Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The artist friend I've been working with for the past 2 years worth of contests is moving to another state the second week of July, so the arbitrary delayed start date might mean I'm out an artist. I'll see what I can do, but I might end up needing an artist goon for my team.

I use Clickteam Fusion so I'll be making a 2D game... Though I'd definitely be open to designing and writing on a different type of game if a programmer is willing to do the heavy-lifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Here's a tiny sneak peak of what I'm going for this year:

:siren: Any sprite artists still looking for a team?
I need someone who can make some fairly simple RPG and platformer sprites. My usual non-goon artist and I should be able to handle the art for some of the more... unique minigames.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It's... something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wln38jNY48c

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So would including a bootleg-ized version of my game from the last jam in my 256-in-1 multicart be kosher? Yah or nah? Because, well...

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Presenting the fruit of my amazing artistic skills, HOG SON:

There is no way I will ever get close to finishing all of these games in time but let me dream.

JonTerp posted:

I don't see a rule against it so go hog wild.

Oh, I did. And am.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Last Visible Dog posted:

You're using Clickteam Fusion, right? Would you want some help filling out your bootleg games list? I'm pretty capable with MMF/CF and haven't got a project of my own in this jam.

That would be awesome, thanks! But unfortunately I have 2 artists, so that makes 3 people on my team, which is the max this year... One of them hasn't contacted me so far though, so I'll check and see if he's still planning on helping. If he isn't up for it I'll have room on my team for you. I'll let you know in the next couple days!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/GayAnimeDad/status/888314486192574465

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Last Visible Dog posted:

You're using Clickteam Fusion, right? Would you want some help filling out your bootleg games list? I'm pretty capable with MMF/CF and haven't got a project of my own in this jam.

My 3rd artist is out, so I've got room on my team if you're still interested!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Still haven't started work on most of my games past their title screens, no big deal
https://twitter.com/GayAnimeDad/status/889910172318957569

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I've been up busier than expected so being able to use the 1st is really going to come in handy. I'm definitely gonna have to cut out a few games though, namely Ironman vs The Naruto (it was going to involve a Megaman recolor fighting a Goku recolor) and maybe Gameball 98. Choose You Own Avemnture might be out too...
That aside, I'm not sure whether I should keep expanding on the playable minigames or keep it short so everyone can see the whole game on the Gong Show.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So I asked my friend who's helping me out with music to whip up a Donkey Kong arcade soundalike but he misunderstood and delivered an amazing Donkey Kong Country Jungle Japes soundalike. PANDA SUFFERER is supposed to be a retro game, but I'm not letting that song go to waste. Let's just pretend Super Mega 256-in-1 has an awesome sound chip included.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

12 or so hours left. Time to make the remaining 60% of my game.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/GayAnimeDad/status/892476713082396672

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Once again, I've ended up submitting a broken/incomplete build. This time it (should be) fully playable, but it's missing some games that are crucial to the experience, as well as a result for collecting all the gems.
I bit off more than I could chew this month, and I mistakenly thought I could finish everything by the end of the contest. But when it became clear that I wouldn't be able to get it all working (about 30 minutes before the deadline) I decided to cut out the incomplete stuff (or rather, block access to i) and submit the rest.

I'd like to fix it up with everything available and post it as a download link on its Awfuljams page. I'm assuming that's still kosher. EDIT: ok that answers that

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So I was able to catch some of the stream before heading to work this morning (well, morning for me) and I have to say, I'm surprised how much people seemed to not hate my game. There are a few things I want to clear up though!

First, the game is actually not meant to be that complex. I didn't have time to finish two of the games and redid the game with 15 minutes to spare (I forgot the jam was running on central time and thought I'd have a bit longer to test it out.). Several level/game jumps took you to the wrong frames, meaning there's some parts of the game you missed, like Friend Bear's Funny Activity Pack and the coliseum battle against him. So basically, the game you played is a hosed up abomination and should be destroyed. The actual game I was able to submit for the contest was unfortunately not what I'd planned and the public build will have most of the issues fixed.
Similarly, the wingdings in Panda Sufferer were displayed that way because your computer was looking and failing to find a Capcom font. I forgot to convert the text to objects in that particular level. Like someone kindly translated, it's "RESCUE PRIESTESS"! And "OHH! Priestess."
Next up, the RPG game: the random encounter system didn't work well, and I've since fixed it. That being said though, if you press f, you use the run command and instantly end the battle.
Lastly, the scan lines shouldn't be showing up the way they did in the stream. They're definitely not supposed to be THAT annoying!

While the game leaves you to figure some stuff out on your own, the public build is much less aimless and complete.
That being said, the game show interface is the same. It was much easier for me to use the quiz object than script it myself, and I personally felt that it didn't detract too much from the full package.
I'm typing this on my phone from work, so when I get back I'll post the public build. Hopefully you guys will play it!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nalesh posted:

SUPER MEGA 256-IN-1's download already 404's :v:

Oh for real? Well... not for long!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

This post comes a bit late, but here it is! The final public link for SUPER MEGA 256-IN-1!

Play [significantly less than] 256 games!

Experience anime!

Attempt to enjoy Friend Bear's Funny Activity Pack!

Discover the terrible secret of Gameball '98!

Test your knowledge!

man I don't even fuckin know

As mentioned before, this build is MUCH more stable and complete than what was shown off on the Gong Show, as well as a bit easier to follow.

I'd really, REALLY appreciate it if you guys could give it a play through and post your impressions/offer feedback!

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 7, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I kinda hope it doesn't expand past SA to be honest. I enjoy that it's an annual community event and I think ditching that would be a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Things are getting kind of heated here... we should all play some Super 256-in-1 to calm down imho

Dieting Hippo posted:

The schedule is starting to fill up! We've got BBA Slam with TomR tomorrow at 6 and then Soul Castle with Gunzil on Friday at 6. If you and/or your teammates want to come talk about your game, PM me here or on Discord with the time slot you want.

edit: Three slots left, thanks to Giggs, Wazzit, blastron, and Ultigonio for all offering to come on as well!

drat, I'd love to do this but my time zone is 16 hours ahead. Will the streams be archived?

• Locked thread