Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Maxwell Lord posted:

Lesnar being the champ has kinda done a number on my interest. He's rarely on TV, and there's not a real sense of him being involved in stories or anything- he's a part time guy who shows up to work a few big matches, and so the RAW main event scene is just sorta quiet. It's like "Okay, but who should we be following? Who should we be rooting for?" It really doesn't feel like anyone is getting a push right now.

I remember right after Mania that I thought they were finally doing Brock The Offscreen right. On the one hand, you had Rollins, finally getting some loving traction as a face and starting to, as Austin said, figure out who he was as a character was with the promos about how he wouldn't run from Stephanie to be on Smackdown and doing things the easy way was the biggest mistake of his life. He comes out and says he fought Brock once, but he's a far different man today than he was in that match and now he is BEGGING for the chance to fight Lesnar again. On the other hand, you had Balor, fresh off his injury, red hot with the fans, its the match everyone wants to see because Finn is the only guy who's beaten Roman clean and thus their last desperate hope for an alternative out of universe and the uncrowned champion who never lost his title with his special Demon Paint Powers that kayfabe might give him and edge nobody else has in universe. On top of that, you had the fact that Rollins caused Balor's injury, which at the moment they had more or less dropped but was something that could easily be picked back up to fill in some story. And lastly, you had the newly arrived Bray, a perfect foil for The Demon despite his shattered credibility, and the still hot Samoa Joe who already had great groundwork with Seth laid, to serve as gatekeepers between Our Two Heroic Rivals and the Final Boss.

It was all so perfect. Brock's presence loomed over everything without him needing to be there because he served as a mountain that the two faces were constantly promising that they would climb, and with Joe and Bray and (presumably) Heyman around to provide obstacles to that goal, we would have every reason to root for either or both of them to finally get that match and delude ourselves into thinking maybe they could win instead of just setting up Roman at next Mania.

Instead we have this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Rhonne posted:

Remember when he won the New Day feud without ever getting the tag titles?

That New Day feud was great, even the dumb swamp brawl that was clearly ripping off the Broken Hardyz had good parts in it that shined through its overall stupidness. Bray and Xavier told a hell of a story in that blowoff match, the way Bray went over and how much New Day sold the family was one of the biggest reasons people had hope for Bray going into the Brand Split, and every guy in both stables justified their presence and added to the whole of the feud over its duration, even Erik freakin' Rowan.

You should have said "Remember when he 'pinned,' Dean Ambrose after the guy defeated himself with an exploding TV?" Although I supposed technically Dean won that feud with the Ambulance match...

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I for one am glad it seems they're doing Bray/Seth and Roman/Finn rather than Finn/Bray.

I mean, who WOULDN'T want to see Roman destroy Finn Balor three or four matches strait so Vince can be satisfied that we'll forget that he beat him once on a random Raw? Much better that Bray fight Rollins, because Rollins is known for his engaging promo style that will totally play well off of Bray's, and his character would never undermine Bray's already razor-thin credibility with snarky comments and general cocky disregard for his opponent's threat level.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I have followed her since before she was even that popular in NXT and the fact that people actually believe this is absolutely baffling.

People believe it because they saw and were told by every pundit and insider that Bayley has a unique ability to connect with children, both the young boys who already watch the show and acting as a draw to young girls who don't watch the show. She also has a poo poo ton of marketable features to her character and outfit that can translate into merchandise.

We were told for years and years that the reason WWE ignored their audience reactions and core fanbase's dislike of Cena was because he was popular with kids and sold so much merchandise that nothing else mattered. The logic is pretty clear: Bayley connects with kids, in fact even more than Cena if she can pull in little girls without losing little boys, and she's super merchandiseable, and as the cherry on top she was the one out of the Four Horsemen of their WOMEN'S REVOLUTION(tm) that the core fanbase liked the most. If she can do everything that Cena could do, plus everything Cena COULDN'T do, you would have to be an idiot not to push her as your top star, especially in an era after Ronda Rousey already proved that a woman could fill that Top Star role even in a male dominated sport if she's handled properly.

I don't know if I agree with all of that, but I certainly don't find myself in shocked disbelief that anyone could think it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

DoctorGonzo posted:

Didnt we like hated Cenas guts? Where did this Bayley is the next Cena stupid thing came from?

The fact that WWE's actions have made it clear that the only thing they would allow to replace Cena was something functionally identical to Cena rather than something new, so people were hoping that we could get somebody we like in that spot instead of somebody we hate.

Instead we got Roman. On the bright side, he taught us just how dumb we were to not like Cena while we had him.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

One thing Dave Meltzer keeps repeating over and over again that I am increasingly convinced is right is that there are powerful people in WWE who think that Daniel Bryan's rise is the new template for how to make a star with their modern audience, but they don't realize/accept that Bryan got over IN SPITE of how he was treated, not because of it. The fact that it became possible to retcon years of awful booking into this incredible underdog narrative that synched up with their Evil Authority storyline by pure coincidence, I think its made them drink the kool-aide in the belief that that had actually been their plan all along.

If they really think it was the constant embarrassment and crushing defeats and goofy comedy that made people love Daniel Bryan because he was such an underdog, the way they've booked Bayley, Sasha, Dean, Seth, and a bunch of other guys, up to and including Roman, makes a lot more sense.

Cavauro posted:

Cena hasn't even worked a single house show since 2006. Orton since 2009.

I saw Orton wrestle a house show in 2014.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

BrigadierSensible posted:

A WWE hall of famer in the white house, a Zack Sabre Jr. endorsed hippy at no. 10, (possibly). Has there ever been a greater time for the confluence between wrestlemans and politicians?

Only if Kane gets elected Mayor. An actual wrestler must hold public office for this period to surpass Jesse Ventura being a state governor.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Cavauro posted:

bayley is being booked as the identifiable loser nerd girl who's being bullied by the cheerleader in order to appeal to little kids just like everyone wanted. I remember a group of people here, and I believe you were a part of it, even specifically committee-booked a similar weapons match with the same storyline. Why are you suddenly renouncing all blame? it's Time to "pain the piper" as they say

I'm going to guess nobody here included "Bayley loses the title clean to the mean cheerleader before the weapon match" or "Bayley loses the weapon match in crushing and humiliating fashion that permanent damages her characters credibility," in thier booking outline.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Boo, no more Dean looking on with a combination of wonder and terror as Daniel Bryan does weird hippy things

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

DoctorGonzo posted:

https://twitter.com/NiaJaxWWE/status/874025835656871937

This tweet is better than Bayleys entire career.

Why is Nia posting cutesy tweets about the woman who screwed her out the title a week ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

RacistGuidingLight posted:

It's "neat" when they maintain their fiction throughout their day to day life, but I would never ask them to.

I mean, I'm not expecting her not to ride in the same car as Alexa to preserve kayfabe for the sake of random fans in the street or whatever, but the official WWE twitter accounts are consistently in-character. I believe several wrestlers even have second Out Of Character accounts specifically because they're expected to keep their WWE profile in-character. The announcers regularly reference the official twitter accounts for plot points and WWE.Com displays recent updates, the company clearly considers them part of the overall fiction they put out. If all of that weren't the case and the twitter accounts were just theirs I would agree, but given all those facts a tweet like that is a pretty major immersion break. Strowman isn't tweeting video of him goofing around with Roman on the weekends.

• Locked thread