Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

oh, well poo poo, those are two peripherals i know i'll need to optimize my workflow.

again with the "pro" mac that completely misunderstands what anyone who has an actual use for one wants.

I don't think you understand what apple con/prosumers look for in a product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

no because nvidia made stebe sad sometime around the turn of the century and now apple has to get by with whatever poo poo amd puts out

so it's a vega

lol amd made up a new sub-brand so it would be harder to compare to proper video cards.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the ability to never add in cheap storage or standard pci add-on cards?

being forced to use a comedy option graphics card that can never be replaced, for the lifetime of the product, surely.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
I'm the repeated references to machine learning when several frameworks have like 0 support for amd gpus

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

lol amd made up a new sub-brand so it would be harder to compare to proper video cards.

it's the firegl / firepro but with the new gpu

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FamDav posted:

I'm the repeated references to machine learning when several frameworks have like 0 support for amd gpus

coreml bro, it's coreml

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

being forced to use a comedy option graphics card that can never be replaced, for the lifetime of the product, surely.

that's not what they want. what they want is the unique grey keyboard and mouse and the higher price point.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i want to know how long that thing will be able to run under load before thermal throttling kicks in. between the 100+ watt xeon and amd's track record with power consumption i'm guessing it's measured in seconds.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
it's got liquid metal cooling

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

thunderbolt 3, bro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cool, peripheral boxes

how does that work with my resolutionary imac pro screen?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shaggar posted:

it comes w/ dual 1080tis, right?

laughed out loud at this

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

thunderbolt 3, bro

egpu is great for non-hardcore gamers, but there is nowhere near the bandwidth you'd need for workstation gpus and usage patterns

besides, only idiots showing off will buy it, and they won't go for an egpu solution

it really is a very poorly positioned product, not like apple needs the money, so how can they possibly not get what would be the sort of thing which would create good pr and a happy fanbase (i.e. make another cheesegrater mac but make it suitably ridiculous so it *actually* trashes pc competitors, at whatever price)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idk I mean I'm one of the actual ~*creative professionals*~ in this forum and 100% of my work can be done on a mid-range laptop with a decent external monitor

this is true of the vast majority of all tasks people talk about when they say they need some top of the line computer that they actually just want to play 4k dota on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have a friend with a specific use case for the old cheese grater mac pro. he does audio production work and uses a bunch of dedicated DSPs on PCI-E cards for certain kinds of audio effects.

of course he just uses a pc now, and has for almost a decade, but previously he was a mac user.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's not going out on a limb to guess that 95% of all imacs pro will be sold to spoiled trust fund babies going to $70k/year open admission art schools

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FamDav posted:

even stuff which does support opencl is unusable on macs because opencl on macs is broken dog poo poo, despite it being invented at apple

idk why any actual "pro" users would build anything around macs anymore given apple's propensity for just dropping support for stuff with no warning. there are several concert halls either nursing old macs or left with a pile of good gear rendered useless since apple dropped firewire support and the thunderbolt->firewire adapters don't supply enough bus power to run a lot of equipment.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

just use a pcie firewire card

...oh

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
i do live video+3D processing and microsoft's offerings have been slaying apple for a while so I guess this is nice

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

i have a friend with a specific use case for the old cheese grater mac pro. he does audio production work and uses a bunch of dedicated DSPs on PCI-E cards for certain kinds of audio effects.

of course he just uses a pc now, and has for almost a decade, but previously he was a mac user.

the 2009/2010 Mac Pro is still amazing and will be supported by high Sierra

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

qirex posted:

it's the only way to get the exclusive space grey keyboard and tragic macpad

plus 5 grand is just for the base model :getin:

i went through the order form for the last mac pro model and picked out all the upgrades and bells and whistles just to try it

the subtotal was like $24k

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

idk I mean I'm one of the actual ~*creative professionals*~ in this forum and 100% of my work can be done on a mid-range laptop with a decent external monitor

this is true of the vast majority of all tasks people talk about when they say they need some top of the line computer that they actually just want to play 4k dota on

yeah, i mean, it is fully as much part of the matter that the current imac is fine for the vast majority of areas of creative work, but that does not make the imac pro a better idea

pram
Jun 10, 2001
uhh its the rebirth of the unix workstation. now you can fulfill your 90s larping fantasies of using a $40k sgi

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if that were true it'd be eyerending teal or purple

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

coreml bro, it's coreml

coreml chili

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

courageML

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

distinct lack of courage in this latest Keynote

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk, I think it took a lot of courage to stand up in front of a crowd and announce a $5k all in one with amd graphics

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
I am continually baffled by how they get people to watch a keynote about tiny incremental changes in tyool 2017

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
they didn't, nobody watches that poo poo anymore ever since stebe died

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
lol if you don't ignore the keynote entirely and just review a list of bulletpoints after the fact in a matter of seconds

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

lol if you don't ignore the keynote entirely and just review a list of bulletpoints after the fact in a matter of seconds

lol if you value your time that much

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yo qirex i plan on setting up a sound system what receiver & speakers should i get

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

they didn't, nobody watches that poo poo anymore ever since stebe died

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i missed it, what happened?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

i missed it, what happened?
$5000 imac, apple venmo, and an amazon echo clone that costs twice as much and has bad voice recognition

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
oh and the watch now has a built in kaleidoscope feature that they felt like showing off even though it looked like a $0.99 app that a high school student built to teach himself swift

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
wow.

:rip: apple

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

FMguru posted:

$5000 imac, apple venmo, and an amazon echo clone that costs twice as much and has bad voice recognition

also you'll soon be able to watch the worlds best collection of original video content on an Apple TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FamDav posted:

also you'll soon be able to watch the worlds best collection of original video content on an Apple TV
youve been able to do that for a while though

• Locked thread