Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

JonTerp posted:

* People that only produce audio files for your game Do not count toward your team member limit (IE: Musicians, Voice Actors, Yodelers)

Hey, can I request a small amendment to this rule? I've got a team of two programmers and an artist so far, and im messaging a musician who I might potentially be able to get to join my team. I've had talks with him about game design and development, and he's super interested in doing some game design himself. However, I've just realized that the rules as written mean that it would technically be violating the letter of the rules for him to design a puzzle, or a level, for the game we'd be working on, because he'd be producing non-music stuff.

Could you amend the rule so that people who only contribute game design, and do no code, or art, don't count towards the team limit either? It would be super appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Tube posted:

You're the one who has to abide by the rules. Nobody's checking up on you. If you think it sounds fishy (which you clearly do) don't do it.

Yeah, totally. That's the rules and for me to have a musician as current do design I'd be breaking them, which I won't do. That's why I'd personally like the rules to be slightly different. But:

ALFbrot posted:

While you're at it, my team already has three, and I know a sick coder who wants to help out and write about half of our code, but he plays guitar, so could he not count, either?

If there are concerns about team creep, and about game design being a significant and time consuming task that needs to be part of core, then fair enough. While it would be nicer for me if things were different, this isn't my game jam.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
My team has been brainstorming. We are definitely doing a first person platformer. Our current theme we are considering is, well:

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
Day 3: Working 3d camera movement, and almost working jumping. Also are artist has been working on our boss destroyed splash banners:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 10, 2017

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
Day 4/5 progress:

quote:

Yes, indeed... it is called legsric... where the transitory lands of the lords of footwear converge... in venturing north... the pilgrims discover the truth of the old words... the laces untie... and the lords go without sponsors...

when the link of lace is threatened, the bell tolls... unearthing the old lords of footwear from their graves... The glass slipper, saint of the ice... boothead's undead legion, soccerwatchers... and the reclusive lord of the leather capital, bob the cobbler... only in truth, the lords will abandon their sponsors... the shoehands will rise... nameless, accursed barefeet, unfit even to be store attendants, and so it is... that boot seeketh butt...

My tentative plan is to draw really badly in mspaint a bunch of stuff, and have the camera pan over it, while i very badly voice act those lines, for the opening cutscene of the game. It's going to be terrible / glorious.

Also, unhappy with default unity character controller, i reworked the collision code so that the player is a cube. It took me a while, and multiple attempts, but I -think- i have working collision movement, which makes me very happy. Of course the sacrifice for this is the player can't walk on anything but perfectly flat ground... But who needs anything but perfectly flat ground?

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

anothergod posted:

What's a bootleg?

I really like the look of this.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
My teams other programmer just got our "introduction to an area cutscene" working.

http://i.imgur.com/bAOey0J.mp4

edit: That is our testing room for checking if mechanics are working, not an actual level.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 21, 2017

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
e: failed upload image.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 27, 2017

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
What I asked my teams artist to draw: A statue with an open mouth that can shoot projectiles from the mouth.
What I expected: A cute, small statue, in bright, strong colors.
What I got:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
Sleep is for the finished. I am going to be awake for the next 19 hours and fifty two minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
Well, im throwing my hat in. I mean, I could submit what I have... but its such a poo poo show I don't want to waste people's time. Wall of shame for I it is!

Moral of the story kids: Don't make ambitious plans to make a first person 3d platformer and then catch a massive cold for the second half of the jam.

Ahh, it feels bad to waste the art though...

• Locked thread