Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Goddamn all your games looking super sick already, I haven't even started!

Afal: Ruffled Feathers

Typical: goddamn looks amazing! Lovely lighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Shoehead posted:

awesome stuff

Wow this looks really great! I wish I could draw like you.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Hi! jo and I managed to submit a game last night whey!

http://www.awfuljams.com/awful-summer-jam-2017/games/super-gargle-blaster

Goddman having a fulltime job sure makes jamming harder! It was fun working with my irc buddy jo on a game though :)

I can't wait to play all your games, gonna start when I get home today, some of them look awesome.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Some words about the 12 most recently-submitted games. I'll do the next 12 tomorrow! Good job everyone who entered a game, I've really enjoyed checking these out.

BootQuake by Team Stimpire
Please add a download link to the jam page!

Smash Boyz by Team Krell!!!!

Goddamn Krell's games are always a treat and this one was no exception. The intro was incredible and the music really adds to it all. I love the idea of the game and you really pulled it off.

The scrolling background looks really good, the fighting animations are super good, I particularly love the juice on the kill move and how it does splash damage. Several times I found myself grinning ear-to-ear. Decent amount of variety in the gameplay and it always got switched up before I got bored.

Highlight: The animations on the character select screen. The awesome boss-fights and animations.

Headphone Hero by Team ChickinWings
Please add a download link to the jam page!

PUNCH FIGHT 7: BOOT TO THE HEAD by TEAM PUNCH FIGHT

I love the concept for this game, the stories of developers putting into fuckyous to the people who crack their games are always funny. I enjoyed driving around and going for long-jumps in the car and the visuals are incredible. I didn't get on too well with the puzzles though and got stuck in one of the rooms.

Highlight: I don't know how much of this is stock UE4 stuff but the models and visuals everywhere were fantastic. The lighting looked lovely and the UI was very polished.

Smash-em Randal by TeamTime000
Well done for finishing a game alone in the time limit. I dig the idea of the multiple characters traversing the level in different ways depending on your abilities. Unfortunately I gave up getting the final ending because the platforming was extremely frustrating. I've seen people go through a similar thing with trying wrangle a 2d physics engine into doing what you want it to in a platformer. Come hangout in irc or post in the thread if you need help or get stuck!

Highlight:: That's crate!

SUPER MEGA 256-IN-1 by SEXY LOCAL TEAM IN YOUR AREA
I'd forgotten about these compendiums! I remember having a few as a kid now. Great bootleg renditions of old games, I particularly liked the sonic bones one. I didn't manage to discover all the hidden secrets but it's cool that the games link together. Also you have the best team name.

Highlight: The weird after-vision effects from staring at the lines all the time.

BOOTLEGS by poot n toot
Wow! I love a good physics platformer and this one really made mee smile. When I lost my first leg I totally didn't see it coming (didn't read the title screen) and it was amazing! I love how the game changes as you lose legs and you can end up in some really cute-looking configurations. Excellent music and environments to go with the funny physics and concept. And good work making it a web-game!

Highlight: snakeboots

Red Planet IV by Missing Sentinel Software
I love a pico-8 game! Makes me want to use it for the next jam I do. The music here is incredible and I love the aesthetic. I don't really get how it fits the theme but I didn't get past the second level so I may have missed something.

Highlight: awesome music, thanks for putting out a soundtrack!

Crazy Smuggler by Another Thing Named Colbert
I never managed to survive a full round of this with money to spare! The traffic is brutal. I loved driving around at speed and watching the traffic though. Cool village environment and I liked the effects on drinking the booze.

Highlight: Sometimes it seemed like all the drivers were drunk! I bet traffic is a tricky thing to code though :)

Soul Castle by Chroma Inc
This game looks great, the character animations are superb! I found it a bit too difficult and it was annoying to repeat the sections due to how slowly the character moves and attacks. The music is pretty sweet and I hope Jonterp is better at it than I so i can see more of the game.

Highlight: I love the way the orange skellies jump around and throw bones, good job putting life into them!

The Booze Barn by Some Brothers Studios
Lovely music and environments. I started to feel for the character with the nice dialogue. I like how with the game's mechanics you caused the upgrades to work as helpers in your problem areas but making it not-too-tricky to get the maximum score in each game.

Highlight: Actual learning about the booze-brewing process!

Awful Runners
Sailing games really appeal to me and this one's really nice. The ambience in particular is really great. I had some fun sailing around and getting rich! Sometimes I found is hard to see how fast I was going, it would have been nice to have some watery ripples or something to get some perspective.

Highlight: Navigating on a map without yourself as an arrow on it is great! I am absolutely awful at it though!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Angry Minion Bird And Shrek by Team Afal
Team Afal is another one of those teams with a great style I always look forward to. This one had me grinning in multiple places, you did an awesome job. Excellent theme-adherence and I've grown fond of your art style.

I'm a fan of the dumb long distance stupid explosion games and this was a fun one. I may have missed out on some of the upgrades because my third game after bombs went a bit infinite and got me all the way to the next minigame. I did replay a bit at the end and checked out the extra mechanics, awesome job with the real(?) online leaderboard.

Oh poo poo the next game though. No spoilers but I'm so glad someone referenced that aspect of bootleg games in this. jo and I looked into them a bit but... decided not to haha. Overall perfect game for a jam and you should be very proud (parent)

highlight: I loved the ending credits, that's a recent internet joke that I took a liking too. I'm sad you didn't get a chance to make it longer!

Thriftynauts by The Dapper Spendthrifts
This game is pretty rad! I love the ambience and setting you went for and the idea of upgrading your ship and turning space junk into random items is awesome. I found myself picking up so much junk and it was hard to work out what the base wanted the I soon just had so much stuff and every time I went to the base a random item flew out of it. I feel like with a bit better balance and UI to show what's going on this could have been a real gem.

highlight: The bespoke sound-effects!

Juice by ok hand emoji
Lovely pastiche of various games, plays well and pretty juicy! I really love that you have a custom death animation for each weapon, that's a really nice touch. The music fades between areas are brilliant. Not much variation in the gameplay but it ended way before it got old.

highlight: cool and simple pixel death animation, I'll be stealing that!

I'm gonna try to get the web export for my game working now, all these web games are putting me to shame!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I gotta head out tonight but I managed to play another one at work today!

Kurm Frog Teach ABC by Team Punch The Moon
Great theme adherence, the visuals and music are extremely cute. I love the bootleg versions of the characters and ominous warnings of the end. The gameplay was alright and the minigames very varied enough that it didn't start getting old at all by the end. I like that the final boss felt like a bit of a mix of the minigames that came before it.

highlight: evil big bird!

I'm gonna see how long I can stay up for. Hopefully I can catch the whole gong show. Dang timezones.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Giggs posted:

lovely gargle blaster review

Thanks for playing Giggs! You made some good points, the headlights in particular are a great idea. Good work on beating the game.

Also mad props for playing and reviewing (almost) all the games! I got half way and need to try to finish them all. I wish we could leave reviews under the games, would make the process a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Afal posted:

uh... hm... it looks like only one person has submitted for the "guess the judges picks"... I guess Tann is the winner of Glittermitten Grove. All of the predictions might be totally wrong but who cares?

Twist: if I get none correct, I have to buy it for you!

• Locked thread