Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Some impressive looking stuff so far. Time to poo poo things up a bit!
I've only spent one day effectively working so far, but I should have more time the coming week to earn my place on the wall of shame.
I've got the basic movement done, some lovely tiles and... uh this title screen:

(It's supposed to be Batman confused with Spider-Man by way of Superman for the NES - the Simpsons vibe is entirely unintentional :ughh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

accidentally made something that looks like it could have actual strategy in it, sorta

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/888296460550152192

This looks like an actually fun variation of space Invaders entirely original game concept! You should should throw some bad jokes in there, create an obnoxious trailer and put it on steam for 1.99.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

These gifs turned out a little slow an choppy, but this is starting to feel like a proper Batman game.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Forer posted:

Mehrio game

This is fun. I guess we're gonna see a lot of "old game but with phisics", not that I mind at all.
Btw is it intentional that you can crawl on the ceiling?

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

So do the games only uploaded to awfuljams only show up once the jam is officially over?

Anyway, I'm done. Had to rush more than I wanted, but I won't have a lot of time tomorrow so here's a lovely platformer for your amusement:

http://www.awfuljams.com/awful-summer-jam-2017/games/bat-man-and-the-sacred-stones

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Afal posted:

Ah, it's that time of the jam where everyone complains about the submission form because the upload section is highly optimised to induce huge amounts of anxiety, and at least one person a year forgets to click what platform their game is for.

Anyway, instead of using the last few days to polish my game I've decided to submit early because thinking about this game for Yet Another Day is too much :effort: and I'd rather be done with this garbage toilet nightmare.

So, I present: Angry Minion Bird And Shrek: Got To Get Home On Time Videogame For Kids

Play Now!!!

I get a fatal error on startup:

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Windows 8 64bit

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Afal posted:

Well great, I have no idea then. It also seems as though gamemaker forums/subreddits doesn't know either. I have no way of testing this either because all the people who have tested this so far has had it work.

And since I've already submitted I have no idea if it will run for any judge or the gong show. Great.

Well if it's only me so far you might be fine. I'm also more paranoid of something like that happening to my game now.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Doom Goon posted:

I don't know much about Batman games but I found the thin veneer of graphic replacement pretty convincing of a bootleg (where usually a main character is replaced and maybe one or two other things. But anything else is glossed over). It wasn't too long or too hard and there were a few fun jumps and things. It did get kind of laggy and the climbing controls were sticky but nothing big! Short and sweet.
Yeah, originally I wanted Batman to be able to climb around corners, similar to the spiderball in Metroid, but that's hard to get right. So with the deadline in mind I had to settle for what I thought was "good enough". A bigger problem is that, when you play with a keyboard and press three keys at once, one key often won't register, so that will cause some problems at the worst possible moments. (Which means it's particularly unfortunate that I didn't get gamepad support in :thumbsup: and I don't suppose many people will bother using something like Xpadder for a ten minute game.)

I see you had some of the problems that I mentioned above, but you did really well, so that's a relief. The songs were mostly taken from various C64 games (credits are in the readme). For some reason, the first song of the first batman game I tried starts out with the spiderman theme :psyduck:. I took that as a sign that I was on the right track. There was some MacGyver in there too for some reason, but I didn't use that in the game.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

This is a fun little game. I thought the length and difficulty was just right. I agree with Doom Goon that it feels a bit like a spectrum or C64 game. The level design reminds of some old arcade adventures, except the game world isn't as big (obviously) and it's less obscure, which is good. Two things that bothered me a little were enemies turning invincible (which you already mentioned) and getting hit in midair could send you all the way into another screen. Not a big deal though. The fact that this is an actual NES game that runs on a real NES...emulator (I used nestopia) is worth all the bonus points.

Shoehead posted:

https://shoehead.itch.io/dum

Got it done some time before midnight my time and immediately went to bed, but here's the public version! Submitted it with a possibly game breaking bug, oh no!

I'm not a huge fan of this type of shooter, so I can't say too much about the gameplay. I think the crosshair could have moved a little faster and in windowed mode, it's easy to accidentally click outside of the window and minimize it. Other than that it plays fine, and there's a decent variety of weapons and enemy types. The graphics are fantastic! The sprites look great and all the little details (blood, explosions etc.) feel just right, even the options menu looks slick as hell. The same goes for the sound. I was gonna say this is super polished, but I did indeed run into a gamebraking bug :v:

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I didn't get a screenshot and I don't know when it happened exactly. I just played again until I got a game over and everything was fine.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Shoehead posted:

You didnt end up with a shadow flashing on the ground did you?

I don't remember, sorry.
Man, there are a lot of games I wanna try, but I probably won't get to until friday.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

So I just finished watching the gongshow. I'm glad you like BatHyphenMan or at least got a chuckle out of it. The guns give you extra lives, obviously! I thought it would be a bootleggy thing to do, to just use a completely inappropriate graphic like that. But since you really have infinite lives, it really doesn't matter anyway. I didn't have time to put a gun counter into the HUD, because I used the last hour or so to throw together the last two stages. And "fix" some bugs. (And by fix I mean, disabling continues and getting a game over). I wanted to get a proper last boss fight in there, but again, there wasn't enough time left. It was still pretty funny that you killed it with no lives and one HP remaining.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Giggs posted:

I've some more game thinks:

Bat-Man and the Sacred Stones
What a neat, enjoyable little package. This game is full of funny moments, it has varied enemies, good music selection and art. The web slinging mechanic is really tight and feels great. There are secret areas, or at least areas one wouldn’t think to go looking for hidden around the place. It’s so cool! Mashing up Batman, Spiderman and Superman is a great idea and fits the theme so well. The bosses are also well done, tight like early megaman bosses with patterns to learn. poo poo. So good. The only negative component to this game is the respawning on death during a boss fight. While I was fighting croc I was holding space and up, and died. When I respawned I pulled myself right into the spikes on the left side of the screen. This is a good game. Good job!

Nate405 posted:

Bat-Man:
I liked the traversal mechanics a lot. It was an engaging puzzle to figure out how to combine the web grappling hook with wall climbing to move around.
The web shooter gun and enemies felt a little tacked on and could be fleshed out more in some way.

Thanks for your feedback. Respawning is rough. I wanted to make some last minute changes, but then there were more pressing things to take care of first. I'm just glad it doesn't cause outright bugs, as far as I know. Nate405, I'm not sure what you mean by tacked on, but yeah, the enemies are very simplistic. The knife throwing punks ended up being far less dangerous than I intended and there's not as much variety as I wanted. With more time, I would have made a few enemies that can survive a few shots. As it is, I had to nerf the webshot thingy by limiting its range and only allowing one projectile on screen at a time.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Ah, I see, that makes sense. And yeah, the sewer entrance wasn't intuitive at all. I was pleasantly surprised that Hammer Bro and Jon figured that out as quickly as they did. (BTW, I'm sorry I'm only talking about my own game. I've played a few more, but they've all been reviewed a few times already and I have nothing new to add.)

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Maybe it's just the flu, but I'm too dumb for this one...

The new passing mechanic is awesome!

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

drat. I died just before finishing that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Congrats to everyone!
If anyone cares, I'm like 99% sure I'll expand Bat-Man a bit. Not too much, maybe something like five or six stages with as many bossfights, plus some other fixes and tweaks.

Nate405 posted:

I've gotten a few comments on that. I probably should have found some way to break it down into another puzzle that introduces the concept more clearly before getting to that one.

If you're curious, here is the intended solution: https://gfycat.com/RigidBelatedBats

Yeah, that's pretty much what I tried, but I always got my attacker stuck, so I thought I might be overlooking something obvious. I did solve it pretty much immediatley after posting that image, although I let four guys defend and just squeezed through somehow.

• Locked thread