Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

WadeBartender posted:

Roman actually knows how to wrestle good matches though, the only thing Alexa anywhere near his level is the ability to make nerds horny but Roman's still better at that.
Alexa is leagues ahead of Roman on the mic, actually. She's definitely not as good in the ring, although it'd be nice if she could be put in multi(wo)man matches with top tier workers and get to take a nap and then hit all her spots. Still, Roman's much better in one on one matches - but he sucks at talking.

It's very strange that the anti-Alexa posters consistently argue that a woman's only value is her looks :thunk:

Anyway Bayley in NXT had basically an identical character arc to Sami Zayn. She doesn't remind me of Cena at all, but I think that argument used to be about her potential merch sales. I'm not sure "I'm a hugger" is even going to compare to "Never Give Up" for crossover appeal though. I thought it was interesting that the dual chants at Extreme Rules were very deep voices for Bayley, and higher pitched voices for Alexa. I know its been mentioned in interviews that she has a lot of young girl fans... Personally I didn't like Alexa as a face, but with those existing fans, her natural underdog appearance (SO TINY) and her real-life overcoming adversity, she might fill the role that others expected of Bayley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Do not even ask posted:

you say that as if that's some kind of accomplishment

being a better promo than roman reigns, the unvaultable bar
She's a better promo than almost everyone - and certainly all of the other women. The reason I specified Roman Reigns is because the claim was, and I quote: "Roman actually knows how to wrestle good matches though, the only thing Alexa anywhere near his level is the ability to make nerds horny but Roman's still better at that."

Please post better!

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

it makes me look silly for watching it, so it'd be a p. deece heel move

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

*The Miz spins and rolls all over Ambrose while Maryse goes wild clapping and cheering*

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

uh, as I ALREADY SAID, i am the one that looks like a retard and my mom, my boss and my high school crush all walk into the room right when she does it

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

bayley doing that move makes me, the viewer, look like a retard for watching her do that in my cartoonish fake fighting 3-hour-circus TV show.

and then authority figures and romantic interests from a very sensitive time in my life walk in, and think 'what a retard' and i am ashamed and my life is ruined. thanks bayley! wear the loving mask, bayley!

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

satan is so loving cool...... wish i was satan :pray:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

That DICK! posted:

What do you think the Kurt/Corey stuff is building to
scott steiners return

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Dana fucks dolph ziggler

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

i think jokes and fun are better than boring sincere posts, so if you're going to be earnest you had better have something to type worth reading. lemme try!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

What in the ever loving gently caress does this have to do with anything? Yes, talent botches. That's clearly the issue, not the systematic terrible writing, worse booking, and a fundamental either lack of knowing what works in wrestling, promos, and character work, or just not giving a gently caress that the people backstage are largely terrible.

I think there's a strong case to be made that being a safe worker is the most fundamental element of being 'good' in the ring. I like the Miz a lot but it was definitely an issue for a while that anyone doing a high-flying move towards him was running a serious risk of going splat. Great wrestling, or even good wrestling involves a lot more elements and a lot of nuance but the bare minimum is protecting yourself and your opponent in the ring. It's not particularly relevant to the discussion about what ruins people on the main roster, which is often (but not always) more about the work backstage rather than the performers onstage but I do think its worth mentioning in a discussion about what makes a 'good' wrestler vs. a 'bad' wrestler.

To give another example, someone commented that Bayley and Sasha suck now on the main roster. I think Bayley is still bad on the mic, maybe even worse than before being called up (which may have to do with the material she's given), but she's capable of putting on a good match. Sasha is also bad on the mic (IMO) but in contrast with Bayley, she has injured other wrestlers and has put herself in danger of being injured herself. She can have, and has had, entertaining matches, but I think she's fundamentally worse than Bayley because we can trust that Bayley will work safely.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

trip report: made a sincere post, re-read it, it bored me, got zero quotes
conclusion: shitposting is the path to enlightenment and happiness

i skipped smackdown to play P5 and i think the only thing i need to youtube is fashion files

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

I know at least I enjoyed watching Bayley look like a dumb idiot baby and get the life beat out of her with a kendo stick for a few minutes. Would watch again.
:yeah: i hope we get a few more matches where Alexa makes people look like pathetic losers. Meltzer can give those all DUDs too :grin:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

VJeff posted:

She certainly is better at swinging a stick than she is at wrestling, I will give you that.

then can we agree that all her future matches should involve her brutally beating the poo poo out of her opponent with a kendo stick and retaining the championship?

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

VJeff posted:

She's basically the Enzo of the women's division.
:chloe:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

JT Smiley posted:

What is it about Alexa that attracts the worst fanbase possible? Is it because she dressed as Harley Quinn a couple times?

im an extremely good poster, actually

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

:mad: im gonna post 10x as often because of you jerks

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm more confused by the part where he says "I give them free range to throw their best punch — and just know that I’m going to punch back" because that's a lot less fair than it sounds. People can and do cut strong promos on Cena, but his tactic of treating them as inferior or even a joke is going to seem extremely legitimate because he's been booked so strongly for so long. It's hard to act like you're on even ground with Cena when he has a thousand accolades under his belt and you don't.

This would be less of an issue if Cena lost more feuds, but losing one match and then winning 3 is naturally going to impact someone's motivation.

I think this isn't as true nowadays, but there was a long time where facing Cena meant you would go from 'a potential star' to 'just like everyone else.'

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I wonder how much of the problem is actually people getting lazy. A match against Cena is going to get a good amount of time in front of a hot crowd with a worker that wants to bring his A-game. Very few wrestlers get responses like Cena (Reigns is getting there), so the post-Cena feud isn't going to have the same level of crowd energy. If your next feud is, say, Orton, he's not bringing his A-game to the promos or the match. So even if you're still working hard, you're pretty hamstrung by factors out of your control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

:syoon: yesss I was just saying this should happen

• Locked thread