Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Count me in.

I'll be looking for a team though: I can either do all of the programming for the Unreal Engine or I can do design and 3D Art for whatever other engine you guys want to use. The Unreal stuff is my speciality, I guess, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Reading this thread is incredibly inspiring, motivating, and yet somehow simultaneously intimidating.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
If you're looking for music to use, I found this Youtube channel of a music guy whose gimmick is bootleg-themed vaporwave music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0fiLCwTmAukotCXYnqfj0A No idea if he'd be cool with you using his tracks in your thing but it's worth a try if you want some music.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

I'm sitting at about 50/50 feeling like "yes! I did it! I'm gonna be able to finish the rest of this code no problem!" and "wait, i created a string input field but I have no idea how to make it actually clickable/typable, i'm going to die a failure on the wall of shame"

I'm also feeling like the Wall of Shame sounds like a good place for my hopes and dreams. I really need to spend a few hours mapping out how exactly all of these mechanics are going to be implemented.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
It's looking more and more like my partner and I are destined for the Wall of Shame, but we've already decided to keep working on it together after the jam so at least it won't be that hopeless of a situation for us. Our scope seemed to be too large for the amount of hours I have been able to invest into the programming, pretty much.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
The artwork for the stuff is done for the most part with me and my partner's attempt at a thing for this jam. I'm just working with the lovely programmer art to make the game mechanics work.

Here's a little bit of progress (was typing too fast for the framerate of the recording):

http://i.imgur.com/4XXOw7B.gifv

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

So, as the sound designer for Team PUNCH FIGHT, I have spent the last two or so weeks knee-deep in the learning process for UE4's blueprints. One recent challenge I had was that, when a bunch of boxes collided with one another, they would make their collision noises all at once and it was really terrible! In fact, they made so many collision noises at once that they had a nasty tendency of forcing my music tracks to restart, and I didn't want that. Unfortunately, UE4 is a bit different audio-wise compared to what I'm used to, so I found it a bit puzzling when I seemingly wasn't able to manipulate 3D sounds after they'd been played. After racking my brain for a few hours, I came up with this nugget in order to force collision sounds that were already playing to stop:

Given what coding experience I have in Game Maker (yes I know), I was 95% certain that attempting to call a sound that hadn't yet been defined would crash the game, but instead it worked exactly as intended. Wow!

FYI you can create a SoundCue thing in UE4 so that you can customize how many times a thing is allowed to play, randomize which sound is played from a list of things, etc etc. Might be worth looking into.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I am almost finished merging my dumb prototype UI with my partner's beautiful art work:

http://i.imgur.com/Loibq45.gifv

Still, this project won't be able to finish in time for the game jam but we'll still try to finish it eventually, at least.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 26, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Tube posted:

Spend a day making easily accessible level editing tools, release to the general public anyway. Congratulate yourself: You have now joined the elite ranks of many major game studios.

Side question: does releasing a game for a game jam qualify as one of those elusive "shipped titles" that I keep hearing about in job advertisements?

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Chernabog posted:

Thanks, I've been using steamboat Willie and other old cartoons as inspiration.

As a fun coincidence, I made something like that in my last game jam a few months ago (but with garbage programmer art). Not that I was being original, though. My thing was actually just a knockoff of one of my old favorite Newgrounds games: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/270585

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGgwjc5v-so

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 29, 2017

• Locked thread