmit up to 3 times before the deadline.

If you can't get a fix in before the deadline we'll do everything we can to match your game up with a judge that can actually run the game or try some OS level work around to get it to run.

But we won't allow re-submissions after the deadline tonight at Midnight CST in this case. And if it doesn't run for any judge you're SOL.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
A PSA for everyone new this year.

You are allowed to make changes and update your game past submission!

We judge you based only on the build you uploaded before the deadline.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Time to bang the gong.

2017 Summer Awful Jam Gong Show schedule

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
VOD for Day 1 of the Gong Show

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/164480542

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Giggs posted:

Don't do that! I'm glad you voiced your concerns because I've been struggling to compose mine into a readable and constructive format to help make the jam better. I also disagree with your original statement that it was somehow your fault. It's not your fault that your game doesn't get the same leeway that other types of games get on the stream. There are issues with the Gong Show that I think should be addressed in future.

Everyone wants to make the jam better, and everyone wants it to grow, and it doesn't happen if you diminish your feelings and opinions. Share them!

To your original point, there's an unfortunate side effect to the format that discourages games which are more complex, require more attention, or skill to show off their strengths. As it stands, this will probably keep happening and it makes me feel really uncomfortable when I see a game get gonged before it gets it's point across to the streamers. :words:

Gong Show has always focused on giving participants feedback from the perspective of the standard mainstream gamer, teaching developers how regular people might react to your design.

Most are not going to give your game more than 2 or 3 minutes to hook them, and the Gong Show gives a fairly accurate simulation of this through a happy accident of the streaming format, which forces my patience down to the level of the average game player. To be clear though, I do not play dumb during Gong Show (I just am that bad at video games :) ).

The Gong Show has never been about showing your game in the most positive light. It's always been about showing your game through the lens of the gaming public and helping you grow with that knowledge. The Gong Show will never be about spending 30 minutes per game exploring each rad feature you spent weeks on. It will always be about showing you how actual people will play your games and destroy your designs.

Interesting games will always get more airtime than uninteresting games. SimShine for example, the most complex game we've probably ever had submitted to Awful Jams got a full 25 minutes on the Gong Show, more than twice as much time than any other game in the block due to Everdraed's guidance and the fact that it has a well designed tutorial to explain the intricacies of the game.

To sum everything up, the Gong Show is designed to punish complex games that lack good design, which in the real world would get eaten alive by most game players. By design it encourages slick, well though out, and engaging games. It's purposefully abrasive to games lacking tight design.The amount of effort you put into making a game is completely irrelevant when evaluating the game's qualities. If we told everyone they did an equally great job and everything about their game is a beautiful snowflake just the way it is we'd be doing a tremendous disservice to all contestants.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 7, 2017

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
I'm having trouble understanding what you want to see the Gong Show do differently without pushing the judging process out to three weeks while we wait for each judge to scrutinize each game so that they can accurately 100% represent each game's positives during the Show.

The entire point of it is to demo each game in a harsh environment. It's supposed to be a for-fun stream where your games are critically picked apart as if it was a for purchase product. That's the whole gimmick.

I mean we could go back to the days before we had the judges in each block to act as game ambassadors where every game is just a repeat of the "No Call Men" dumpster fire segment from the first Gong Show. To put a clear line of separation between judging and the Gong Show.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Why is this so black & white?

This is a very defensive post coming from you, it reads like someone who doesn't want to admit that maybe their format kinda sucks in some situations or has limits.

"If we told everyone they did an equally great job and everything about their game is a beautiful snowflake just the way it is we'd be doing a tremendous disservice to all contestants."

Like where is this coming from? This was never a part of any of the discussion so far. If that's what you're taking away from my gong show format criticism then I'm extra frustrated.

That was not a response to any of your posts (and was posted before your last post so I'm a bit confused.)

I guess what I'm doing a poor job of saying is this:

The Gong Show will always be the Gong Show. There are games that do well and games that do poorly. It hinges on judges being good game ambassadors and knowing enough about the game to push me toward the interesting bits I would normally miss.

It's far from perfect: We miss things, judge's personal tastes can get in the way, I can get tired and crabby 4 hours into a stream, etc. But it does what it was designed to do, a for-fun stream just for laughs and educational value.

Games "without mass appeal" actually do quite well on the Gong Show, the games that really get shafted are those with heavy text & slow pacing, we readily admit this during the stream and encourage viewers to go download the game to play it for themselves. It's just a short-coming of the format.

It would help me understand what you're trying to suggest more if you used examples or situations, because if you just say "Some games don't get the time they deserve on the Gong Show." All I can say is that we will try to do better next year.

JossiRossi posted:

Ultimately, the Gong Show is just one way to present a jam's entries. We've settled on the current format after numerous streams and jams, and I think it does "as well as it can" for the most part. Any presentation will be flawed in one way or another, or at least have different strengths.

That all said, if you have complaints you feel won't be addressed you can do your own showcase, we want these games seen, so more showcases is a good thing.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 7, 2017

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Gunzil posted:

I agree. Like it or not, the gong show as it stands is the canonical showcase for awful jam entries.

We don't like that it's this way, since Gong Show was never meant to be a "showcase" and are working toward getting more exposure for submitted games on other popular streams.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hammer Bro. posted:

a cyberpunk goose: Reading back through (what currently exists) of your recent posts, I think what you're advocating for would be better judge feedback. I (and others appear to) believe that this is mutually exclusive from the benefits provided by the Gong Show, and perhaps have been hasty/dismissive in responding to your points as they were worded, though not as they may have been meant.

One of the biggest benefits of the Gong Show is getting feedback from a completely uninformed end user: JonTerp deftly fulfills the role of the unwashed masses and gives us unbiased feedback. As others have stated, this feedback is valuable because it's most representative of how 100% of the userbase would respond to these games were we intending to release them in the wild.

The things you're asking for are reasonable and I think most of us would agree with them, except for their inclusion as part of the Gong Show. Of course we'd like someone to spend some time discussing the merits and failures of our game even if those failures would normally be offputting. We'd like some amount of effort put into analyzing and responding to these games because of the effort we put into them, even if the analysis itself may be initially painful. But I'd argue that's for the judges and the community to do: if Jon gets information in advance or even too much prompting then his feedback becomes tainted.

I actually make an effort to see as little Gong Show as possible and to avoid reading reviews about any of the games I haven't played, because it prevents me from providing this specific form of genuine feedback to those games in the future: you only get one first impression, and as someone with vague fantasies of eventually releasing a thing to the public, unbiased first impressions are extremely valuable.

How many of these AwfulJams have you participated in? I think another part of the problem is that we're picking up the statements that you're making and carrying them to their general conclusion, but not communicating any of the steps along the way that historically result in these opinioned responses.

I agree with your entire post. it'd be nice to have another team with streaming / video production / talking head experience to produce something like the Octojam showcase is but for Awful Jams. I'm hoping getting some YouTubers / Streamers involved helps to that end. Or it could just produce more Gong Show like content, I guess we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

nolen posted:

Neat! Is this schedule posted somewhere and am I just missing it on the site?

There's no streaming schedule, we play it by ear going by the judge's schedules. Keep an eye on Twitter.

Currently we want to stream the judging stuff on Sunday.

• Locked thread