Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

I'll be submitting a PC build for our game, so cleverly titled BOOTLEGS, tonight after work.

If you like cute spiders walking around in an un-fun game, with the option for un-fun two player battles, this is the game for you!

WebGL build located here, but you'll probably want a beefy computer with a modern browser if you expect it to run well:

http://www.nolentabner.com/projects/bootlegs/

It might have gamepad support? I haven't tested it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

TomR posted:

You're crazy if you think this game isn't fun! It's great!

Edit: You fall off the world if you go backwards at the start of the level.

Yeah there are a few bugs still lingering that might not get fixed before tonight. The left edge thing you mentioned, enemy spawns get funky, and when legs break off the spider, there is a piece that turns into a fidget spinner on accident.

Glad you like it though!

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

TomR posted:

FYI the web build of this seems to work on my tablet. You should put in touch screen control and get it on the app stores. I keep coming back to play this one.

I'll probably revisit this idea down the road for sure. Control scheme would work well on mobile probably.

I fixed the issues with the player falling off the level and rebalanced a few things based off feedback in this thread.

PC build ain't working though, so it'll be WebGL-only this year.

BOOTLEGS submitted! Enjoy, everyone :)

nolen fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 4, 2017

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Tann posted:

BOOTLEGS by poot n toot
Wow! I love a good physics platformer and this one really made mee smile. When I lost my first leg I totally didn't see it coming (didn't read the title screen) and it was amazing! I love how the game changes as you lose legs and you can end up in some really cute-looking configurations. Excellent music and environments to go with the funny physics and concept. And good work making it a web-game!

Highlight: snakeboots

Thanks for checking it out and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

The games this year all look really fun. I can't wait to check them all out tonight.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Yo, whoever had the idea of putting a gif as your banner image on the awfuljams page was a smartie.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
If our game is single and multiplayer, will you guys be playing both modes during the gong show?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Will there be an announcement when the judging is complete?

Are we supposed to expect any feedback from the judges on the AwfulJams site for our games or was that just from the Gong Show (which was great, btw)?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

TodPunk posted:

There's a stream of the judges discussing top picks. At the end of that, judging write-ups on the site are released to their devs. All games at least get a full examination from their judge even if they're not a top pick to make it to deliberation about category winners, and sometimes we discuss some games with other judges to get further feedback well before this stream.

Neat! Is this schedule posted somewhere and am I just missing it on the site?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Mo_Steel posted:

I may have been consumed by the Wall of Shame this year, but there were a ton of great games out this go 'round. Kudos to anyone who completed a game, no matter how it turned out; landing the right mix of fun and challenge and art and theme can be difficult, but hopefully you enjoyed the experience.

Now then, I offered up a Bounty...

My pick is Bootlegs by Team Poot n Toot

This game is mechanically simple: you go right and avoid obstacles and see how far you get. For me though, it hit a real sweet spot between challenging and enjoyable. The jumping is forgiving enough that the obstacles never feel impassable, and you don't lose right away with a single mis-step like other harder but similar games (QWOP, Happy Wheels, etc.), but difficult enough that I wanted to replay it a number of times and see how far I could get. Add some objectives, daily challenges, leaderboards, different models and enemies / obstacles and I could easily see this as a fun mobile or indie game for sale. Stylistically, this game gave me a huge LocoRoco vibe. I caught myself almost immediately smiling at the character and the enemies.

I've sent nolen a PM with the key link for the bundle. Definitely stick with it if this interested you: build on this game, or if you have another idea you want to try I'd love to see you go for it.

Wow! I was totally not expecting this. I'll redeem the bundle when I'm home tonight! Thank you so much and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed BOOTLEGS!

We will be expanding upon the game in the near future and hopefully releasing something on one of the many platforms out there :).

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Nate405 posted:

If anybody is interested, I've updated the public build of my entry, Naked Bootleg. I tried to smooth out some of the problems that were highlighted on the gong show. I've also added a passing mechanic, which can be seen in three new puzzles added to the end of the level select screen. Finally, several people mentioned that the game seemed suited to mobile, so I've included a first pass at an Android build. It works pretty well, although I will probably need to increase the size of everything a bit to make it more comfortable with touch controls.

Yesssss. This was one of my favorite entries from this year. I hope you see some success with the mobile build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Congrats to everyone who won!

I'm honored that BOOTLEGS won "Most Fun" and was even CONSIDERED for "Game of the Jam".

A much-deserved win for Kurm Frog Teach ABC, in my opinion.

Expect to see updates on BOOTLEGS over the coming months as we fix a lot of the issues (including camera and jump controls ;)) and release something on mobile!

• Locked thread