Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I'm going to try again this year to make a game and avoid the eternal hunger of the Wall of Shame. I would also like to encourage everyone to join in. If you have any interest in trying to make a game, this is a good opportunity! Lots of people like you will be making games; they will ask questions and learn things and laugh at each others terrible bugs.

Horrible, awful bugs. Plus there may also be people who know how to make decent or good games participating, so you can ask them questions like "how the gently caress does this even happen?" or "why do all my game objects fall through the world".

Similarly if you like playing bad games or watching other people play bad games, this thread and the Gong Show that follows will be your ticket to much amusement. There are often at least a few actually cool good games that show up too, like Let's Up or that one game with Llamas on the moon or that other game where you fly with a jet pack to rescue cats I think?

Lastly, I will offer a Bounty: if you make the game I like the most I'll send you a key for a copy of a Humble Freedom Bundle (if you have a multi-person team, you all figure out how to split it I'm not your dad or anything):

code:
The Witness
Stardew Valley
Subnautica (Early Access)
Day of the Tentacle Remastered  
Overgrowth (Early Access)
Nuclear Throne
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Invisible, Inc.
Super Meat Boy
World of Goo
Mushroom 11
No Time to Explain Remastered
The Stanley Parable
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Super Hexagon
VVVVVV
Information Doesn't Want To Be Free - Audiobook
Walkaway: Chapter One Preview - Audiobook
R in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition
Guacamelee!
Super Turbo Championship Edition
The Swapper
Thirty Flights of Loving
Spirits
Human Resource Machine
ROCKETSROCKETSROCKETS
The Boys Vol. 1: The Name of the Game - Issues #1-6
A Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stuff - Collectible book of short fiction, essays, and poems
The Smart Girl's Guide to Privacy: Practical Tips for Staying Safe Online - Violet Blue
Any Empire
2064: Read Only Memories
A Virus Named TOM
7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat      
Mini Metro
Retro Game Crunch
Tower of Guns
Waking Mars
Song of the Deep 
Monster Loves You!
AI War: Fleet Command
Sproggiwood
Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora - Deluxe
Secrets of Rętikon
Girls Like Robots
Ellipsis
Streamline (Early Access)
Ninja Pizza Girl
Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball
Color Sky - Album  
Guns of Icarus Online
Q.U.B.E.: Director's Cut
Rituals
Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble
Super Galaxy Squadron EX
TIMEframe
JumpJet Rex
Potatoman Seeks the Troof
Hands-On Intro to Game Programming
Ballistick
GRAV (Early Access)
Team Indie
Luna's Wandering Stars
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
Chroma Squad
Shütshimi
Dusty Revenge: Co Op Edition
Beat Hazard Ultra
Double Fine Adventure
That's a lot of stuff! Your game doesn't have to be the best, maybe it just makes me laugh or something, so anyone could theoretically win this prize! Pretend I am a fickle Greek god and submit a game in the hopes that I will smile upon you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

awesomeolion posted:

Getting design input from a friend or the musician doesn't sound like a big deal to me. Spirit of the law not the letter sort of thing.

More flesh for The Wall I say. :black101:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tube posted:

Yeah, and I doubt it would be a problem, but it's not "my" art technically. I used to steal art from elsewhere like crazy, because I can't be bothered to do all my sprites by hand, but that was back when Shalinor had a hand in things, I think. Just wondering about the degree of permissibility under the current rules.

I mean, there's got to be a line somewhere. I have the original sprite sheets from the arcade version of Dig-Dug, for example, but I wouldn't expect to be allowed to use them.

:shrug: Freely available assets are out there that are quite good, I think it's more about following the theme and spirit of the jam generally.

Or hell just make a game where you throw perpetually growing tires at zombies. :unsmigghh:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dankey Kang is original content, developed by Wintendo.

Gonna have to think about the theme a bit at work today.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Legendary Zorldo: Lunk's Rising

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 7, 2017

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boom shaka laka.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Afal posted:

Today's progress:

Haven't got a name yet. Annoyed Buzzards? Irate Pigeons? Why The Hell Is That MSPaint Bird Wearing MSPaint Dungarees?

Furious Flappers

Day 2: I settled on an idea and spent a little time learning the game engine I'm going to work in (Defold) and making a sprite for the player:

At the speed I'm currently making art assets I will have maybe two enemies ready by the end of the jam :ohdear: Still, I'm starting to get the hang of Marmoset Hexels.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 11, 2017

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

EntranceJew posted:

https://twitter.com/EntranceJew/status/884145374432301057

every time i always get tripped up over the same junk

goal GOAL GOAL GOAL

Supernorn posted:

I've been working on some art assets while Awesomeolion and TheOrange do actual game dev coding magic.

Sneak Peek:

Dang this looks good.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 3: Put my ship into the game and configured basic controls from just the tutorials up and down to more complicated 8-directional movement. Nice to have the ship flying around in their space placeholder:

Tomorrows docket: hookup a game object for some projectile spawning from the player. Got a few basic projectile types ready: 1 orb and 3 colors of lasers.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 11, 2017

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 4: Got projectiles in my game and spawning when you press to fire.

Forgot to arrange them ahead of background objects. :doh:

Tomorrow I may focus on making art assets for an enemy ship to use.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 6: In every great story, there must be a foe. My video game has one now too.

Tomorrow I shall make it spawn, shoot, kill and die. I will be as a god to these poor objects.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 7: Added my enemy to the game, rigged up the projectile script to change direction based on who is shooting. Then I got gutsy and decided to try and add some movement real quick before going to bed.

:thunk: Seems to be moving, good enough.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I was using Haxe + OpenFl and ran into some performance issues w.r.t. physics. I understand box2d is quite fast but for some reason the Haxe port is slow :(. There is a box2d alternative for Haxe called Nape but the debug draw sometimes crash when objects are out of bound so I didn't bother.

I switched to Unity now and boy do I love the 2D improvements. I've got moving and shooting working and I've started to program the path finder.

I love the creepy eyeball flower thing.

Also how did the GoonCam overlay get carried into the capture? :psyboom:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 8: Not much graphically to show, but I laid out more design information on various projectile interactions and types. Tomorrow I plan to get the basics up and running with a single projectile.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 9: This is how lasers work. Trust me.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 11: I have decided to change a core mechanic and as a result needed a new player model. The concept will be an alien eating projectiles to shoot back at spaceships, the more you eat the bigger you get. This is where I'm at.

Why does a space alien have 4 eyes, 2 tentacles for thrusters and a lime green mouth? :shrug:

Going to try to spend less time tomorrow on art and more time on actual game logic, but we shall see.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flawless if you ask me.

Hooked up some basic logic and updated my player sprite accordingly; going to have to devote serious time over this coming weekend to hammer out the basic gameplay instead of loving around with weird oddities if I want to have a finished product by jam end though. So far fairly impressed by the Defold game engine, for a basic 2D game engine it works fairly efficiently.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't remember what day it is anymore since the start of the jam, but I have progressed?

:shrug: More objects seems like a sort of progress.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tube posted:

Isn't this basically just the Defold tutorial with a few extras added? I'm sure you'll change out more of the graphics as you go, of course, but I'm curious as to where it's headed.

Make your bullets bigger. Also, differentiate between your bullets and the enemies'.

The Defold Side Scroller template was the starting point this was based on and a few of the assets (background / planets and score counter at this point) remain as placeholders while I rig up the mechanics that aren't clearly visible yet. I was originally going to go with a concept like Gunstar Heroes or Kirby where you get different weapons in this case by eating the projectiles, but I've opted to change that to just absorbing projectiles and then firing them back. It's a bit hard to tell in the gif because I haven't set up an "absorbing" animation for the player or a display for the number of projectiles absorbed. though if you watch the player model near the end of the gif you can see it reduce in size as it empties out of bullets.

I think I may end up making all enemy projectiles a shade of red and all player projectiles a shade of blue; I still want to add a couple different types like lasers / rockets as well. I feel like it doesn't fit the theme very well though, as the only thing "bootleg" about it is the absorption mechanic letting you steal projectiles. :(

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

a cyberpunk goose posted:

behind schedule, pray for mojo

I'm following the truest schedule:

Yep, everything's going fine. :haw:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

:kimchi: That's awesome.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Going to throw in the towel this go round and feed the Wall; it was nice to try a new game engine and art tools out though. Looking forward to playing the other games, the Rocket League bootleg looks really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I may have been consumed by the Wall of Shame this year, but there were a ton of great games out this go 'round. Kudos to anyone who completed a game, no matter how it turned out; landing the right mix of fun and challenge and art and theme can be difficult, but hopefully you enjoyed the experience.

Now then, I offered up a Bounty...

Mo_Steel posted:

Lastly, I will offer a Bounty: if you make the game I like the most I'll send you a key for a copy of a Humble Freedom Bundle (if you have a multi-person team, you all figure out how to split it I'm not your dad or anything):

That's a lot of stuff! Your game doesn't have to be the best, maybe it just makes me laugh or something, so anyone could theoretically win this prize! Pretend I am a fickle Greek god and submit a game in the hopes that I will smile upon you!

My pick is Bootlegs by Team Poot n Toot

This game is mechanically simple: you go right and avoid obstacles and see how far you get. For me though, it hit a real sweet spot between challenging and enjoyable. The jumping is forgiving enough that the obstacles never feel impassable, and you don't lose right away with a single mis-step like other harder but similar games (QWOP, Happy Wheels, etc.), but difficult enough that I wanted to replay it a number of times and see how far I could get. Add some objectives, daily challenges, leaderboards, different models and enemies / obstacles and I could easily see this as a fun mobile or indie game for sale. Stylistically, this game gave me a huge LocoRoco vibe. I caught myself almost immediately smiling at the character and the enemies.

I've sent nolen a PM with the key link for the bundle. Definitely stick with it if this interested you: build on this game, or if you have another idea you want to try I'd love to see you go for it.

• Locked thread