Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
This looks awesome. I've been attempting to teach myself Unity in the brief hours between work and sleep, and there's only so many tutorials I can do before I have to just sit down and make something. Here's hoping programmer art and sloppy craftsmanship are enough to prop up that shame wall.

I'm coming on solo, 'cause working weekends doesn't leave much time for collaboration. Just gotta think up a good team name and sketch a logo tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem

Lowen SoDium posted:

Humble Bundle store has Aseprite on sale for $11.99.

For anyone who wants a good pixel-art/sprite editing tool, it's a pretty good one.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/aseprite

You're an absolute hero.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem

SystemLogoff posted:

My system needed games, so here they are:

This is beautiful.

I spent some time after work building a background and sprites. This stuff takes goddamn forever when you're bad at art.

Day 1:
- Illegible notebook scrawling
- Made some sprites

If I can't get this to scale up y'all are buying CRTs.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem

Supernorn posted:

I've been working on some art assets while Awesomeolion and TheOrange do actual game dev coding magic.

Sneak Peek:

I love this.

Used another evening off to draw the rest of my ugly-rear end sprites. Next stop, Unity.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem
I'll turn off the looping jump after it stops making me laugh.

http://nesdev.com looks like it woulda been handy, but I'm all aboard the Unity train now. Progress progress progress.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem

Forer posted:

so I'm trying to maintain radio silence because I want people to be surprised by my game but I'm REALLY REALLY BAD AT IT.

I also just had my first what I consider bug from logic.

I forgot to make it so a coinblock turns empty after it spawns an item. The whole "triggered by another item hitting the coinblock" is intended.

Hell yeah, make it rain.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem

TomR posted:

I like it.

I'm a basketball expert.

gently caress filth, buncha cheaters.

I got buried under a coroutine shitpile yesterday. Bits of things worked, but nothing would chain together and the entire mess was just horrendous, so I went to bed.

I woke up this morning and, on my way to the bus, wondered what would happen if I added "yield return" in a few specific locations. So I wrote it on my hand.

Just got home and tried it out and half an hour later, basically all my problems are solved and I'm a millionaire now and grew an extra 2 inches taller.

Do your thinking on the bus, is what I'm saying.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem
Spent my day off filling my game with creative Commons music and SFX.

https://opengameart.org/content/lasso-lady-seamless-loop
:clint:

Looking through cc sounds effects libraries for laughter and swooshes is a horrifying experience. Those guys are out of their minds and I thank them for it.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem
Finally got my menus sorted. Now to just iron out the bugs and maybe make some box art in what little time I have left.

I'm super pumped to play all of these games. This is a good bunch of games.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem
I finished the thing!

It's small, and buggy, but it's done.

http://www.awfuljams.com/awful-summer-jam-2017/games/bootleg-miners

I simply tried to use the word bootleg as many times as I could, while bootlegging an older, better videogame.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem

nolen posted:

BOOTLEGS submitted! Enjoy, everyone :)

Holy poo poo I loving love BOOTLEGS.

I can't stop smiling.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem

Hammer Bro. posted:

Bootleg Miners -- This is the one where I realized sound wasn't working, so it also didn't have sound. I was sad that I couldn't appear to tool around with the siblings, but got a laugh out of the cart-hunt game. Though the carts only ever came up one at a time (instead of two), and I'm not sure if it went anywhere because there wasn't any obvious means to pick up the pace, so when I noticed my sound wasn't coming through on wave two I kinda wandered off.

Love the noise Gus makes when he rustles up, though.

2-Cart mode and Clay Shooting were flex goals and all the extra kickstarter money is going towards alcohol instead. In post-submission retrospect, shoulda stuck a cheat-key in that increased the round number to ramp up the speed, cause those early 2 or so rounds are molasses slow. Woops.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem

Giggs posted:

Bootleg Miners
Duck hunt, Tim Allen’s idiot sounds, NES cartridges being propelled by rockets through the air. It’s like a time machine to my childhood. I got pretty far in but if there’s an ending, I doubt I’ll be able to see it. The light-gun black flash thing works really nicely, and Gus makes a good noise. Good Noise Gus. It’s a little thin, but the increase in speed really gets to be a kick in the butt past level 10. Simple! Clean! Frustrating! Well done.

Thanks a tonne for the write-up! (And to the others as well) This was the first thing I've made since finishing the Unity tutorials. It's super great to hear that what I was trying to make (simple, small scope, nostalgic ripoff) turned out generally not horrendous.

I can't wait to play some of these when I get home from work. KurmFrog looks like the wild adventure in state sponsored education I sorely need.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem
Krum Frog Geach ABC is as delightful as it looks. Even the monster at the end, despite not really existing, gave me a goofy grin. Pretty much the whole time. All grins.

Tamale Drive has some killer artwork and fun minigames. Seriously killer art. Sad Max is a great movie.

DuM II: Heck on Earf is one of my favorites so far. The art is fantastic, and the impact of the sound effects hits hard in a satisfying DuM way.

Angry Minion Bird and Shrek is so goddamn stupid. I love it.

b00tl3g-kr3w has some great visual effects and is pretty funny. The actual bootlegs are great, but I never got to the end because walking left as Bootleg Mario made him disappear forever and I had to exit out. The increasingly incredulous player character was a nice touch.

I ain't much for typing writeups, but every single game so far has had something great about it. Everyone should be proud as punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

Hell Gem

Nate405 posted:

Bootleg Miners:
I loved how faithful this was to the original Duck Hunt, down to the light gun hitboxes when you fire. Gus's animations were funny.
Duck Hunt isn't very challenging with the precision of mouse input. Some additional mechanics and more varied enemies may have helped keep things interesting.

I got to the end of making it, looked back, and thought: "Oh gently caress, Duck Hunt is boring, and maybe always was." In retrospect I should have tried to improve on Duck Hunt, rather than rebuild it at it's simplest level. I should have built some crazy poo poo on top of my foundation.

It feels strangely excellent to to have my own negative thoughts about a creation echoed by the people who tried it out. Like having a giant highlighter drawn on my internal self-improvement checklist.

Your Naked Bootleg was a really pleasant suprise. I went from "Oh football?" to "Oh gently caress yeah football!" pretty quickly. That's some good tactics, man. Some good tactics.

• Locked thread