Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i watched the king of comedy on a plane the other day having never heard of it and its now become one of my favourite scorcese films, maybe only beaten by taxi driver. i checked out imdb and apparently it was a critical darling but complete box office bomb. thank you for reading my post and if you havent seen this movie it look it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
yeah op i like that film a lot was that the last (only?) time sandra bernhardt was good?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ScrubLeague posted:

yeah op i like that film a lot was that the last (only?) time sandra bernhardt was good?

apparently it was her first speaking role :stare:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

when rupert drops in to jerrys holiday house unannounced i legit got so anxious i almost turned the movie off

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Apparently Michael Cimino was supposed to direct it after the bomb that was Heaven's Gate but the second he asked for a budget increase the studio hosed him off to get Scorsese to direct. Mind you, this is coming from those fuckhead Medved brothers, so pinch of salt.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I will never understand why nobody knows about this movie. Sure, it may have bombed on its original run, but there's been enough time since then for it to be rediscovered,

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

rupert pupkin is so good and because he stays so calm you can't tell if he has already snapped or has even more insanity hiding beneath the surface

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Thank you for loving pupkin op

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

steinrokkan posted:

I will never understand why nobody knows about this movie. Sure, it may have bombed on its original run, but there's been enough time since then for it to be rediscovered,
i think only scorsese's violent and/or hedonistic films have become a part of the wider cultural consciousness, which is a shame since he's done so many great things in other genres and tones. this particular film should've been heralded as a landmark cringe comedy by now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There was an entire round table event + screening + gallery hall dedicated to this movie at a museum near me recently and it was the first time I had heard of it. I should probably watch it

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

There was an entire round table event + screening + gallery hall dedicated to this movie at a museum near me recently and it was the first time I had heard of it. I should probably watch it

im not going to discuss the ending until you report back

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Spoderman posted:

rupert pupkin is so good and because he stays so calm you can't tell if he has already snapped or has even more insanity hiding beneath the surface

hes legit scarier than travis bickle lol. the fact he just keeps getting crazier as the movie goes on without changing his facade or behavior is win

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
that stand up routine he does about kidnapping the host is good stuff.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
So is the standup at the end real or just his imagination? Laughter sounds too artifical to be real, but then American TV audiences are weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Convex posted:

So is the standup at the end real or just his imagination? Laughter sounds too artifical to be real, but then American TV audiences are weird

that is certainly real. people will laugh at anything if theyre told its good

• Locked thread