Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've created precisely one game before (using a tutorial even, then building on top of it), so... I'll give this a shot, why not!

Will be flying solo though. That's allowed, right? I want to try to get a holistic view of gamedev for the first time around, even if it means really lovely programmer art and music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

And my weekend is already completed tied up with other obligations, during baby's first game jam :gonk:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Hammer Bro. posted:

I should really scope myself like I'm doing a one week jam. Which really means scoping myself like I'm doing a weekend jam with some time to polish.

I'm pretty much doing this. This weekend has unexpectedly been eaten up completely (I literally have zero time that isn't committed), so I'm already a little stressed about the time remaining. It's my first game anyway, so I'm just going to come up with a neat little fun mechanic that I can implement in a relatively short period of time, then spend the rest of the time on polish.

It might not be as big as games more experienced goons will do, but I'll be ecstatic if I can just finish something fairly simple and, hopefully, fun.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

:regd08:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Day 3 from Team Drone: you all already have art and animations and mockups, and I've only just finished my game design document :shobon: I'm a PM in my day job, so I've put a bit more work into scheduling and overall project planning out of habit, and it might just end up shooting me in the foot because of lost programming time.

I've budgeted up to today for my game design and planning (because of a packed weekend), the next 8 days for the main programming, after that art/music/polish.

I'm interpreting the theme a bit more literally than it might be meant, and will be doing a Prohibition-era game about rumrunning with maybe some cartoony elements, if my art skills are up to it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

That's not how boats are supposed to work you silly

Don't drink and make games at the same time.

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 10, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Giggs posted:

3. Pirate themed smuggling game, fighting through authorities to deliver goods (Could use alt setting like Canada/US border in the 80s, running cocaine through the forest a la Fire Walk With Me)

I'm doing something similar to this. The player is a fisherman-turned-rumrunner in 1920, bringing booze to the East Coast from Canada/Bahamas/Europe. I've got a neat resource management mechanic that I'm working on for it that I hope is actually fun and not total poo poo: the booze you have on board can be used as ammunition, at the cost of cutting your profits

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I had a couple beers last night and didn't feel great about getting -too- far with stuff while not really fully focusing on it. I spent a few minutes getting WASD inputs and then preventing the player model from moving off-screen or above the horizon:

Stuck in a workshop all day today, so my goal is to get some sprites for other boats done today, and to animate the sea so it's clear that the player ship is always sailing forward.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

alf_pogs posted:

urgh. due to the stress of a gone-missing pet and a surprise trip interstate, i haven't done much of anything at all! will i still be able to grind out even the meagre-est of games? i want to be in the hall of game, not the wall of shame

You've only lost a couple days and still have nearly 3 full weeks, so go for it. I only really just started scripting and basic placeholder pixels yesterday. Up until then it was mostly just brainstorming and putting together my design doc.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Let there be botes.

The NPC boats will need to be dodged (no, the player ship's sails don't count in the hitbox), while police boats will be aggressive and will fire at you. Hopefully I get those up and running today.

The player will have to weigh two options: either they can dodge through the civilian traffic, police boats, and fire from police boats until they reach the end of the level with a full load of booze in the ship's hold, OR they can use individual bottles of booze as ammunition to fire back at ships, thereby clearing their way and making the level easier. The tradeoff is that each bottle of booze fired out of the cannon will reduce the player's profit at the end of the "run".

There's also a barrel powerup floating along too, but I'm working on getting the spawner for it to work correctly (right now it only spawns the first one and then never repeats). Picking up floating barrels will very slightly replenish the ship's stock of booze, allowing for a player to take sortof a medium path between shooting everything and dodging everything.

I'm tinkering with the idea of also using cash as a resource for ammunition, which dips into the player's profits directly. Cash could be used against police boats (as a bribe), and booze could be used against civilian boats. Not sure if I like this yet or not.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 12, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Forer posted:

I also just had my first what I consider bug from logic.

Leave it, it's perfect.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Atarask posted:

Well here's a bit more done. and the difficulty selection screen.

Sprite sheet.

Despite trying to base them more on the EGA Trek Mongols than actual klinks... well they still look klinkish.

Difficulty selection. The red is getting nixed as it does distract from the actual selection buttons.

The not-Romulan, Tiberulan logo.

I get a bunch of FASA Star Trek / Star Fleet Battles vibes off of this and I love it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I had to give up this year. Found out some serious medical stuff in my immediate family that took up any time and energy I had for dev. Oh well, maybe next time.

I'll probably keep working on my little boat game at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Afal posted:

Well great, I have no idea then. It also seems as though gamemaker forums/subreddits doesn't know either. I have no way of testing this either because all the people who have tested this so far has had it work.

And since I've already submitted I have no idea if it will run for any judge or the gong show. Great.

I'm not a GM expert or anything, but the error message referring to dates before 1 January 1970 looks oddly like your game got hit with the Y2K bug. :v:

• Locked thread