Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Xibanya of Team Dogpit reporting for jam hype duty. Looks like I'll be teaming up with ApproachingInfinity and megane again, and this time I swear I'm not gonna overscope it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Hammer Bro. posted:

I hope the Spirit of the Jam is an actual ghost :allears:

Looking forward to the announcement.

p sure I was informed that if you are possessed the malign spirit profaning your spiritual essence counts towards your team member total. :ghost:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Shoehead posted:

As long as said spirit doesn't alter any code or assets its ok

Wish I could find it (it may have been in the SAgamedev slack that no longer exists) but I remember JonTerp personally telling me that the evil spirit possessing your corporal form counts a team member.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

JonTerp posted:

I can confirm I did say this and is still a standing rule. Even if you are possessed by the Spirit of the Jam.

:ms:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Day One Progress Report:

• lay on the floor
  • tried not to overscope
  • overscoped a lot

:supaburn:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Day 2

It is like The Sims if you could only buy two items, couldn't rotate the play space, and nothing happened!

And starting to put in some menus. Some effort on making neato graphics, the rest kinda :effort:

ApproachingInfinity and megane were busy today, but I can't wait to see what we get done once we're all in full jam mode!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Day 3:

I made a spreadsheet:

Also, Team Dogpit had a pizza party. Literally. I have not written a line of code today. But I did eat some tasty pizza with the squad!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
https://twitter.com/manuelaxibanya/status/884681346844688384

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Day 6:

I'm exhausted, so I'm just gonna repost my status report from the discord

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Day 7:
Got the stack processing/crafting logic in! Now to make time move forward and make the doodads that allow the player to automate processes. ApproachingInfinity hard at work on saving/loading. We should have the basic game loop working this weekend.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Day 8:

The combined efforts of me and megane have yielded beautiful menu-y fruit:

I did a lot of nuts and bolts stuff on the backend too, including hooking up different machines so you can have an automated assembly line. When advancing time manually it works great! ApproachingInfinity is working on the saving/loading and time processing element, and I think tomorrow we may have the basic game up and running!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I feel good about my game; gonna give it a few more hours playtesting when I get home from work tomorrow (today) but I think it's ready for prime time. I'm pretty stoked, I think this is my best game yet! :buddy:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Team Dogpit presents

https://teamdogpit.itch.io/simshine

The first jam where I wasn't in a complete panic at the end! I finally learned how to appropriately scope a game! :toot: Now I'm exhausted so I haven't got much more to say for now. :effort: I'll be back later with words.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Hammer Bro. posted:

Last one, I promise! (Because then I'm out of space until Saturday.)

SimShine. Also known as: I am bewildered!

https://vimeo.com/228316427

Hey there! I'm sorry you had a hard time with SimShine! I'd encourage you to give it another shot if you can stand it. In-game, if you go to the pause menu you'll find a button that says "How To Play." If you click that, you'll see a rather detailed Readme that I spent a few hours making for just your situation! You will also see a button that says Recipes -- click that to look up the recipes! I'll also look at making the tutorial a bit deeper.

When I was watching your video at times I wanted to scream because you had a hard time with things even our playtesters who weren't familiar with Factorio didn't have a hard time with -- but that may have been due to the smaller res. If the user can't figure it out, it's on me, so that was very useful feedback! ........I want to see you recording yourself playing 10 mins of Factorio's free mode. :unsmigghh: I'm not going to hide behind Factorio for all my screw-ups -- even if my game is inspired by it, it is different, and I'm ultimately responsible for any gameplay or design flaws SimShine has, but as far as the critique about the crafting stuff requiring committing some stuff to memory, that's not something you can get around in a crafting game.

Giggs, thanks so much for your thoughtful review! I've spent the past few days trying to think of a thoughtful response, I'll post it when I have it!

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 4, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Raujinn posted:

I mean that's kind of how I interpreted the reaction to mine after I'd gotten over the initial pain of it. I won't lie, it was pretty intense pain particularly as I had worked as hard I did. After that passed though, the question oriented to "but why did it go down the way it did" and I re-watched the footage, noting reactions to certain parts and what in particular seemed to cause the biggest problems.

So I've decided to spend a week post-jam trying to address as many of the problems as I can just to see if I have a better product at the end or not. It won't fix the problem at the games core if it was particularly unappealing idea to someone (I do wonder if even the aesthetics were an issue..) but it might teach me a few things and if at the end I have a more solid base I could go on to use it for something else. Ultimately, it was a play-test session for free and I got about as honest a reaction as I could ask for, which is valuable. If it's OK, I would like to post a link to it in here for some additional feedback when I've made the changes I've noted so far.

Before I say anything else, I want to say that I'm so grateful and humbled by the amount of time and patience the folks on the Gong Show gave my game; thank you so much!

I've been doing these jams since SAGDCX, making this my fifth jam in this community, and the feedback from the gong show has been so helpful because it has been pretty tough but also consistent. Additionally, I am not a gamedev in my day job so it's one of the only opportunities I have to get feedback on my game design skills on such a granular level.

I initially took a poor showing on the Gong Show pretty hard but instead of thinking "oh I suck, forget this jam," instead I got caught on "I'll show them!" Now every time I work on a game - any game, not just a jam game, I think "how can I JonTerp-proof this?" To me that means doing as much as I can to hook the player in the first ten minutes without frustrating them too much. This time I broke from that self-imposed rule when I intentionally made a game that requires more than ten minutes to really enjoy, but I did so with the awareness of how and why I was breaking my own rule. I can't say that I've ever been entirely successful at making a JonTerp-proof game, and perhaps never will be (he was "lucky" enough to stumble onto a SimShine bug by accident that I still haven't figured out how to make happen on purpose :shepface: ) but I can look at my older games and know that I have been entirely successful at being closer to that ideal with each successive game.

Oh yeah and I also demo my games IRL on the reg and that helps A LOT. In my city there's always at least one opportunity a month for local indies to showcase their games for free, so I try to hit up as many of those as possible. Check in your area and see if there's anything like that you can take advantage of! I have been trying to bring some of my games to commercial release and every time I demo at an expo or showcase, it feels like I get to have a do-over of the Gong Show. As for my first jam game, the one that got the reception I was so upset about, I've worked on it off and on since then and two months ago it was greenlit on steam and this past weekend I demoed it at an expo and it became the hit of the indie section, drawing crowds and people who would drag their friends and family over so they could try it.

I'm still not anywhere near as skilled a gamedev as a lot of the other folks in the SA gamedev community, but I'm a better one than I was, very much thanks to the tough critique of the Gong Show. That's my JonTerp-proofing story, thanks for listening :haw:

Edit: this weekend I also demoed SimShine a bit and a bunch of people needed my help to make it past the very first part of the tutorial. When the game tells you to look inside your Buy Crate to get the things you need and centers the camera on it, a lot of people -- people who like video games, since they paid to go to a game expo! -- would hover over the Buy Crate and never click it, therefore getting stuck. These people were not stupid, or at least, they didn't seem stupid. You just really cannot take anything for granted when it comes to getting people into your games. I knew SimShine wouldn't be for everyone, but before the expo I wouldn't have thought that I needed to say explicitly click on the Buy Crate to access its contents but now I do. Some people really took to it (one guy played it for like an hour and a half straight right there on the expo floor!) and I got some really great feedback, but one of my biggest takeaways was that even after having dealt with needing to massively overhaul the tutorial for Delenda Airlines post winter jam, I still have a lot more to learn about easing people into a new game. So that stuff JonTerp said:

JonTerp posted:

complex games that lack good design, which in the real world would get eaten alive by most game players.

is absolutely true and is if anything an understatement.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 7, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

a cyberpunk goose posted:

maybe having two categories of jam submissions, "experimental" and "polished", where you can evaluate a game more on the criteria for what it's going for instead of "is this a hyper polished sellable game", because I'm not very interested in making those and I really like this jam and want to see more people exploring interesting mechanics and ideas and getting hung up less on "JONTERP PROOF POLISH"

I think this jam's bent is on evaluating games as if they were destined for release, but if you want a goofy loosely run jam that is all about the silliness, I did such a jam this Spring and am doing another in the Fall so stick around. This Fall Dogpit jams is organizing a weeklong jam around two themes, accessibility and a theme that will be announced at jam start. The last Dogpit Jam, Games Vs Nazis, was a total blast and one of my favorite entries was one in which you smash panzers with a hot dog. So you should do that one! It's not in any way affiliated with Awfuljams but it has a lot of the same participants and it has a not-Gong Show stream that's run exactly like the real Gong Show except without literal references to gong-ing, so in a way your request has already come true! :yayclod:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 7, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
double post!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Dieting Hippo posted:

1) if you have additional instructions not available in-game or controls you want the player to reference, you get one index card to write it all on and place next to the PC.

:aaa: this is amazing, why didn't I think of it? I'm stealing this idea

As for your next point, I think some coaching is OK, it just depends on the context. One of my games is a rhythm game and often people feel self-conscious if they gently caress up so I've found encouraging them to keep going ("you're doing great!" "Now you've got it!") tends to result in better engagement, but that probably wouldn't work so well with like, an RTS.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Some attempt could be given to allot games to blocks based on the style of judging the judge goes for. For Jon I'd focus on assigning games that are clearly going for polish & raw execution for a first time experience (OVERREACH, the bootleg kr3w), for someone like IJ I'd assign Legs, SlimShine,

I'm not dismissing this idea or endorsing it, but speaking as someone who has done a Bootleg Gong Show (:haw:) this would be insane to do because of the logistics involved in setting up the stream. There's actually quite a lot of setup involved in having guests and having them all talk with acceptable audio levels and letting the guests see the host play without latency and then showing the commentary + game stream to the audience. It would only really be feasible if they all were in the same room, which, as you could imagine, would be difficult to arrange.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 7, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Dieting Hippo posted:

:toot: The first episode of Jamflix and Chill is up with EntranceJew, Giggs, TomR, and Xibanya! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBQ-yutopn0

It'll be live again tomorrow at 6 PM PST, check it out on https://twitch.tv/dietinghippo about then.

I'm so glad you kept in my fuckup where I dashed away from the computer to grab a beer :allears:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Ultigonio's remarks on the sound design of Punch Fight's game were the highlight of the block. Everybody go watch it.

Tonight I get to talk about SimShine, and Mihai Zetta will join too (he did all the voices.) watch the thing at 8CST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hooray, SimShine won....Best Narrative!! :confuoot:

To explain this win, I present this post mortem:

What went well: I bought ApproachingInfinity pizza.

Room for improvement: I did not buy megane pizza.

Conclusion: buy all your team members pizza for maximum category wins. I will test this hypothesis next Jam.

• Locked thread